Friday, June 30, 2017

The Secret History of Us by Jessi Kirby ARC Reveiw

32940573
BLURB
In this gorgeously written, emotional novel that fans of Sarah Dessen will enjoy, a teenage girl must piece together the parts of her life she doesn’t remember after a severe collision leaves her with no memory of the past four years.

When Olivia awakes in a hospital bed following a near-fatal car accident, she can’t remember how she got there. She figures it’s because she was in a coma for a week, but as time goes on, she realizes she’s lost more than just the last week of her life—she’s lost all memory of events that happened years ago. Gone is any recollection of starting or graduating high school; the prom; or her steady boyfriend Matt. Trying to figure out who she is feels impossible when everyone keeps telling her who she was.

As Liv tries to sort out her family and friends’ perceptions of her, the one person she hasn’t heard enough from is Walker, the guy who saved her the night her car was knocked off that bridge into the bay below. Walker is the hardened boy who’s been keeping his distance and the one person that has made Liv feel like her old self…whoever that is. With feelings growing for Walker, tensions rising with Matt, and secrets she can’t help but feel are being kept from her, Olivia must find her place in a life she doesn’t remember living.
 

REVIEW
TWO AND A HALF TO THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
Ahh, good ol' amnesia, and accidents. Nothing like a story that you have to piece together. Makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes--and I love Sherlock Holmes.

In the case of this book, I was Sherlock Holmes,--who deduced the entire mystery of the story in a short couple of minutes. There wasn't much to solve. Unfortunately there were no secrets and very little history, despite the title. I was once again foiled by an elusive and slightly misleading title.

To make it short, this book is a series of puzzle pieces that once together, presented a pretty uninteresting and a barely there spark of a story. I followed along page by page hopeful for some eye-opening aha moment--but what I got instead is a story with decent characters and not much else going on.

That was the problem. Not much went on. In a story like this one you would expect quite a bit to be lingering under the surface but the story was that, surface. Surface details, surface back-story, and just a lot of nothing--and I am disappointed.

The story is perfectly readable and fluid, with characters you want to know more about but like I mentioned a couple of times already you barely reach the surface of who they are, and what they are hiding--perhaps what they were hiding just wasn't all that interesting.

I gotta admit it really had potential but again the whole mystery answer thing fell short for me. If this was merely a contemporary, it would've been better--adding the mystery hindered instead of helped.

I wanted more but I just didn't get it. Ahh well.

I'd recommend this to fans of books, like With Malice, and This is Our Story.

12 comments:

  1. Awww sorry to hear this one fell short. I'm picky about reading stories like this since a lot seem to be predictable. I'm gonna pass on this one, thanks for saving me some time lol.

    Oh With Malice was one I definitely enjoyed! Have you heard of Kara Thomas? I've heard her books are really great at keeping you guessing. She's coming out with a new book next month too called Little Monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww man! I love Jessi Kirby's writing, so this is one of my most anticipated reads, but this doesn't sound like it has the usual depths of her book. I'm still going to give it a try, but I will lower my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you read a synopsis and it's like, wow, this sounds so good you couldn't make it boring if you tried. And then an author proves you wrong. Ha. Sounds like there was so much untapped potential in this one. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw too bad you didn't enjoy this one. I was thinking that this one would be good but yea, you have to want to know their secrets. Hope the next one is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boo!! I have this one and now I am not as excited. I wonder if I will figure it out as quick!! Great review1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that's a bummer this one wasn't better! I'm a fan of piecing together and figuring out mysteries so it's a shame that this one was so easily solved. I hope your next read is better!

    Thanks for the honest review!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this one wasn't really for you. I just saw it on Goodreads today and it sounds pretty good, now I don't know though. Maybe I'll try it, we'll see. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohno. Such a promising plot turned sloppy. I was hoping this was going to be a great mystery/suspense novel, but I guess not. :(

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete