Friday, May 27, 2016

Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Book Review

6319978
BLURB
Vamps in Chicago!

You’d think headlines like that would have provoked the fine citizens of the Windy City to take up arms against us bloodsucking fiends. Instead, ten months later, we’re enjoying a celebrity status reserved for the Hollywood elite—fending off paparazzi only slightly less dangerous than cross and stake-wielding slayers. Don’t get me wrong, Joe Public isn’t exactly thrilled to be living side-by-side with the undead, but at least they haven’t stormed the castle yet.

But all that will change once they learn about the Raves—mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle and drink themselves silly. Most civilized vampires frown on this behavior, putting mere mortals at ease with their policy of asking a person’s consent before taking a big gulp of the red stuff. However, that doesn’t make good copy for a first time reporter looking to impress his high society family.

So now my “master,” the centuries old, yet gorgeously well-preserved Ethan Sullivan, wants me to reconnect with my own upper class family and act as liaison between humans and vampires—and keep the more unsavory aspects of our existence out of the media. But someone doesn’t want people and vamps to play nicey-nice—someone with an ancient grudge.
 

REVIEW
THREE AND A HALF OUT OF FIVE STARS
Another nice installment to this UF series.

What I liked: You're really getting to know more about Merit--which is nice. It's always nice to see characters grow, and truly come into their own, which is precisely what Merit is doing.

Conflict: We're starting to see some real conflict come into play, it's a little teasing but it holds promise of real action--which we get a taste of towards the end of this book.

Knowledge: It seems we learn more and more not only about the characters, but about the meat of the story. How vampires operate, how certain things came about. It's interesting--and one of the things that series offer--the ability to know more.

What I didn't like, or don't like:

Romance: Merit, is not getting any--in any fashion. The poor girl had a hot vampire on her tail--and yeah. I won't give that away. But, it's not going well.

Not to mention I still haven't gotten what I wanted out of the two characters I mentioned on my previous review. Come on Ms. Chloe--grant me my single wish.

Repetitiveness: Obviously it's a little early to pull the repetitive card. But I feel it lurking like a clingy shadow. I'm a little concerned that this story is going to get repetitive. Now, fans of this story have assured me otherwise, but I'm watching--like a hawk. Because let me tell you the patience I had for those kinds of story is waning fast.

Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the series and I'm not ready to call it quits yet. I still have hope for this story,and I'd still recommend it!

15 comments:

  1. I do like the sound of this but may let you read a few more and see what you think as it goes on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I stopped reading this because of the romance, I liked the sexual tension but, I don't know, it just wasn't doing it for me. I have heard these get way better though so hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're mostly pleased with this one! I hope the next one is even better. I really want to try this series myself so I am curious what you will think of the next ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also read (well, listened) to this one and I'm not totally into the storyline either. I do like the characters but it hasn't quite captured me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope this series starts to get better for you because if there's one thing I HATE, it's repetitiveness! :( But on a good note, at LEAST you're getting a little bit more of the story! :) Here's to the rest of the series being amazing for you lovely! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this series before, but it sounds quite intriguing! I'll have to look it up :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll see how you feel a few books in. I'm totally on the fence about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, you didn't like it as much as the first one, right? I think I remember you giving 4 stars to the first. Anyway, I hope you get what you want out of those characters!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the first few books in this series, but I have quit it, actually... I hope you'll keep on enjoying it, though!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to let you keep reading and make a judgement call before I decide whether to pick up the series. So thanks for that. lol Although, feeling like repetition might be an issue and it's only book two... *cringe*

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of those seemingly endless series that I could never even thought about trying. I hope it only gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL love this series and it's so fun that you're starting it -- glad you liked this one, I promise things will get better for Merit (romantically)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this series yet but enjoyed your review! Hopefully you enjoy the next read in the series more :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the first book years ago, but never continued. I don't have a good reason why I didn't. I should pick t back up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems like this was a decent addition in the series. It sounds like you did manage to enjoy the plot and the character development, but there are still characters you wanted more from and you have yet to receive that. And I do like romance in my books so I hope that amps up sometime soon as well!

    ReplyDelete