Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Teen Frankenstein by Chandler Baker Book Review

BLURB
High school meets classic horror in this groundbreaking new series.

It was a dark and stormy night when Tor Frankenstein accidentally hit someone with her car. And killed him. But all is not lost--Tor, being the scientific genius she is, brings him back to life...

Thus begins a twisty, turn-y take on a familiar tale, set in the town of Hollow Pines, Texas, where high school is truly horrifying.
 
REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

This review can also be found on Young Adult Books Central:

A unique retelling, with humor on almost every page. I laughed out loud quite a bit--but what should have been it's saving grace, just barely saved a fairly slow moving story.

Victoria Frankenstein aka "Tor," is a mad scientist...okay maybe she's not mad--but she is a scientist. Following in her father's scientist footsteps--Tor's been attempting to raise the dead--dead mice that is. It's something she's been working on for quite some time much to her best friend, Owen's chagrin.

Then one day she hits a boy and kills him. But, not to fret she brings him back to life in true Mary Shelley fashion--which of course sets off a series of both fortunate and unfortunate events.

What I liked: The cast of characters, I liked them all. They were funny, and odd--and just the kind of people I would hang out with if I were in high school.

Adam, in particular stole my heart. His rebirth was a thing to see, and how he so quickly became attached to his "creator," or rather "savior," made my heart swoon just a little bit. He was affectionate in the most deadpan way possible--but it was endearing.

Tor. Tor was hilarious, all of her sarcastic quips tickled me pink. As well as Owen, who had a funny sarcastic, nerdy way of being.

What I didn't like:
Although the characters were strong, the story itself was pretty slow moving, and seemed to go  on with no particular ending in sight. I kind of felt like I would never finish, and even if I did I wasn't sure what I was going to wind up with.

There are a lot of almost action moments throughout the story but, the climax comes fairly late and left me feeling a little let down. There was an overwhelming sense of being underwhelmed by the important parts of the story.

All in all the story was quite enjoyable, easy readable but underwhelming--which was disappointing. 

Final Verdict: A readable story with intriguing characters--and a decent plot. Recommended for readers that like their books, with a little less action, and a lot more snark.





17 comments:

  1. Darn too bad this was so slow moving, it sounds like it had a lot of potential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will skip this one. Although it sounds promising I love my book with a little action and I hate slow reads so that's a no for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welllllll, on the one side, the characters were good enough to make you laugh (and if I'm being totally honest here, the characters for me are always the best part) BUT on the other side, the fact that the plot AND the climax were both MEH for you, that's a double let down.... I need a book that keeps me on my toes so sadly, this doesn't seem like one that I would be getting into anytime soon. BUT, this is the first Frankenstein retelling Ive heard of so it gets a point for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really like the characters but it could have been so much more!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I can deal with another "Frankenstein" book right now. I think this is on my to-read list, because it looked appealing once. Now, not so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read two. I hadn't even realized it was so many of them./ Thanks!

      Delete
  5. long-winded plots tend to exhaust me. never been a fan of Frankenstein anyway. Lol. Okay, so it's got some good points. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Joy. It does make it kind of tough to read.

      Delete
  6. I feel like I need to be in a really good mood to read this book so as not to be bothered with the slow plot. The characters sound cool though, especially Tor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you girl. Gotta read what you're in the mood for.

      Delete


  7. Win Chaser Review

    Is Win Chaser Tips a SCAM or does it Really Work? My Win Chaser Tips Horse Racing Review secret information the Truth about Eddie Braithwaite’s Win Chaser Tips.

    http://toshkoraychevprofitsystemreview.com/win-chaser-tips-review/

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...but I like my books with so much action. I don't think I've read a Frankenstein retelling and I kind of like the sound of this and a swoon-y romance? but the climax being.. well... anticlimactic makes me stay away from this. Great review, Jazmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slow moving books are so hard for me. I need it to really get going early on or I tend to want to put it down. I do like snark though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad it was a little slow. Still sounds like it was a pretty good read though! Excellent review!! 😀

    ReplyDelete