Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Assassin's Game by Kirsty McKay ARC Book Review

26158403
BLURB
At Cate's  isolated boarding school, Killer Game is a tradition. Only a select few are invited to play. They must avoid being killed by a series of thrilling pranks, and identify the murderer. But this time, it's different: the game stops feeling fake and starts getting dangerous and Cate's the next target. Can they find the culprit ... before it's too late?

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS

I'm eating my words...

This was a decent, dare I say good, YA mystery. I quite liked it. I know, I know--the shock!

SUMMIN' IT UP
It's all a game. The group of them are in a game, and someone's a killer. Well, that's how it works. A bunch of students are initiated into the game, and they're faked killed. That is until someone can guess who the killer is. Sounds simple right? Maybe even a little lame, but fret not. It's a ride.

Like I was saying, people are killed publicly, and none of it's real. That is, until someone, makes it real.  That's where it gets good.

THE CAST
Cate: She's a normal. Well, she's not a genius like the rest of her classmates. She was desperate to get into the game and now that she is, she's not so sure it's going to be, all fun.

Alex, Marcia, Daniel, Tessa, Erica, Rick, Martin--forgive me if I'm screwing up these names, cause my memory is poop sometimes. Well there's a large group, members--players of the game. Their stories themselves seem unimportant in relation to the story but yeah any one of them could be the killer.

Alex is the head honcho in charge, he runs the game and makes the rules, along with a few of the others.

Then there's Vaughn. He's the childhood friend that Cate sort of forgot about. So, when he shows up demanding to be apart of the game--she's thrown for a loop. And he has all kinds of stuff with him.


THE MYSTERY
I, for one, thought the mystery in this one was well done. I did not know who the "killer" was. I had my ideas but I was wrong--and that pleased me. I want to not know.

I was flipping through page after page trying to figure it all out. Even when I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong, so *clap clap*, McKay--well played. I was so very intrigued.

IS IT LOVE?
Romance is not the star of this show, and while this would normally bother me--it did not. There is a smidge of romance, it was cute--but it faded into the background. It was all fine with me.

THE PLOT AND THE STORY
I really liked the set up of this story. I find no need to pick at the name of the town or the way the story was set up like a lot of my fellow readers. If anything I felt the setting was perfectly fitting to the story.

The story itself like I said was very intriguing. I was completely enthralled. I found it hard to put down--what with all the, mystery.

YOU MAD OR NAH?
THE REVEAL

Just thinking about the reveal even now, I laugh. I laugh because I feel like I should've known. It should've been obvious to me. But then again, I try to avoid the obvious because authors will trick you that way. Anyway I didn't figure it out, so well played Ms. McKay, well played.

 The reasoning behind the "why" was kind of lame, I must say. I mean, you mad or nah? I have a feeling some readers won't be impressed with that part of it. But all in all I thought it was fun.

CONCLUSION
The book was perfectly readable. I was entertained. I was invested and I had fun with it. That's saying a lot. I'd recommend this one!




22 comments:

  1. Good YA mystery books are so rare! I like the sound of this one a lot! Even though the romance isn't really that big part of the book, I like that you weren't able to guess the mystery!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I enjoyed this one. I'm sure other people may not but that's okay.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good! It sounds like I need to read this one. I haven't read a good YA Mystery in a long time. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might give this one a try. I actually find it a little refreshing when books don't heavily feature romance, so this is appealing to me! And I haven't read a good mystery in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed a lot of people like the lack of romance, am I the only love whore around here? Lol.

      Delete
  4. Great review! This one sounds quite interesting and I'm so glad that you liked it -- I love boarding school settings and a good mystery so I am definitely going to pick this up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this does sound really good, I don't really read mysteries THAT often, but I this one is pulling me in. Also, I love that this takes place in boarding school!

    Awesome review Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks so good. It sounds like some tradition the seniors in my school play. It's called Assassins and they basically try to kill each other... well not literally, of course. I can't wait for this book and am sad I didn't get approved for the ARC. But that's why I have you- to review all of these awesome books :D Great review and you've sold me!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://autobinarysignalssoftwarereviews.com/disrupt-trading-review/
    When you start investing, it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. The simple, effective and profitable nature of binary options trading helps to make the learning process a lot less stressful and enables users to go online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to increase their skills and reap the financial rewards. Regardless of one's investment experience, those starting out in the binary trading world need to follow four simple tips to maximize their returns.
    http://centumentltdreview.com/disrupt-trading-review/

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!! Glad this YA mystery actually worked. I like the sound of the set up of it. I might have to check it out. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got approved from the publisher to read this book. I was excited, but now after reading your review, I'm even more excited! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cover girl YAS! When you were telling me about this on voxer, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what book you were talking about. The title sounded familiar, but now that I'm seeing the cover, I definitely haven't seen or heard of this before. I just love how you always come across the best lowkey titles. Let me check this out further on GR so I can make a decision. After the terrible mystery I just read, I need something " thrilling " and also fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I'm eating my words. LOL! I don't like the cover though, but I can see myself reading it at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I will definitely have to give this one a go. I was kinda eh about it, but now I'll have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A YA mystery that delivered? Who woulda thunk it? I'm no fan of the freaky cover but I like the sound of the game turned deadly.

    Tanya @ GIRL PLUS BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, sounds like a great ya mystery (especially given that you recently didn't enjoyed a book of the same genre). I'm adding this to my tbr! I like it whenever the reveal makes me want to hit myself in the head when I should have guessed it! haha. Great review, Jazmen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad that this one managed to impress you a lot more than you expected it to. I really love the sound of the mystery being intriguing enough and this one being so readable. And the cover is cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read a good YA mystery in a while! I'll definitely be checking it out soon! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, this sounds right up my alley! I saw this book the other day, but was skeptical as the whether it would deliver a good story or not, and your review has convinced me to check it out!

    ReplyDelete