Monday, May 23, 2016

Quickie Reviews: Lola Carlyles 12-Step Romance by Danielle Younge-Ullman, and The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You by Lily Anderson

23014828
BLURB
Lola Carlyle is lonely, out of sorts, and in for a boring summer. So when her best friend, Sydney, calls to rave about her stay at a posh Malibu rehab and reveals that the love of Lola’s life, Wade Miller, is being admitted, she knows what she has to do.Never mind that her worst addiction is decaf cappuccino; Lola is going to rehab.

Lola arrives at Sunrise Rehab intent solely on finding Wade, saving him from himself, and—naturally—making him fall in love with her…only to discover she’s actually expected to be an addict. And get treatment. And talk about her issues with her parents, and with herself. Plus she has insane roommates, and an irritatingly attractive mentor, Adam, who’s determined to thwart her at every turn. 
Oh, and Sydney? She’s gone.
Turns out, once her pride, her defenses, and her best friend are stripped away, Lola realizes she’s actually got a lot to overcome…if she can open her heart long enough to let it happen


QUICK THOUGHTS
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
Hilarious. This book is so fun and so funny. Imagine being convinced to go to rehab because your best friend is there and so is your crush. It sounds tempting but it wouldn't be enough for me to force myself into that environment. Not if I didn't need it. But it's exactly what Lola does.

She gets there to find out her bestie's been checked out, and getting to her crush is not nearly as easy as she thought it would be.

I adored this one. Lola was hilarious. She had no filter, and she often said whatever she thought--much to the chagrin of her mentor.

I really liked the progression of this story. You really got a chance to see the characters grow, especially Lola. She was able to uncover a lot her deep-seated issues, and it was hilarious while it happened.

I definitely would recommend this novel, to pretty much anyone. It's fun, and it actually has romance--and it was so cute. Unexpected, and cute.
26114524
BLURB
Trixie Watson has two very important goals for senior year: to finally save enough to buy the set of Doctor Who figurines at the local comic books store, and to place third in her class and knock Ben West--and his horrendous new mustache that he spent all summer growing--down to number four.

Trixie will do anything to get her name ranked over Ben's, including give up sleep and comic books--well, maybe not comic books--but definitely sleep. After all, the war of Watson v. West is as vicious as the Doctor v. Daleks and Browncoats v. Alliance combined, and it goes all the way back to the infamous monkey bars incident in the first grade. Over a decade later, it's time to declare a champion once and for all.

The war is Trixie's for the winning, until her best friend starts dating Ben's best friend and the two are unceremoniously dumped together and told to play nice. Finding common ground is odious and tooth-pullingly-painful, but Trixie and Ben's cautious truce slowly transforms into a fandom-based tentative friendship. When Trixie's best friend gets expelled for cheating and Trixie cries foul play, however, they have to choose who to believe and which side they're on--and they might not pick the same side.


QUICK THOUGHTS
*A speical thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
This was a solid read. Strong main characters, strong secondary characters, and great banter.

The banter between the two main characters was so great. Trixie our main, MC had the tendency to be mean, and sometimes it did rub me the wrong way--but it was more right than it was wrong.

The relationship between Trixie and Ben was down right comical. How could two geniuses hate each other so much? Maybe it's because they're too smart for their own good. I don't know but, it made for an even better story. 

I'm one of those people that love that initial strife between characters--it makes it all the better if they come together.

This book really did have a lot going for it, there was no unnecessary drama between friends, or in the romance. There were no cat fights or bro-fights. Of course, there was drama/conflict--but the author strayed from the dramatic. 

The friendships are tight and I loved the way they interacted. They were not only smart but very mature.

This book was pretty much a win on all fronts. I highly recommend this to readers who love smarties, and drama-free reads.

28 comments:

  1. Great little minis for all of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked both of these! The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You looks really great. I like some good banter in my books. Wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of the second book a lot because BANTER! I hope Trixie doesn't bother me though at first.
    Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking to someone last night about how much they really liked TOTWTMIY, (damn that's a long title) so after seeing how much you enjoyed it, I shall be picking it up. I actually had the opportunity to read LC12SR last year, but I passed up on it, only because it didn't jump out at me at the time. I'm glad it's a good read, maybe I'll pick it up when I'm in the mood for something light and funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl that title is long! Lol. I think you might like these though! At least the first one, girl it's hard to tell. You're crazy lol.

      Delete
  5. I have seen the first one around a lot and always want to check it out. I love that cover. I hadn't realized it was funny too - big plus in my book. Great reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's pretty cute. Hope you check these out, and thanks!

      Delete
  6. They both sound like winners. I need to meet all of these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have both of these, so I can't wait to read them. I am so behind on review books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of Lola. Those kind of characters will make a book for me. As for the second book, I do like drama-free books. Sometimes they are great palate cleansers when I get into too much drama reading. :D Brilly reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO GLAD YOU LOVED LOLA!!!! I adored that book, so much fun and cuteness. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. aah, I've been reading good things about The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You!! and you loved it too!! :D I must get it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 12-Step Romance actually sounds really funny! I'm going to have to look into it! At first, reading the premise, I was like... what? a rehab romance? But the book sounds just enough out-there for it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven’t heard of the first book, but I’m really looking forward to reading the second one. It sounds good and I’m glad you enjoyed it! Great reviews :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rabiah. I hope you give these a try!

      Delete
  13. Omg Lola Carlyles!! I LOVE IT! I remember not being able to stop laughing when I read it <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I'm the lone wolf here but Lola definitely doesn't sound like my kind of book. I just this vision in my head (right or wrong) of: Girl goes to rehab to win guy of her dreams! Hijinks ensue! Hardee har har! Obviously there's more to it than that but it's just not doing it for me. Like I said, lone wolf here. LOL

    TOTWTMIY sounds worth a try, though. No over the top drama, clever banter... yes please! I'll probably hit up the library for this one. Enjoyed your mini reviews, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd seen the cover to 12-Step Romance before but not thought much of it. I kind of skipped it over. But it actually sounds like this one makes for a really good book that is fun to read and an entertaining story. I'm gonna have to check it out. As for the second book, a little banter is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete