Thursday, September 1, 2016

Three Truths And A Lie by Brent Hartinger Book Review

26927401
BLURB
Deep in the forest, four friends gather for a weekend of fun.

Truth #1: Rob is thrilled about the weekend trip. It’s the perfect time for him to break out of his shell…to be the person he really,really wants to be.

Truth #2: Liam, Rob’s boyfriend, is nothing short of perfect. He’s everything Rob could have wanted. They’re perfect together. Perfect.

Truth #3: Mia has been Liam’s best friend for years…long before Rob came along. They get each other in a way Rob could never,will never, understand.

Truth #4: Galen, Mia’s boyfriend, is sweet, handsome, and incredibly charming. He’s the definition of a Golden Boy…even with the secrets up his sleeves.

One of these truths is a lie…and not everyone will live to find out which one it is.
 

REVIEW
THREE AND A HALF OUT OF FIVE STARS
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
This review can also be found on Young Adult Book Central  HERE

Warning:Slight sexual content.

One of the better YA mysteries/thrillers I've read. I'm still not entirely sure I'm sold on the ending (I retract that statement--you'll see why), but the story itself definitely had me going.

What I liked: The pacing and the suspense of this story was dead on. It drew me in from page one. I was flipping through the pages furiously trying to figure out what was going to happen next. I was feeling very Sherlock-ish--except not smart enough to figure it out as fast. But, it didn't stop me from coming up with different scenarios, and what-if's.

The mystery: I honestly didn't know who was up to what, it was all very, 'I Know What You Did Last Summer.' Even as the story went on, I was pretty clueless despite my suspicions. (I wasn't right by the way.)

With a plethora of YA mysteries that kind of fall flat, this one wins in the most important categories--readability, suspense, untrustworthy characters (these kinds of characters help a mystery succeed in my book.), a mystery that can't be solved in the first half of the book--and finally being able to keep me on my toes. 

What I disliked:What I can say I didn't really care for is my lack of connection to the characters--I cared more about what happened to them, then I cared about what happened to them--if that makes any sense. It wasn't so much the characters but the circumstances. There was a lack of connect to the audience. I think it's because we don't get much back story. I'm not entirely sure it's necessary in a mystery but it might have given me something, or rather someone to root for.

Conclusion: Definitely one of the better YA mysteries--a nice addition to a mystery lover's library.

Strong points: Solid-ending, keeps you guessing and on your feet. Good suspense and mystery

Weak points: Romance is a little weak, and the characters could have been more interesting.

Still worth picking up!

11 comments:

  1. Glad this was a good one, it seems they can be so hit and miss in this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blurb for this book definitely catches my attention. I'm already kind of hooked on the mystery without reading a single page!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I am still waiting for a good YA mystery/thriller and this one sounds intriguing! The blurb is good and glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I love a good mystery/thriller so good to know the suspense is spot on in this one. Sorry about the lack of character connection though. I'd definitely be willing to give it a try. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you finally found a good YA mystery/thriller!! They are like unicorns - Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can get with books that are more plot-driven than character-driven. But there still has to be some empathy involved though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good YA thriller girl! Sure, it had some MEH-ISH points and some parts that you didn't really care for but I would actually still give it a try. ;) I'm glad that it keeps you on your feet because you know how you have some mysteries that feed you info and that ends up ruining the whole book. I'm glad that wasn't the case here! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. YA mystery/thrillers are so tricky. Glad this one wasn't a total fail. The disconnect with the characters is a little disappointing but it sounds like the plot helped make up for that. Glad this one kept you guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see that this one was a better YA mystery! Also, the blurb is pretty intriguing! I remember playing that 4 truths and a lie game and always failing at it, whoops.

    Awesome review Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't much of a YA mystery thriller fan... until Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco came along. Now I'm actually interested on them and in all honesty, this one sounds good despite the lack of character depth. I will try to get myself a copy of this one soon. Glad you enjoyed it, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading a review of this book on Goodreads, and thinking that it looked like something I'd enjoy. I may give this a go if the library gets it in. I don't think I want to buy it, just in case.

    ReplyDelete