Friday, May 20, 2016

A Totally Awkward Love Story by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison Book Review

26192555
BLURB
For fans of The DUFF, this hilarious and true-to-teen romance is Broad City meets Judy Blume.
 
The summer before college, Hannah swears she’s finally going to find The One. And for five perfect minutes, Hannah does find him. He’s cute and makes her laugh like crazy. She just wishes she’d caught his name, because Toilet Boy Cinderella really lacks sex appeal.
 
For Sam, the summer is off to a bad start for a million reasons. But for five minutes his luck changes: in a fancy restroom painted purple like it belongs in a Bond villain hideaway, Sam falls head over heels for some strange and hilarious girl. Of course, he doesn’t know her name. With his luck, he’ll never see her again, and he’ll remain a girlfriendless, moony-eyed virgin. Forever. 
 
But another chance meeting brings them together, only to have a chance misunderstanding drive them apart . . . and then the cycle starts all over again. Madcap mishaps, raunchy hilarity, and deep romance follow these two wherever they go. For two people so clearly destined for each other, they sure have a hell of a lot of trouble even getting together.
REVIEW
3-ISH OUT OF FIVE STARS
What I Liked: The awkward love. I've always felt an odd connection to stories that feature awkward characters who do everything nerdy, and awkwardly--and mess everything up. Okay, that sounds crazy but I always found it to be more realistic than a lot of other types of love stories. Sometimes love is not that easy thing. It's more a clumsy, falling into it by accident kind of thing--and this story does that and then some.

The characters: I can't say I related to them on a personal level--but they're a realistic depiction of a normal, everyday person. Not everyone has it all together, and I can appreciate the author's take on this.

The humor: The story itself is pretty humorous, you might not bend over in hysterics--but you'll be plenty amused.

What I Didn't Like:
Immaturity: Some parts of this story felt immature, it might be that I'm too old to appreciate this story fully--but I definitely feel that it would appeal to a younger audience--but not too young, there's sexual content, albeit mild.

The conflict: To be honest, it felt a little drawn out, and I found it made the story longer than it needed to be.

FINAL VERDICT
This was a cute-ish story, that had its moments of appeal but to be honest felt a little child-ish. This novel would better appeal to readers, who don't mind sexual instances--and awkward characters. 

29 comments:

  1. So many positive reviews for this that it is sort of nice to see one more neutral for it. ;) Great review and have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny, is I never seen a review for this one aside from mine.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy. I really should be reading reviews before I buy books. I picked up this book two weeks ago. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, you'll probably read it and feel totally differently. I can just see it, it just usually happens like that.

      Delete
  3. Immaturity can definitely put me off so not sure this would be for me but glad part of it worked for you! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters just weren't mature enough for my tastes, ya' know?/Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. This sounds so cute, but immaturity would put me off. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just couldn't really get into this one fully.

      Delete
  5. Ehh awkward characters make the story a little... I dunno... awkward. Thanks for letting me know though but I legit clicked on the review because of the quirky and fun cover.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You might actually like this one, don't let me stop you.

      Delete
  6. I hate immaturity in books because it makes me roll my eyes, but it does sound like a cute and quick read. Great review!

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had its moments but it just didn't work for me, fully. I hope if you read this one, you'll love it!

      Delete
  7. Judging by the cover I would have guessed immaturity. Glad that there was good stuff too. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I guess I should have seen that coming. Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  8. The cover is beyond adorable--- but IDK... I'm not really a fan of super immature characters or drawn out, over-dramatized problems. I mean, I know these are teenagers we're reading about, but that doesn't mean I want to read about a 16 year old who feels like a 10 year old in attitude. You know what I mean??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is adorable but the immaturity thing, I couldn't get passed it.

      Delete
  9. ahahahha love!! Looks like this could be a funny book. I don't mind awkward romance, but you mentioned immaturity and that's a downer. I think it's hard to pull off immaturity, as in make us love a book if it's present. Anyway, you did a great job reviewing this, Jazmen girl, so well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lola. This book was just more a miss for me!

      Delete
  10. So the synopsis was starting to grab me but the I read about the plot hinging on a misunderstanding and I was like, nope I'm out. That's my least favorite plot device *ever* and I just can't handle it. The 3(ish) out of 5 stars rating makes me think I'm not missing anything phenomenal anyway.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to be honest--you're not missing much. But it is kind of fun.

      Delete
  11. I've seen this one around, but haven't decided if I want to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you do I hope you actually like it.

      Delete
  12. It's frustrating to me when a book reads like a younger YA novel but has content that doesn't work for the younger YA set. This cover is so adorable - I've been really curious about it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so frustrating. I hope if you read it, you like it more!

      Delete
  13. This cover is so cute! I've read another book by Ton and Lucy and I really enjoyed it, so I might give this one a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this sounds like a fun read. Although romance isn't my strongest point, I'd love to get around this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Czai, girl, I love romance! I'm usually disappointed when there's none in a book! But, I understand. If you read it, I hope you like it!

      Delete
  15. I'm not sure how I feel about this novel at all. It sounds nice - the nerdy love and all. But at the same time it seems too normal and everyday. I'm not sure I am going to find something unique about this book and that worries me because that's what I look for in books.

    ReplyDelete