Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios Book Review

21469068
BLURB
If Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing separating Skylar from art school is three months of summer…until Skylar’s mother loses her job, and Skylar realizes her dreams may be slipping out of reach.

Josh had a different escape route: the Marines. But after losing his leg in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be.

What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and, soon, something deeper.

Compelling and ultimately hopeful, this is a powerful examination of love, loss, and resilience.
REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
I don't know what I thought this story was about, but I can tell you whatever I thought--I was wrong. I didn't expect for this story to try and hurt me the way it did.

I mean it's actually kind of sad, and here I was--not having read the synopsis, thinking I was going to get something fluffy. Boy, was I ever wrong.

This story has it's moment of sadness but it's a pretty serious story.

Skylar is just trying to make it out. Collage, college, out of this small town--and do not repeat. Her dad died, her mom's a wreck--and she just want's to get out, out, out.

Chris--is her male best friend--he's also in love with her other best friend, Dylan. Chris is getting out too, and he's more than pushing for Skylar to do the same--but doubt is making it's way with his best friend--and he'll do all but push her to get her out.

Dylan--is held in by their small town. Her baby's here, right along with her baby's father/boyfriend that she adores. She has no plans to get out, but she'll be there for both of her best friends--while they do.

Josh: His character was this multi-dimensional thing that can't be easily described by simple adjectives. He's a marine, post-war, and really messed up. He lost one of his legs--but that limb--that limb took something with it. Being in Afghanistan did something to him--and now that's he back home--he's there but he's not the same.

The Story: To be honest--if I had know this story had a soldier/marine in it, I probably would have skipped it. But not for the reasons, you might think. The sadness, death and devastation that these characters bring with them is often so heavy I feel myself sinking down right with them.

I don't want the sadness--but this story is very well done, in that regard.  I imagine the author has some experience with this--or she knows someone who does/has. The pictures she paints are far too real to be anything other than personal experience.

As a whole, I have to admit this story is kind of sad. There's just this sadness that blankets the story. I had an overwhelming urge to cry for most of it. But it was okay, because there were spots of happiness--and they tended to overshadow a lot of the sadness.

What I liked most was the progression of the story--it was paced well, and it read realistically. None of it felt forced. 

It was just a story about a group of teenagers trying to get through life--despite their hardships, and setbacks. The author did a great job of keeping the story real, and grounded. 

The romance didn't have a lot of spark--but given the situation the characters were in, it made the most sense for it to play out the way it did.

At the end of the day, the story is well-written, it was entertaining enough to keep me in the story, and despite the fact that I wasn't expecting what I got--I was pretty pleased with the story.

It's a great contemporary for people that don't mind a heavy story and is willing to stick it out for the happy ending.

35 comments:

  1. Glad this took you by surprise in a good way. I love books that can bring out the feels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really good. I had no clue it was a heavy story. That makes me more intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either. It's so funny how a cover can fool you, because that's what got me. Hope you read it at some point and enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I almost borrowed this from the library last week. Thanks for pointing out what it's about. I just cannot do sad right now. I'm trying to read nothing but fluffy romance, summery contemporary, and fantasy. I can't with the heavy. I'm hoping the one I read last week is the last emotional one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you kind of have to be in the mood for this kind of read. I totally understand! If you do read it at some point. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  4. I’ve had this book sitting on my TBR shelf since it came out. I don’t mind heavy stories, so I’m looking forward to reading it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my FAVORITE books of all time! I'm so happy you liked it. I know what you mean about it handling a serious topic, but it does it so well. Like it's sad, but it also gives you hope and courage.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it does do that, Nick. I know so many people that loved this, I was more towards the like side--but it was worth reading!

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite books!! I didn't realize it was heavy either, at first. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of people love this one--which is what made me pick it up and I'm glad I did. It was well done!

      Delete
  7. Woah, I thought this one was gonna be fluffy too, by the looks of the cover/title. Glad it was an emotional ride though (in a good way!). Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thought it was gonna be fluffy, fooled me. But, at least it was still good. AND, thanks!

      Delete
  8. I bought this one not to long ago because everyone raves about it. Glad you enjoyed it too even if it is heavy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. I hope you read and like this one!

      Delete
  9. Gah. I need to read this book! Everyone loved it, and I don't know why but I'm worried it might kill me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't, Joy. It might get to you a bit though.

      Delete
  10. When I clicked on this review I said " Jaz better not had played with one of my favorites " lmao. It makes me so happy that you really liked this book. We've talked about how you don't like to read war stories, but the fact that you were able to come out with a great experience, really makes me proud lol. You know I agree with everything you've said 100%, and whatttt YOU WANTED TO CRY? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I was getting choked up. Josh is--his life, it's so sad.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you liked this one so much!! I thought it was good, but it didn't charm me, exactly and I found it slow. But I liked the themes and it's rare to have a soldier in a teen read, am I right? ;) Great review.

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does read slow. But I guess it was right for that kind of read. I wasn't exactly charmed but I was pleased. Yes, a soldier, in YA--is definitely rare!

      Delete
  12. DANNGGG HAHA! That is a HIGH rating girl and I just LURVE the fact that even though you had NO idea what this book was about... YOU STILL LOVED IT, and you ended up liking it a lot more than you thought you would. IDK bout you, but this has happened to me a couple of times (and movies as well) where I won't read the synopsis. This can be a good thing or a bad thing...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, for me I guess it is a high rating. That is so bad! Lol. I'm sucking at picking books tbh. I'm glad I still liked it more than I expected. I wasn't blown away but I was pleased.

      Delete
  13. This book sounds good but oh so sad I might have to skip it for now. Maybe until I'm happy and not just trying to cure a book hangover, right? Still, glad YOU enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOOPS! That's me! Didn't know my sister had her Google account open LOL.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Melissa. Lol! Yeah you might want to find just the right time to read this so you can take it in better. :)

      Delete
  14. As soon as I saw you review for this one in my inbox my heart leapt. My first thought was, "please don't make me read a bad review - I couldn't handle it." Thank goodness it wasn't because it would have broke my fragile heart. This book. THIS BOOK. I adore it. It was one of my favorites of 2015 (tied with The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah) and instantly became one of my favorites ever. I was so invested in Josh and Sky's stories and my heart hurt for those two time and time again. I just wanted so much for them. An escape, some peace, something better. I like how you said the sadness blankets the story because that is so true. And I don't mean it in a bad way. I just think Demetrios did an incredible job in portraying Josh and Sky's despair and how their situations felt so bleak. So glad you enjoyed it even if it wasn't what you expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously wanted to try The Nightingale. If that book can make me cry, it's the best book ever. Not one book has made me cry, ever. The author did a great job with this one!

      Delete
    2. Seriously?! You have never cried from a book... ever? Heart of stone, girl, heart of stone. LOL I cry at every other book I read it seems. ;-)

      Delete
  15. I also thought this would kind of be a fluffy read, but I'm glad that it wasn't. This was one of my favorites of last year, so I'm really glad you didn't skip out on this one Jazmen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of people loved this one! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. This is one of those books that I never really gave much care. Now I'm really interested to read it. I'm basically a sucker for books with sad stories.. Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a lot more different than I thought it was going to be as well. I also thought this one was a fluffy kind of read but turns out there is a whole lot more to it which makes it emotional. I am curious now and would love to try it for myself. Adding this to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete