Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Dirty Like Me by Jaine Diamond Book Review



BLURB
A gorgeous rock star.
An indecent proposal.

How can a girl resist?



Struggling barista Katie Bloom doesn’t even know who Jesse Mayes is until she inadvertently wins the coveted role of sex kitten in his hot new music video. But by the time she’s in bed with him, she knows his reputation.


Love maker. Heartbreaker.



Making out with a stranger in front of a camera crew isn’t how Katie imagined herself getting over a broken heart, but when Jesse touches her, sparks fly. The sex is fake but the chemistry is real, and soon the steamy video is blazing up the charts.



Then Jesse makes Katie an irresistible offer: act as his girlfriend for six weeks while he promotes his new album. The only catch? Their sizzling make-out sessions will be for the cameras only.



Which is fine with Katie, since she's not about to trust her heart to rock's most legendary lover. Her body? Maybe…



REVIEW
Three and a half stars
* A special thanks to the author for this review copy*

New adult is never short on sexual tension, in fact, I think they stem from sexual tension. This story was no exception, The characters were hot for each other from page one, and while this all makes for fun reading--I wasn't fully convinced emotionally. I didn't find there to be a lot of emotional connection between the two. Maybe, it's me. But there seemed to be something lacking emotionally.

The story: Katie is besties with a talent agent, and during a chance encounter, at her best friend's office--pie, baristas and rock stars mix--and the next thing she knows she's staring in a music video, with Rock's latest IT star.

From the start of the video shoot they're drawn to each other like magnets. She's hot and he's hotter. Despite all of that there is some initial resistance--that is until Jesse, the hot rockstar--shows up at her door with an offer she's dying to refuse, but can't.

Jesse offers her a large sum of money in exchange for pretending to be his gf for six weeks. Eventually she agrees, and that's where the real story begins.

I am a music lover through and through, it's probably my second love, after books. So, I somehow find myself getting caught up in these rock star romances. While this one was decently written, had a nice vibe and kept me reading--like I mentioned previously there was a lack of emotional connection. I liked the fact the characters didn't jump into anything headfirst but something was missing emotionally. Sometimes emotionally scarred characters tend to be lacking in the emotion department--which might be a realistic reflection on how someone who is really emotionally scarred might act. So, in that regard I understand. But as a sucker for love, I love to see those little hints at romance--and I would have loved to see more of that here. Just because I want to.

Despite the slight disappointment I was pleased with the story, the pace, the plot and the characters. Readers will enjoy the fame and thrills the story provides, and if you love steamy stories--you'll love this one.

Amazon Buy Link:
http://amzn.to/2ePZvbk




9 comments:

  1. Great review! I am seriously always on the hunt for new rockstar romances since most of them are no bueno so I may check this out! This one is totally new to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I've even read NA but this does sound fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm... I've not had luck with rock romances but I'm usually willing to give it a try. This one may not be for me since I do think I'd miss the emotional connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious about this one! I think the music video thing is what attracts me first and foremost. Even if the rest of the trope (fake girlfriend/boyfriend thing) has been done before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really dislike it when I can't feel the emotional connection between the characters. I mean sexual tension is great, but give me emotional connection too. I'm glad you had fun with it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Jazmen! It's a little disappointing that there's not more of an emotional connection between the main characters, especially when the chemistry is apparently off the charts, but it still sounds like this is a fun read. The last rock star romance I read was kind of a dud so maybe this is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I disliked on most new adult are its book covers. Mostly are like that. I just can't bear to read new adult on public with covers like that. :(

    // Paper Boulevard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, hm.. sometimes it can be like that! With NA, I think they focus more on getting that decal tension more than focusing on the actual book. I would try it because LOOK AT THAT COVER THOUGH, but then when you say something was lacking in an emotional connection and that worries me. Like A LOT.O_o

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stinks there was that missing emotional piece but glad you enjoyed it anyways. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete