Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Book Review

4447622
BLURB

They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn’t exactly glamorous, but I was doing fine until Chicago’s vampires announced their existence to the world. When a rogue vampire attacked me, I was lucky he only got a sip. Another bloodsucker scared him off and decided the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.

Now I’ve traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan “Lord o’ the Manor” Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed,
four-hundred-year-old vampire, he has centuries’ worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude—and servitude. Right…

But someone’s out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches? 

My initiation into Chicago’s nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood. 
REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
Urban Fantasy from what I gathered is fun. The books are not too serious, and they tend to be pretty funny.

Some girls bite was no exception. It was funny, it was fun, and I had a good time with it.

What Really Works
STRONG CHARACTERS:All of the characters have their own stories. They don't need anyone else to give them a story, because they're capable of standing up all on their own. Each character could have their own story, and wouldn't need the support of another. That's not always easy to do. Sometimes secondary characters would fade in the background if they weren't connected in some way to another character. So, I like that.

VAMPIRES: I like Vampires. I don't know what it is. I just do. Their blood lust I could do without, but the supernatural strength, and weird sensuality. I can dig. I'm a weirdo, so sue me.

FRIENDSHIP: Merit, and Mallory's friendship is the bomb. They live together cordially. They make each other laugh, and they have the other's back no matter what. They were never catty, and the author didn't make Mallory--that stereotypical best friend, and that was a relief. None of the over the top girly pushiness, none of the I'm overly sexed and my bestie is not foolishness. Just two grown women, being best friends.

MERIT: Merit, is attacked and made into a vampire, a freaking vampire. And she didn't do much freaking out. Of course, she had to come to terms with it but she did so smoothly. I mean I don't know that I'd be so open but she was and I was like, okay. I like this girl. She's smart, she sassy and she's doing the thing as a vamp'.

ETHAN: Ethan is one big fat mystery to me. He's like an unripened onion. There's layers to him but you're not gonna get to them because he's not ripe. But I know some good is going to come out of his story. I just know it. And I am looking forward to it.

CATCHER: Catcher is a sarcastic little bastard--but he means well. I like that he pretty much comes onto the scene and dominates everything--including a certain someone. There's a story behind him and I'm eager to see what it is.

What Bothered Me:
It's a pretty slow moving story. It's probably because this was planned to be a series so there's the a lot that will be left for the rest of the books, but it's cool. I'll wait. Impatiently but I'll wait. 

Evil little authors.

My own personal gripe is that I wanted a romance to spark between certain characters and that didn't happen. But I believe in lust and love, it's gonna happen. It will. I can feel it. *Insert evil laugh here* I shall have my romance.

Overall: I'm pretty pleased with this book. I've already started book two and I am well on my way to finishing it. I know I'll be seeing this series through. I just hope Mallory gets her own series, at some point--if she hasn't.

Recommended to Urban Fantasy beginners and lovers.

14 comments:

  1. I remember loving this series but never made it pass book four. I need to pick this series back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! So happy you started this series, it's one of my favorite UF series! It honestly gets SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I do hope that you keep reading this series! I absolutely LOVED it a while back, though I'll admit I haven't kept up with the last couple of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely keep reading. Almost through with book two!

      Delete
  4. Forex Enigma

    Forex Enigma Review

    Forex Enigma Signals Software Review – Is Forex Enigma System a Legit or Scam? Don’t Buy It Before Knowing Everything About This Program

    Product Name: Forex Enigma

    Product Creator: Karll Dittmann

    Category: Forex

    Official Website: CLICK HERE

    http://toshkoraychevprofitsystemreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard this is a good UF series. I haven't read much UF lately but this sounds like a great place to start again. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good. You should give it a try!

      Delete
  6. I have been debating starting this series for a long time. I want to at least get the first 5 books before I even attempt it. Plus, there were a lot of reviews that put me off about the MC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any UF in ages. I tend to stick with straight-up contemporary romance. But this sounds like such a fun series. And a great review! Love how you broke it down with the characters. :) I'd be bummed with the lack of romance, too, but sometimes a slow build is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I LOOOVE vampires as well. I've been meaning to try this series for a long time. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god!! I haven't heard about this series in so long!! But I definitely want to read it, especially now b/c of your praising review! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen this book around quiet a lot and it seems like there is a big base of people who love it! I am someone who loves vampires but doesn't read nearly enough vampire books to make me happy. I'm going to have to read this one. Another one for the ever growing TBR ;)

    ReplyDelete