Monday, January 9, 2017

Rise of Fire Sophie Jordan ARC Book Review

BLURB
The richly suspenseful sequel to Sophie Jordan’s romantic fantasy Reign of Shadows.

Luna and Fowler have escaped the kingdom of Relhok, but they haven’t escaped the darkness. When a battle against the dark dwellers mortally injures Fowler, Luna is faced with a choice: put their fate in the hands of mysterious strangers or risk losing Fowler forever.

Desperate to keep the one bright part of her life alive, Luna accepts the help of soldiers from a nearby kingdom. Lagonia’s castle offers reprieve from the dangerous outside world—until the king discovers both Fowler's and Luna’s true ties to Relhok and their influence over the throne.

Now pawns in each kingdom’s political game, Luna and Fowler are more determined than ever to escape and build the life they’ve been dreaming of. But their own pasts have a tight hold on their hearts and their destinies. Luna must embrace the darkness and fire within her before she loses not only Fowler, but the power she was destined to inherit.

REVIEW
*A SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER FOR THIS REVIEW COPY*
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS

Reading a series is tough, because if enough time comes between you and the next book, there's a lot lost. I hate that. I hate feeling like I walked in on a conversation and I'm trying to keep up although I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

With this series, there was a lot of lost details. Although I really loved the original I had to spend a large amount of time, trying to remember exactly what this story was about. Sadly, when I did start to recall a lot of the details (some remained fuzzy, even to the end.) I found that I didn't miss this story as much as I thought I would.

It's not that it was written poorly or anything, I just didn't have as much fun with this story as I did the first time. I went against the grain originally and liked this one more than I seen most people did. But, now, I'm joining most of you in my sort of like/dislike with this novel/series. I don't completely dislike this sequel but I have to say I am a little disappointed.

I've lost my connection the characters and the story, and now that I am almost an outsider I'm not that into it anymore. I still have some semblance of appreciation for the characters and their plight--but I found that I just wasn't invested. I wasn't there.

Thankfully it wasn't even nearly all bad.

What I liked: Strong Feminine Lead/MC: Luna was not weak by any means. I am all for standing on your own feet, female MC's. Not to mention her character was likeable, and multi-faceted.

The Love Interest: Although I found his character to be a little flat this time around, it's clear he's still book boyfriend material.

The action: Once the story started to get rolling, (I want to say more towards the end half of the novel.) things did get pretty interesting. There were a few twists that made the book a bit more exciting, which I was happy for you. It just should've happened a little earlier, to be honest.

I think I pretty much covered what I didn't like. But, in a nutshell it just wasn't much going on in the first half which is tough, for a series that is far from my mind at this point.

I can't blame it all on the book. The fact is there was too much time between this book and book one and I just didn't remember enough, and I was far less invested than I was originally. That kind of messed things up for me.

It was pretty much a combination of lack of connection, and investment--and a story that waited far too long for things to kick off.

I'm not saying it's a total loss, but I'm not too happy.

I'd say this a great read for those of us who like fantasy, and don't want to invest into a lengthy series. This is actually more of a duology. There's also not too many details to trudge through, if you don't like too much of that.

14 comments:

  1. I didn't love this one as much as the other one either. I was annoyed with the characters and the lack of real action.
    All of this author's books never reach their full potential, which sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this one was pretty lackluster, which is a shame!

      Delete
  2. Once upon a time, I wanted to read the first book. But after many not-so-good reviews, I changed my mind. It sure looks like I'm not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one I really enjoyed. This one, not so much. I mean, I guess if you're not even going to be bothered with the second, why read it at all?

      Delete
  3. It an be hard waiting, especially if there is a long wait. Sorry you lost something between releases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that feeling a lot with series where I can't remember and it takes me so long to get into book 2 or whatever. Sorry this wasn't better for you! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. Sometimes it is good that I don't get to a series right away and it looks like I lucked out here. I'm also glad to hear it is a duology so I don't get too far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah at least it's only two books, but man it sucks to have so much time between the two.

      Delete
  6. i always thought the first book was a standalone...I really need standalones because series are starting to stress me out lol :P
    Kariny @ Kariny's Boox Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I feel you girl! But two books is not so bad.

      Delete
  7. I remember when Reign of Shadows came out and it seemed like it was a total mixed bag of reviews. I decided to give it a pass. The follow-up doesn't sound bad, it just seems like they probably need to be read back to back. Or at least they story would flow better if the books were read back to back. Sorry this one didn't exactly wow you.
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might have helped, but I still think this book could have given me more, ya know?

      Delete