Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2) by James Dashner Book Review

17700320
BLURB

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maze Runner series comes The Rule of Thoughts, the exciting sequel to The Eye of Minds. Fans of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games will love the new Mortality Doctrine series. 


Michael completed the Path. What he found at the end turned everything he’d ever known about his life—and the world—completely upside down.



He barely survived. But it was the only way VirtNet Security knew to find the cyber-terrorist Kaine—and to make the Sleep safe for gamers once again. And, the truth Michael discovered about Kaine is more complex than they anticipated, and more terrifying than even the worst of their fears.



Kaine is a tangent, a computer program that has become sentient. And Michael’s completing the Path was the first stage in turning Kaine’s master plan, the Mortality Doctrine, into a reality.



The Mortality Doctrine will populate Earth entirely with human bodies harboring tangent minds. Any gamer who sinks into the VirtNet risks coming out with a tangent intelligence in control of their body. 


And the takeover has already begun.


REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
THIS REVIEW CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON YA BOOKS CENTRAL:
THE RULE OF THOUGHTS BOOK REVIEW YABC
In the likeness of The Maze Runner, The Mortality Doctrine Series, is just as exciting--and perfect for gamers and teens alike.

Each scene and chapter felt like a ride, and it was pretty thrilling to see how the characters would react and deal with all the crazy that was happening around them. 

This book takes off like a rocket, right where the last one finished off. If you're new to this, I wouldn't start with this book because you will feel a little loss. 

But for those of you that have read this, Michael is still coming to terms with his new reality and his newfound "fight" with Kaine, the ultimate tangent. 

Michael, and his two best friends, Sarah and Bryson--are determined to stop Kaine, and his evil schemes. 

What's really good about this book, is that it's pretty much non-stop action. There's never a dull moment. There's always something going on--so boredom won't be an issue. 

There isn't much romance, so if like me you crave it, you won't be getting it here--but the good thing is you won't find yourself missing it.

I liked the twists and turns and found myself on the literal edge of my seat at times.

My only suggestion is that this book be shared with a younger audience. I find that from the ages of the characters, to the pacing--to the overall feel of the story, I think it would better appeal to teens under the age of 18. I believe there will be a better understanding, and quite frankly I think they'd enjoy it more. 

However if you're a Dashner fan like myself, you won't be disappointed. There's a lot uncovered in this book, but there's still a lot more to go--without feeling like you're left on a cliffhanger--I know how much some of you hate that. 

If you loved Maze Runner, you won't be disappointed, but strap in because it is a ride.

11 comments:

  1. I've actually never read a Dashner book. Maybe a couple of years ago this might have worked for me, but I'm over the genre now. I'm glad this was an exciting read for you, however even though there was no romance and read young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love The Maze Runner series, I just haven't felt the need to read this one. My library has all the books, so I may just borrow the first one and see how it goes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Maze runner, but I've been very curious. Hm... I'm wondering if my cousin's kids would like this one. I think they are a bit young, but have been reading above their age anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God. This is the kind of series that gives me a headache. I mean James Dashner is an excellent writer, I just don't read the kind of books he write. I know, I know. I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the first book, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the Maze Runner. It was still good, just not as good. But I'm still going to give this book a read, once I get around to it!
    Great review :)
    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!! This doesn't sound like my type of genre but I have heard good things about The Maze Runner -- glad that it had good twists at least!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review :D It sounds like this one is really for people who enjoyed the Maze Runner as well. I have loved those books, so I'm looking forward to trying his second series at some point soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never read Maze Runner or anything by him. I would probably want more romance and UGH to a cliffhanger. I am glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I like non stop action books, but I'll probably pass on this series. I was disappointed in The Maze Runner series ending and it kinda turned me off his books. :x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds exciting! And I really don't mind a lack of romance, especially when it comes to books like this. It's just not needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh James Dashner ! I read The Maze Runner series, the first book was absolutely amazing, the other two, however, dissapointed me :( But, this sounds exciting, too bad there's not much romance in it 😊

    "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete