Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Disruption by Jessica Shirvington Book Review


19032994
BLURB
What if a microchip could identify your perfect match?
What if it could be used against you and the ones you love?

Eight years ago, Mercer Corporation’s M-Bands became mandatory. An evolution of the smartphone, the bracelets promised an easier life. Instead, they have come to control it.

Two years ago, Maggie Stevens watched helplessly as one of the people she loves most was taken from her, shattering her world as she knew it. 

Now, Maggie is ready. And Quentin Mercer – heir to the M-Corp empire – has become key to Maggie’s plan. But as the pieces of her dangerous design fall into place, could Quentin’s involvement destroy everything she’s fought for? 

In a world full of broken promises, the ones Maggie must keep could be the most heartbreaking.

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
THREE AND A HALF STARS
For a book that in my opinion didn't have much action going on, I never wanted to stop reading it. Jessica Shirvington, is one of those underrated authors. I don't know if it's because she's not an American author, that I don't see much of her, but she definitely deserve more attention than she gets.

Her books are well-written, a little slow-moving but darn good books. Yes, I said darn good.

Disruption is a story about a girl destined to save her dad, from the corrupt system she's being forced to live in. Maggie had a lot of tenacity and I liked that about her. But she was more caring than she let on, which I also liked. There was a nice balance of good and evil in her. I mean who wouldn't do whatever it took, to save their family?

While this book read pretty slow, I didn't waver in reading. I never wanted to put it down--or give up. I think that's pretty darn good writing, if you're asking me. 

Anyway, there was a romantic interest in the novel, and while it was kind of obvious what would happen--the author did a good job of slowing it down, and never rushing the characters--which we (readers) all hate. I mean who likes, insta-love? 

Needless to say with a plot like this one, there was quite a bit going on (not a lot of action, but a lot going on)--a lot of close calls, and near death situations--but it's dystopian, what do you expect?

The plot itself is kind of a mixture of previous dystopian titles, there's still a lot left to learn about the world--but you get the general idea and that's enough to keep you going. But for those of you that like a lot of background about the "worlds," you'll probably get that in the second book.

At the end of this I was pretty satisfied, and left wanting by the cliff-hanger-y ending. Shirvington has yet to let me down with any of her books--and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

10 comments:

  1. Sounded really good until the cliff-hangery ending. Lately I've been avoiding those, not because I dislike them that much, but just because I've been terrible about finishing series!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it! I think this one is only two books, so maybe you'll reconsider, less commitment lol.

      Delete
  2. I definitely liked this more than you but I'm glad you still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this so much, even though there isn't a lot of action. I'm always surprised when I enjoy books like that! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read anything by Shirvington but I feel like I see her name a lot. It's interesting that it was so unputdownable despite the slower pace. I haven't read a dystopian in quite a while so I might take a closer look at this one.
    Tanya @ GIRL PLUS BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the slowness didn't deter you from enjoy this book. I've been seeing this one in the blogosphere lately, but I just haven't the time to read slow books. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any book by Shirvington yet, but I've boon in the mood for a dystopian. Slowness doesn't necessarily deter me, it took me FOREVER to read each Raven Boys book and I still loved those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good Jazmen! I've been looking forward to reading this ever since I heard it was going to be released in the US! Now I just have to wait until that happens with the sequel, which seeing as their is a cliffhanger, I don't know if I'll be able to wait haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! This premise sounds awesome and I love how you described that you didn't want to stop reading despite not much action!

    ReplyDelete