Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Twisted by Hannah Jayne ARC Book Review

28218622
BLURB

When her father is accused of being a serial killer, Bex becomes the ultimate bait in this game of cat and mouse


Bex is ready to start a new life in foster care. There, she won't be known as a serial killer's daughter. Though her father was never tried for the murders attributed to "The Wife Collector," he disappeared after questioning. And Bex struggles with the guilt that she provided the circumstantial evidence that convicted him in the public's perception—and drove him to abandon her.



But when a body turns up in her new hometown, all signs point to the Wife Collector. Bex's old life isn't ready to let her go. The police want to use Bex to lure in her father. But is she baiting a serial killer or endangering an innocent man?
REVIEW
THREE ISH OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*


And another one bites the dust...

I'm really starting to wonder if YA Mystery should even be a thing. They only succeed in failing me, bringing my hopes up and smashing them down.

I am a huge Mystery fan. I know you all can't tell because I don't review them much but, mystery, and horror was one of the first true genres I've read. It was what brought me into my love of reading--that is besides the Berenstein Bears, and any other kiddie books I enjoyed. 

But Mystery, mystery is what did it. It made me a bonafide reader. So, I said all that to say this read was pretty disappointing. 

I'm sorry. I tried. 

Let me tell you what I liked first:

The foster parents: They were the dorkiest, coolest, cutest things ever. To decide to take on a teenager can't be an easy feat. You are getting a child when they're at their toughest. I appreciated their dedication and their commitment to parenting, Bex.

The mystery: I was pretty intrigued in the beginning of this story. It was interesting to see where the story was going. Was the father dead, was he alive? Was he killing again? What's his game? AND then it went flat, like a soda left open.

What I didn't like, or had problems with: Bex

Bex, was irritating to me and let me tell you why: Her character was all over the place. She seemed irrational. Obviously having a serial killer for a father can not be easy. I mean, really. But she was constantly flinching, and flashing back and I just couldn't grasp any of it. 

There was a lot flash backs and to be honest I didn't think the transition was smooth any of the times. It made for a hard read. It's not hard to follow, it's just kind of abrupt, like okay, we're going back in time again? Alright. I couldn't connect with her character at all.

The romance: Ill fitting, and not convincing. It was almost unnecessary.

The friends: Superficial, and one dimensional. I'm sorry, they lacked any solid depth.

The mystery: The way it unraveled was going well until the later half. It was like, someone made me a turkey sandwich with all the trimmings and forgot the turkey. It didn't have any meat.

I was very disappointed. The ending was meh, and I am just disappointed big time.

I would probably borrow this one, but if you're dedicated to the serial killer trope. Try it, this one may work for you. 

*Expect this one July 5th.*

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I know. It's tough to find a YA mystery novel. I mean, ever since Veronica Mars days, it's just been difficult to find one as convincing, yanno?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just not doing so great, sorry not sorry.

      Delete
    2. Completely agree. Most YA mysteries and thrillers are more Scooby Doo than thrilling. Very disappointing.
      Jen @ YA Romantics

      Delete
  2. I was really hoping this one would be better as well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teehee! You made me smile so much while reading this! (I wasn't smiling because you didn't enjoy reading it but it was funny to see all of the analogies you made to explain how much you didn't really care for this book) To be honest, the cover tells me that the book may or may be good, but then when we get to the inside WITH ALL THOSE FLASHBACKS THOUGH, it's like... NAH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I've seen similar reviews of this one and I'm sorry it didn't live up to its potential! I hate it when a mystery is bad -- definitely skipping this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you just use the character's name as a pun there? I'm glad I caught that hahaha. And yeah I rarely read YA mystery unless it's been recommended to me, but wow I can't believe her father was a serial killer. I'm not a huge fan of tons of flashbacks (or mysteries in general really), so I'll probably be passing on this one. Thanks for the awesome review Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the HARDEST time finding 5 Star YA Mysteries... I've been on the search for a looooong time and they are few and far between. I'm not sure why because there seem to be a lot of Adult Mysteries that totally work, so why not YA?? Anyhow I'm interested in this book because SERIAL KILLER!! But bummer that it didn't work out for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bank Tracker Bot Review

    There are two common questions in online marketing: how to get traffic and how to make money online? In a nutshell, internet marketing is very simple, but many people are making it very hard. The simplicity of the internet marketing field all comes down to only two key elements: traffic and offer. Understanding these two main ingredients in building and running your online business, your most important tasks should be based on having a high value offer (product) that's designed to satisfy your niche market's needs on one side, and on working less and making more money online when it comes to driving targeted traffic to your offer on the other side.

    http://wholetoneshealingmusicreview.com/bank-tracker-bot-review/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh this is the hardest genre I swear. There have only been a few that I have loved. It is good to see positive YA parents though :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think with YA mystery, the authors try not to make it too hard for the reader, which is a shame because most readers of YA are over 18.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meh. Sounds like this one fell flat. I mean, the synopsis sounds like nonstop excitement and thrills. But with a problematic MC and an ending without much of a pay-off... I'll pass.

    Tanya @ GIRL PLUS BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. YA mysteries don't always work out for me. They're just not as strong as adult mystery-thrillers.

    ReplyDelete