Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Silent Waters (Elements, #3) by Brittainy Cherry--BEST BOOK OF THIS YEAR, HANDS DOWN!


BLURB
Moments.

Our lives are a collection of moments. Some utterly painful and full of yesterday's hurts. Some beautifully hopeful and full of tomorrow's promises.

I’ve had many moments in my lifetime, moments that changed me, challenged me. Moments that scared me and engulfed me. However, the biggest ones—the most heartbreaking and breathtaking ones—all included him.

I was ten years old when I lost my voice. A piece of me was stolen away, and the only person who could truly hear my silence was Brooks Griffin. He was the light during my dark days, the promise of tomorrow, until tragedy found him. Tragedy that eventually drowned him in a sea of memories.

This is the story of a boy and girl who loved each other, but didn’t love themselves. A story of life and death. Of love and broken promises.

Of moments.

REVIEW
FIVE KAJILLION STARS!
*(This can be read as a stand-alone.)

There are very few books in my lifetime that I can honestly say, moved me. Sure, lots of them make me laugh, or make me angry--but, not many, move me. Some are simply enjoyable, and make you feel something in that moment, but some, resonate something inside of you--some hidden personality trait or feeling. Something about the book does something to you--The Silent Waters did that for me.


The Silent Waters is my favorite book of this year. When I finished this book I reached out to my bookish bestie, and closest friend, Tika from FangirlAvue (Check me out, plugging another blog. But, check out her blog seriously, seriously witty and funny chick there! Check Her Out!)

Anyway I reached out to her, because I was overcome with such emotion. I thought I would burst without talking about it--even though she hadn't read it and didn't have a clue what I was blathering about. I was happy to just talk about it, and convince someone else to read this book.

This was one powerful read. Okay, let me attempt to talk about this book, coherently.

Basically the book is about a girl who is a seriously happy child, in love with a boy who thinks she's icky. They're at that stage in life. She then suffers a tragic event and becomes mute as a result of it. Trapped in the confines of her own body, unable to speak. The boy sticks around as a friend, a really good friend. And they pretty much grow up together. One becoming famous, the other house ridden.

What was so outstanding about this book, was the authors capability to give a voice to a voiceless character. I was often frustrated by the character's lack of speech, but I felt for her character so much. I was connected to the characters struggles and it in turn took a place in my heart. 

As a quiet person, I've often felt like I didn't have a voice, because I wasn't as loud as the next person. Or my presence wasn't as strongly felt as someone who wasn't as quiet. I was accused of being sneaky, and mysterious. I still don't know if that's a compliment or not. Either way I'm at the stage of my life where I don't give a rats hiney. I am who I am. 

Enough of that, back to the story. What I also really liked was the fact that although Maggie, our main character, didn't physically speak, the author made sure she never faded into the background. You really felt her presence, her character, her growth. That's talent right there.

Aside from Maggie, all of the characters had depth, and a presence that I felt in every single page. Like, Brooks. I mean, can we just have a moment of silence, for the best book boyfriend ever??!

Brooks, *heavy sigh* he has to be one of my favorite characters of all time. Every sentence, every moment I cherished. His character is so unbelievably caring, and deep--and loving. Man, I loved his character so, so much. I can't describe him justly, so I won't bother but by the end of this novel, you'll love him. Trust me!

This book was wonderfully written, carefully constructed--and powerful in a quiet way. I nearly wept at the end. Guys, I. NEARLY. WEPT. ME?!

I am moved--simply by having been able to have read this book, and I know it seems like I'm laying it on. But, there is a reason this book has a ton of five star reviews on Goodreads.

The characters have such a depth, you feel as if you know them. The music, the words, the unrelentingly loving father. There is so much good, with this novel. I could go on and on.

It's underrated at even five stars. It's an amazing, poignant, delicious read--that I will recommend at every minute I have. 

Please read this book, if you don't do it for me, do it for yourself. Your bookish heart will thank you.

Favorite quotes:

“You’re my favorite kind of sound.” 



“The world keeps spinning because you heartbeats exist” 



“You don’t have to speak,” he whispered, running his tongue against my bottom lip, loving me hard, deep, fast, and slow. His mouth grazed against my ear before he sucked it gently. “But by all means, you’re more than welcome to scream.” 



19 comments:

  1. Woo hoo for those amazing reads! I'll have to check this out more. So glad you got an amazing book read this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! I'm so glad you loved this one so much. That's always a great feeling. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow 5 bajillion stars!! I am happy that it can be read as a standalone so I will check it out now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I have *never* seen you gush about a book like this!!! I must read this book! I own the first two books already in the (companion?) series but maybe I should just skip straight ahead to this one. You have me practically jumping out of my chair excited for this one, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best book of the year??? I'm definitely adding it to my GR. I love when peoples favorite books are books I havent heard of and not the generic 'popular YA fantasy' so thanks for the rec!

    Nereyda│ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope you read and love this one, as much as I did!

      Delete
  6. OMG! You have me wanting this one! I have it marked to bug my library about since they don't have it yet. :) I may have to read this one before the other 2 with the way you are describing it. Yea, I do need to read this one. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that when to reviewing books, you can be very judgmental. And that is a good thing! You know what is good and what isn't, so I can always really trust your ratings. Which is why I know this one must be a fab read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed this book - I haven't heard about it but you pushed me to look into it now :) great review! Benish @ Beenazai

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH. YES. This sounds like such a heart-drumming, fun, even a sexy read (with that last quote you had at the bottom of your post) I'm not much for standalones but WHOO. YES. I NEED this one in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't she a great writer?! I just read the first book in this series and really enjoyed it. It was only my second book of hers that I've read so far, but I know I'll be reading more from her. The Air He Breaths was so emotional, so I know this one is even more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you thought The Air He Breathes is good, you'll devour this one! UGHH it was so good!

      Delete