Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Never Missing, Never Found by Amanda Panitch Quickish Book Review


26117389
BLURB
A juicy thriller about a girl who returned from the missing. . . . Hand to fans of We Were Liars, Bone Gap, and Vanishing Girls.

Some choices change everything. Scarlett chose to run. And the consequences will be deadly.

Stolen from her family as a young girl, Scarlett was lucky enough to eventually escape her captor. Now a teen, she's starting a summer job at an amusement park. There are cute boys, new friends, and the chance to finally have a normal life.

Her first day on the job, Scarlett is shocked to discover that a girl from the park has gone missing. Old memories come rushing back. And now as she meets her new coworkers, one of the girls seems strangely familiar. When Scarlett chose to run all those years ago, what did she set into motion? And when push comes to shove, how far will she go to uncover the truth . . . before it's too late?


REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
I'm sorry. I don't care what anyone says, Amanda Panitch, writes YA mystery the way it's supposed to be done.

Never Missing Never Found tells the story of Scarlett, a girl who's attempting to go back to her normal life after spending a large chunk of her childhood with a kidnapper. From the ages of about 8-15 Scarlett, lives with her captor--thinking her family doesn't want her, and never knowing the truth.

One day she gets away, and things are back to fairly normal. She gets a job at an amusement park, a boy actually likes her--her brother still adores her. It's okay, well aside from the fact that her sister hates her, and she's still feeling the residuals of being kidnapped--oh and now another girl is missing.

Things get pretty crazy for Scarlett, what, with another girl being missing. But what I really liked is how she was able to deal with everything. It's pretty much a realistic tale of a girl being returned after being stolen--but with the most crazy twist at the end.

It's always so hard to write reviews for mysteries, because you want to tell everything, but you can't tell everything. I will say this, though, sure the story seems a little dull initially--but by the end you'll be satisfied, especially if like me, you didn't see it coming. 

Panitch, has a way with twisting a story, and make her characters unreliable--which I tend to like in my mysteries. I just like the way she does this mystery thing. Her characters are suspicious, and the endings are always delicious.

I'm sure a lot of you won't be impressed because well it tends to go that way. But if you liked Damage Done, you'll love Never Missing, Never Found. I sure did.


21 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read a book by her, but it looks like that needs to change. This sounds terrific especially with the unreliable characters.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I hope you find that you enjoy this one!

      Delete
  2. I just bought this recently from the Strand, and I just don't know when the right time to pick it up is! After reading With Malice by Eileen Cook, I've been determined to read more YA mystery because when it's written well, it ends up being really gritty and interesting! Lovely review, and I'm so excited to start this. I will probably read it during Booktubeathon :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any of her books, but this sounds right up my alley! Also, YESSSS it is so hard to write reviews for mystery/thrillers because you have to be so careful what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read Damage Done but I like the sound of this one. Good YA mysteries are hard to come by but I will have to check this one out. Love the cover too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. I hope you read and like this.

      Delete
  5. I don't usual read YA mystery, but this sounds pretty good ! I might give it a try ^^
    Lovely review :)

    "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I have a hard time finding great YA mysteries so I am definitely going to check this one out and this author, in general, since she's new me! Thanks for the rec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn. Why didn't I picked this up last weekend? It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sound of this one! So many YA mysteries seem bland and predictable and you can see every "plot twist" coming 50 pages away. I love that Panitch was able to deliver a genuine mystery that actually keeps you guessing and offers some surprises. I think I'll be picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - I've never heard of this author before, and I do LOVE a good mystery! Definitely will be picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YA mystery done right, you say? Now I HAVE to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen this one around and I've been so curious about it! The blurb sounded so impressive and I'm thrilled it holds up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read quite a few bad YA mysteries so I am looking forward to trying this one because it sounds like a book that really does get it right. In comparison to the ones I have been trying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love me some unreliable narrators in YA. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely feeling the need for a quick mystery read and this seems like a great pick! I love good brother/sister dynamics as well, so I definitely hope to get to this soon. Wonderful review!
    - Quest Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO GOOD, RIGHT?!? Amanda Panitch is definitely one of the best YA thriller / mystery authors out there. I was so impressed with this one too, and I am so glad you enjoyed it as well. The reveal was so unexpected. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete