Thursday, August 18, 2016

Sisters of Blood and Spirit (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit, #1) by Kady Cross

22929092
BLURB
Wren Noble is dead—she was born that way. Vibrant, unlike other dead things, she craves those rare moments when her twin sister allows her to step inside her body and experience the world of the living. 


Lark Noble is alive but often feels she belongs in the muted Shadow Lands—the realm of the dead. Known as the crazy girl who talks to her dead sister, she doesn’t exactly fit in with the living, though a recent suicide attempt and time in a psych ward have proved to her she’s not ready to join her sister in the afterlife. 


Now the guy who saved Lark’s life needs her to repay the favor. He and his friends have been marked for death by the malevolent spirit of a vicious and long-dead serial killer, and the twins—who should know better than to mess with the dead—may be their only hope of staying alive.

REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
Okay so, here we go, I'm going to attempt to write a review...

Sisters of Blood and Spirit. I can't really recall what originally attracted me to this one. I think it was something about the cover, regardless of that small detail--I picked it up.

Now knowing the story features a ghost, might have deterred me--there's something about ghost stories that I don't typically gravitate towards. I don't have any real reason, it's just a strange fact. 


Anyway back to the story, Lark's twin sister, Wren, is dead born. She never made it to this side of the plane. But, she manages to still be able to cling to the living, spending most of her time here on earth in spectral form.

Lark on the other hand wanted to die at one point, feeling an odd sense of belonging to the dead--I think it has a lot to do with never feeling like she belongs. Plus, in the "afterlife," she'd have her sister.

So, one day she tries to kill herself, and fails--thwarted by Mace--who finds her with the help of her sister, and medium Kevin. But now Mace--and his friends need Lark's help. They're being stalked by a dead serial-killer--who's decided even in death he'll kill.

It's like an episode of Scooby Doo. 

The story itself was pretty fun. The ghost catching, and the romance--but it would have been better suited for a younger YA reader. I definitely think this is story I would have enjoyed more, as a newer YA reader. When I was just testing the waters. Now as a seasoned YA reader, I would probably pass on these kinds of books.

Why: Romance:  Sweet but better suited for younger readers.
The story: Fun but predictable. I mean we all thought Scooby Doo was fun but, we knew what would happen at the end.
The ghosts: Not all that scary, but amusing.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't a bad story just pretty middle of the road.

The characters themselves were pretty cookie cutter--aside from the twins. They were pretty bad a** in their own right. They had a good sense of humor, and I liked their closeness. 

All in all it was a decent book, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. But if you like ghosts, and might be interested in reading another series. I'd give this one a try. Just keep in mind, it's probably not gonna blow you away, but you'll probably have a good time with it.




17 comments:

  1. I really like the cover on this!! I am not super into ghost stories either. Sorry this one wasn't better but glad you enjoyed it somewhat. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I'm sorry this wasn't as good! I'm surprised because based on the cover, and I guess also the blurb, this would seem like a book targeted to older audiences? I mean it definitely seems more darker than it is. Awesome review Jazmen! I like ghosts, but I'm not sure I would like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like ghost stories so I was hoping this would be a bit better of a read, more stand out. I'm kind of sad that you described it as middle of the road. Bummer! Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I love that you said it's like an episode of scooby do. Great review, sorry you didn't like it a bit more though. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds generally forgettable, but not like a terrible read. Sorry it wasn't better for you!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really a reader of ghost books, but this one was one that I enjoyed, mainly for its humour. Like you said, it didn't really blow me away, but it definitely was fun read!
    Great review :)
    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this book's cover though the premise never captured my attention. Ghosts also aren't my kind of thing, but at least it got you blogging again, so yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I completely agree. This was a decent story, but I just wanted a bit more from it. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, at first I was gangbusters for this - because that synopsis. Just - yes. It comes across sounding dark and twisted and full of creepy intent. But apparently that's pretty misleading. Because instead there are cookie cutter characters and ghosts that are more amusing than scary. Lame. Definitely sounds like watered down YA - or maybe younger YA. So much for a dark and twisted. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the honest review Jazmen! Does sound a bit like it's for younger readers, so I'm glad you gave us the heads up on that! Even though I'm one of those adults who reads YA, sometimes I find myself picking up books that are just a little TOO YA for my taste (like borderline MG and YA).
    I will say though, I'm OBSESSED with ghost stories so I'm kind of bummed to hear this one wasn't too good! One of my favorite ghost stories is Ghost House by Alexandra Adornetto and the sequel comes out this year or 2017! I'm so excited!
    Great review!
    Emily @ www.rabbitholereviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry this wasn't a good rad for you. :( That's actually really sad! It just seems that all the books you have been reading lately haven't been measuring up. :( I hope you get out of your rut soon and can get back int loving books and blogging again! I miss your posts, girlie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been eyeing this book and possibly it's the cover that's attracting me too but reading your review, it's probably not for me. Gotta keep that in mind (because attractive covers basically just attract me to buy them regardless of the story. ugh.).

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Just the fact that it's like an episode of Scooby Doo puts me off. I think this is one that I took off my Goodreads shelf. If not, I need to right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about the whole YA thing. There are books I know I would've appreciated more years ago. Still sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete