Monday, June 13, 2016

Cream of The Crop by Alice Clayton ARC Book Review

25056216
BLURB
New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Alice Clayton brings her trademark blend of funny and sexy to this second contemporary romance in the brand-new Hudson Valley series!

Manhattan’s It Girl, Natalie Grayson, has it all: she’s a hot exec at a leading advertising firm, known industry-wide for her challenging and edgy campaigns. She’s got a large circle of friends, a family that loves her dearly, and her dance card is always full with handsome eligible bachelors. What else could a modern gal-about-town wish for? The answer, of course, is...cheese.

Natalie’s favorite part of each week is spending Saturday morning at the Union Square Farmer’s Market, where she indulges her love of all things triple cream. Her favorite booth also indulges her love of all things handsome. Oscar Mendoza, owner of the Bailey Falls Creamery and purveyor of the finest artisanal cheeses the Hudson Valley has to offer, is tall, dark, mysterious, and a bit oblivious. Or so she thinks. But that doesn’t stop Natalie from fantasizing about the size of his, ahem, milk can.

Romance is churning, passion is burning, and something incredible is rising to the top. Could it be...love?
 

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS

This is What It Is
I, for one love Alice. Nobody has been able to make romance this fun, in a long time. As far as this book goes, it will make you hot a hungry. Here's what it's about: 

Natalie, is a city girl--a voluptuous city girl (YES, to the curves, she's a size 18 and killing it.), she's an ad exec at the top of her game. She spends her days, fashionably dressed, and doing the dang thing. But her love, her true love--is cheese, oh and maybe the guy that makes it. Oscar has the best cheese in town, well not technically in town because he lives upstate. But, he comes down every saturday to sell cheese in the city--and he renders Natalie speechless, every, single, time. He hands her the cheese, and takes her breath on the walk away.

Then she's offered the ad campaign of a lifetime, right in the same town as her bestie, and man crush. Then the fun ensues. 

She's A Brick House
I am so team Natalie, it's not even funny. I appreciated Natalie's confidence and style. She dresses like her weight is not an issue, and it very well shouldn't be. Alice did a great job of proving to the world, that yes, plus-sized women can kill it too--and not feel weird about it. Her story is a real one, and it's to be appreciated.

Oscar The Grouch and The Romance
Natalie and Oscar together are like the beginnings of a forest fire--hot but not yet lethal. They had a sexual chemistry that was off the charts. I mean if we are to take Oscar at his outward appearance I can totally see why. He's Paul Bunyun big. he has great hair, a great face and a quiet but loud presence.

But, it's the quietness that got to me. You don't get to really know Oscar, sure he's a man of few words. But he was a man of too few words. Sure, you get a little bit of his back story but I feel like you never really got to know him. I felt like I just got the surface of who Oscar really was--and I wasn't too happy about it.

Due to the fact that I didn't get much out of Oscar, it made the romance part of this book feel underdeveloped. Which was disappointing to say the least.

THE HUMOR AND THE FRIENDSHIPS
These aspects of this novel was a strong as ever, not Wallbanger strong but good--the right amount. One of the more enjoyable parts of this book.

THE VERDICT
I had a good time with this one but I wasn't all that pleased. Because the chemistry at least for me was lacking. Sure, they had lots of sex--but where was the spark, the feelings, the emotions? It was definitely lacking in this area at least for me. It is typical Clayton goodness, but just a little less spark-y. I like my spark.

I would recommend this despite all of that because it's fun, it's has it's funny moments, the sexual chemistry is off the charts, and it's Alice Clayton,'nuff said.

23 comments:

  1. Bummer on the chemistry lacking but glad it was still an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah at least it had a little something going for it!

      Delete
  2. I think I'll like this one more since I enjoyed the first one, and the little glimpses into Oscar's and Nat's characters gave us teasers. Oscar was a man of few words in Nuts, but I was hoping to get to know him more here. Oh well, I'm still gonna read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I need chemistry but at least Natalie was an awesome MC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw stinks the romance/chemistry wasn't great. I do love her humor though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YASSS! I'm all for that cover! (Is that milk he's pouring in that glass, btw??) It doesn't even matter because we all know the WHOLEEEE point of this was to showcase the GUY on the over and not the.. milk. teehee! It's a total bummer that this book didn't focus on that good ROMANCE we need. UGH. THAT had to be a huge letdown for you Jaz! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream or milk? Not sure.

      The lack of romance/chemistry was a huge let down.

      Delete
  6. Oh you have me wanting to read these and I've been on the fence with them. I do think I will add them to my wishlist and see if my library has this series! Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like you often have problem with the lack of chemistry in your books - especially NA. This author sounds familiar, but I don't believe I've ever read something by her. I don't think I'll start with this one, if I ever do! Great review, Jazzy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do. I definitely feel like if a book has romance, it has to have spark and chemistry. It just must have it!

      Delete
  8. Oh, boo. It sounds so good, though! And I love me the strong, silent types. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them when they have more of a presence.

      Delete
  9. I LIKE CHEESE. So basically that's why I would pick this book up. Oh, and also bc the MC sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think size diversity in books is fantastic! And this romance sounds so light hearted and fun. Too bad it didn't hit every mark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These titles always have me laughing, as well as the covers. Lekeisha showed me how wonderful book one was so I want to read it at some point myself as well. I'm looking forward to it a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say I love that sizzling chemistry in romances so that would put me slightly off. Still, I think I'd read this because as you said, it's Alice Clayton :D
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Alice, too, but I had some issues with this one. I totally agree with you about the chemistry. All she did was lust after him while he loved her ass and let his ex disrespect her. Ugh. She told us how he teased her and talked and had fun, but we didn't get to experience it. I don't know, it bummed me out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've stayed away from this author. I read a couple chapters of her book Wallbanger and it wasn't really keeping my interest so since then, I haven't picked up anything by her. It's a bummer the romance in this one was lacking but I love the sound of this MC!

    ReplyDelete