Wednesday, July 27, 2016

P.S. I Like You by Kasie West Book Review

25486998
BLURB

What if the person you were falling for was a total mystery?


While Lily is spacing out in Chemistry one day, she picks up her pencil and scribbles a line from one of her favorite songs on the desk. The next day, someone else has written back to her on the desk! Soon enough Lily and the mystery student are exchanging notes, and lyrics, and even sharing secrets. When Lily finds out that her anonymous pen pal is a guy, she's flustered -- and kind of feels like she's falling for him. She and her best friend set out to unravel the identity of the letter writer -- but when the truth is revealed, the guy is the LAST person Lily could have ever imagined it to be. Now that Lily knows the truth, can she untangle her feelings and gather the courage to listen to her heart?


REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
This review can also be found on YOUNG ADULT BOOK CENTRAL
PS I Like You--thank you for saving me, saving my blog--because I was beginning to fear I'd never be back. 

This book was cute with a capital cute--and that's saying something, because I did not like On The Fence. I thought I would read, On The Fence, and be done with Ms. West. Because I was not impressed. I didn't hate the book but I thought she might be one of those authors that wouldn't live up to the hype.

She surely shut my mouth with this one. I really enjoyed this, let's get into why:

WHAT I LIKED: The characters, they weren't very, like, out there or anything but they felt very real,and very true to real life. Everything about them seemed like something, or someone I can actually see, and feel. They felt real. So, A plus. 

The letters: I was a total sucker for the letters, the secrecy--the whole secret admirer vibe. It made me swoon, and I was just as excited to see who the other person was, as Lily was.

Isabel: She was never catty, or overly pushy. She wasn't the standard best friend that seem to jump into the pages of some of these novels. She was supportive, even when she might not have wanted to be. She was a true friend, and I can get with that.

Her family: Aww man, they were so dysfunctional--but they were stars of the show. Her brothers--were so, brotherly. Her Mom and Dad were funny. I kind of wish there was more of them in the story.

Discovering who the letters were from: This was the cutest part of the book, the reveal. I don't want to get into it because it feels spoiler-y but it was the cutest of cuteness. I really liked how it all concluded.

I don't have any dislikes or qualms, I was happy--and it finally got me to write a review so win-win.

A nice addition to any YA contemporary lovers shelf.


25 comments:

  1. I did not like the premise of her The Fill-In Boyfriend - I thought it was a little too kitchsy so I didn't read it. I'm hoping this one would be the one that will get me back in her good graces, though. And it certainly looks like it's got potential. Looking forward to picking this up today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I thought I might really like that one. Well, I found this one to be really cute--I hope you like it too!

      Delete
  2. aahhh, I've never read anything by Kasie West although I've read good things about her books. I just get this feeling that her works might not exactly be for me. But I like the sound of this book (exchanging letters?? notes?? ohmygosh!!) and it's a super great point that you enjoyed that part as well. I'll definitely consider reading this book. Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to bash you over the head with this author, but this one was pretty darn good!

      Delete
  3. Yay!! I love this one too! Lily and her letter writer were adorable. Especially during the reveal and the confession part!! *happy sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I almost melted into a puddle of cuteness overload! Loved it! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one! So cute. The letters and her family were my favorite parts!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I read a book by Kasie West last year and didn't particularly enjoy it, this one definitely sounds like a great one! I'm going to have to check it out soon and give West another try. Thanks for the review!
    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked this one and found a book you liked after so long. I thought this was really cute too though it's not my favorite by Kasie West. Still though, I enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got out of your blogging slump (it seems like?). I have read NOTHING by Kasie West yet! I hope to change that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're back!! Don't disappear on us like that girlie. I won't let you quit! :) These books always manage to put a big smile on my face. :) There's slsmrhjng about them that are just so cute. I don't know of it's the cover or.. the titles but either way I JUST WANT TO SQUISH THEM. ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're back!! Don't disappear on us like that girlie. I won't let you quit! :) These books always manage to put a big smile on my face. :) There's slsmrhjng about them that are just so cute. I don't know of it's the cover or.. the titles but either way I JUST WANT TO SQUISH THEM. ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, YA contemporary always pulls me out of slumps. I'm back to reading my urban and high fantasies now though. I'm not sure when I'll read this one yet, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaah I need this book in my life! I love Kasie West's Pivot Point and The Distance Between Us, so I know about the hype. She just knows how to write the sweetest of characters. ♥ Glad you liked this book Jazmen and that it brought you out of that terrible slump!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one is so right up my alley. I love a good YA contemporary that doesn't overdose on the kitsch and ends up too-cute-for-words. And the premise of this just makes me want to start reading it like yesterday. Glad it was a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic review! I keep seeing positive reviews for this one. It does sound very good and I do like books with characters that feel very real. I'm glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been iffy on Kasie West books because I LOVE Contemporary, but not really romantic Contemporary. But I've heard a lot of good about this one, so it's on my list. And I love that the family has a main role. That always makes me happy when family's EXIST in YA :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you liked this one so much! I read On the Fence, too, but I have absolutely no collection of doing so (which probably says a lot about what I thought of it - oops). I haven't read any other works by Kasie West but this sounds like such a cute summer read! I may have to give it a chance :)

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you liked it! Sadly, I thought it was too cliche for me :/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't read much contemp YA, but this one sounds like something I would enjoy. Especially since you didn't think the author's writing would live up to the hype. Now I'm VERY curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! So glad you loved this one -- I've been on the fence about reading it because I haven't loved her older books but this does sound super cute! May have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Kasie West so much, I need to read this one still. I usually devour her books in a few hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww this sounds really cute. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Post Jazmen :) I have heard that Kasie West is a great contemporary author and I would like to read her someday! I have nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award and you can check out my post here: https://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/sisterhood-of-world-blogger-award-3.html Congrats and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete