Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Bird and The Sword by Amy Harmon Book Review

29008738
BLURB
Swallow, Daughter, pull them in, those words that sit upon your lips. Lock them deep inside your soul, hide them ‘til they’ve time to grow. Close your mouth upon the power, curse not, cure not, ‘til the hour. You won’t speak and you won’t tell, you won’t call on heav’n or hell. You will learn and you will thrive. Silence, Daughter. Stay alive.

The day my mother was killed, she told my father I wouldn’t speak again, and she told him if I died, he would die too. Then she predicted the king would trade his soul and lose his son to the sky.

My father has a claim to the throne, and he is waiting in the shadows for all of my mother’s words to come to pass. He wants desperately to be king, and I just want to be free.

But freedom will require escape, and I’m a prisoner of my mother’s curse and my father’s greed. I can’t speak or make a sound, and I can’t wield a sword or beguile a king. In a land purged of enchantment, love might be the only magic left, and who could ever love . . . a bird?


REVIEW
Once again, Amy, has outdone herself. Can this woman write anything bad?

I was completely captivated by this story. A story that was wholly fantasy but utterly romantic.

THE STORY

A mother dies at the hand a cruel and unruly king. But before she dies she utters words to her daughter that silences her, literally. A young prince on a stead watches helplessly--a curse placed on him by the dying mother. All of their lives are now intertwined--including the father of the daughter who stood by idly--is now, too, a part of this curse. If his daughter dies so does he.

I was taken in by this story from page one, and I know no matter what I say--or how I say it, it won't do the book any justice but I will try. I will try hard.

THE CHARACTERS
Bird, Lark: She is a mute--a mute by curse of her mother. In order to protect her, her mother silences her--containing her words and her power.

But despite being a mute, she is no one's weakling. She may not be able to speak for herself but she's strong--even though she's often described as small, pale, and wispy.

I appreciated that her strength radiated from within--and also that she didn't fit in an expected mold of beauty.

She was a pale wisp of a thing but she was revered regardless.

It's gonna be hard for me to talk about Tiras. I loved Tiras--but his character was hard to love. He was often cold, but there was a part of him that was warm. There was a push and pull with how I felt for Tiras for a large part of this book--but by the end I loved him. He was how he was supposed to be and he loved in the way he knew how.

THE ROMANCE
Slow burn. There's a lot of, is this thing gonna happen, when, how? But when it does--it kind of just does. It happens and it's so smoothly written into the story--you almost believe these characters started off the story together. It was very beauty and the beast. There, of course, was a lot of resistance in the beginning, but when they got together--they made the other better, and it made perfect sense.

THE FINAL VERDICT
I LOVED this book. It wasn't fast paced, there wasn't a lot of action--and to be honest the story wasn't all that deep. But it was enchanting,and it took me in from page one. I don't know if it's an Amy Harmon thing but to be honest--she could do no wrong in my eyes.

She just has a way with words, and for her to step out of her typical genre and excel--is true talent.

When I finished, I was smiling. I had a literal smile on my face--so I'd say I was happy.

I can't recommend it enough, especially if you're not really a fantasy fan (odd thing to say I know) because it's so contemporary/fantasy--you'll forget it's strictly a fantasy. And it's so easy to read without feeling like your being info-dumped on. There isn't much world-building but I found it to be okay for this story--it won't leave you feeling overwhelmed.

I mean Amy Harmon wrote this, need I say anymore?

FIVE STARS, OBVIOUSLY.

22 comments:

  1. I love this cover but I'm so ashamed to say I haven't read anything by this author (don't hate me!), however I plan to change that immediately and thanks to your fantastic review I'm going to be starting with The Bird and the Sword. I am so down for a slow-burn romance right now and the lack of info-dumping is always a win for me!!

    Amazing review Jazmen, I can't wait to read this!!

    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cody. I want everyone to love this book!

      Delete
  2. I've only read one book by Amy Harmon but I loved it so looking forward to reading another from her. This one sounds really mysterious but good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this one! I've heard it's so good and this author always does something unique!!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like, I want everyone to love Amy!

      Delete
  4. Your review is just the one I needed to read, Jazmen. Because as many raves as I've heard about Amy Harmon, as excited as I am to read Making Faces (soon!), when I read the synopsis of this one I kinda made a face and instantly thought: not for me. But seeing you say that this is great *even for the non-fantasy readers* - that sold me. I don't know that this will be my *first* by Harmon (I might save it for later) but it's definitely going on my TBR! Great review, my friend!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try it, Tanya! You just have to. I really hope you love this one. And thanks!

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear she pulled this off. I wasn't sure how she would do with fantasy. I have loved so many of her books so I will definitely be reading this. Glad you loved it!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't worried, but that's only because I know Amy is such a gifted writer. But, I know a lot of people were concerned. But, fret not. It's excellent, and thanks!

      Delete
  6. Awww looka like a good story! I never heard of this author before, but you make me want to read her so bad!! Great review, Jazmen xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read Amy Harmon ASAP, and start with Law of Moses, or Making Faces which I hear is pretty phenomenal.

      Delete
  7. Wow I love stories that just captivate you! This sounds very, very intriguing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the quiet stories can be the best ones. Great review for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Amy Harmon, but I'm scared because this one is fantasy. I loved all her contemporaries that I've read, but I'm just not sure about this one because I'm more of a contemporary reader.

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why haven't I read anything by Amy Harmon? Thanks for bringing her on my radar. Adding this on my tbr. Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 0-6 Pack Abs

    As the largest muscle group, at least in the upper body, the chest muscles require specific targeted exercises. Known as pectoralis, or "pecs", the chest muscles are fan shaped and rather thick. Since these muscles are so big, the only real way to effectively build them is by using heavy weight and dedicating a day in the gym to their development.

    http://forextrendyuserreview.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, JAZ. THIS SOUNDS SOOO FREAKING GOOD. Yes, I'm yelling at you. Dying to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought a copy last week and I'm so damn excited to get to it. I'm so happy to see such a praising review from you. I'm up for a Beauty & Beast-esque romance that's also slow burn. That's like everything I ask from a romance!
    I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I looooved this book so much and honestly, I don't think Amy can write a bad book, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read this one. Amy Harmon is just an amazing writer, so I just know this will rock.

    ReplyDelete