Friday, September 16, 2016

The Boy Who Killed Grant Parker byKat Spears Book Review

BLURB
Luke Grayson’s life might as well be over when he’s sent to live with his Baptist pastor father in rural Tennessee after getting kicked out of his DC private school. His soulless stepmother is none too pleased to have him, and Luke’s bad boy status has done him no favors with his new principal or the local police chief. He’s also an easy target for Grant Parker, the local golden boy with a violent streak, who has the community of Ashland under his thumb and Luke directly in his crosshairs.
But things go topsy-turvy when, after a freak accident, Luke replaces Grant at the top of the social pyramid. This fish out of water has suddenly gone from social outcast to hero in a matter of twenty-four hours. For the students who have lived in fear of Grant all their lives, this is a welcome change. But Luke’s newfound fame comes with a price. Nobody knows the truth about what really happened to Grant Parker except for Luke, and the longer he keeps living the lie, the more like Grant he becomes.
REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the author and the publisher for this review copy*

The Boy Who Killed Grant Parker--is typical Spears contemporary. Solid characters, with real-life issues. 
In, The Boy Who Killed Grant Parker, we meet . He's forced to live with his father, after a series of events--the mother can no longer handle. She decides that it's best for to live with his father during senior year. doesn't think it's a good idea obviously--and comes to the small town with a negative opinion. He can do without his  preacher dad, and cookie-cutter step mother riding his back. And Grant Parker, hometown hero, and all-around bully--he could do without him too.

The only good thing about this small town is Penny--resident beauty, and Grant Parker's girlfriend.

Things are going pretty crappily, until a freak accident makes things worse for Luke. His once quiet miserable life--gets really interesting, in a put him on a pedestal--small town kind of way. 

What I really liked about this book, and Kat Spear's others books is her flawed characters--they tend to be as normal as can be. None of the guys are otherworldly beautiful--and even the girls that are, aren't perfect. Spears makes it a point to keep her characters as true to life as possible. That always makes her books easy to relate to, and this is no exception. 

It was a nice reading experience for me to watch the characters go through life--in the normal way that an everyday person might.

Despite that, I have to say there was a lack of connection for me with the main character--I think it's because I had no emotional experiences to connect to--but again, that could just be me. Luke wasn't a very emotional guy--at least not until the very end. 

What I also liked was the relationships that Luke had--they were a reflection of his person. You get to see the different sides, and the struggles of his personality. You get to see Luke grow--always good to see in these kinds of contemporaries. 

It was also nice to have a little bit of the religious aspect. It in no way is a major part of this story--but I liked seeing the two sides of it, and how by the end--Luke might have just switched positions.

All in all, I was pleased with this read--it wasn't my favorite of Spears'--I don't think anything can take the place of Sway--(Yes, I'm still talking about Sway in my third review for Kat Spears' novels) but, this was worth reading--as are all of her books. 

I think readers will be pleased with the characters--how real they are, and the turn of events. A worthwhile contemporary read. 

9 comments:

  1. Sorry you weren't able to connect to the characters, that really does make it hard to love a read no matter how well written it is. Lovely honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in this one. I have Breakaway from her and I need to get Sway apparently!! Glad you enjoyed it even if you didn't love. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've seen some good reviews of this one but they have also mentioned difficulty in connecting with the characters, which is a big turn-off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like flawed characters! That alone makes me want to read it. Hm... I think I may have to check out this author's work. I haven't read her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vaguely remember ever reading one of Kat Spears' book so I feel like I should be reacquainted. I can sometimes forgive characters in need of understanding so I'm not going to fully write off this book just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the lack of character connection, but it still sounds like this one is worth a read. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure about this one. I do love my realistic contemporary, but if I can't connect with the characters, it's a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this one before but it does sound interesting. But the lack of connection... meh. You mentioned that Luke is not a really emotional guy and my first thought was, "Well then how can I be expected to connect to him?" Because I connect thru shared emotional responses and if he's not particularly emotional... yeah, I don't know about that. Still, I'm happy to see that overall it was a satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read a book by Spears though Sway kind of rings a bell. Will try to start with that one if I ever get the chance, this one sounds okay but not that exciting... I love to connect with the MC at the very least and Luke seems not that relatable.

    ReplyDelete