Friday, April 8, 2016

The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander ARC Book Review

23203977
BLURB
Since her twin brother, Eddie, drowned five years ago, sixteen-year-old Elsie Main has tried to remember what really happened that fateful day on the beach. One minute Eddie was there, and the next he was gone. Seventeen-year-old Tay McKenzie is a cute and mysterious boy that Elsie meets in her favorite boathouse hangout. When Tay introduces Elsie to the world of freediving, she vows to find the answers she seeks at the bottom of the sea.
REVIEW
RELEASE DAY: APRIL 26, 2016
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER FOR THIS REVIEW COPY*
This novel was pretty middle of the road for me.  I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. Let's get to the basics, shall we?

The Art of Not Breathing is a emotional story about two twins.  One has drowned and the other is alive but barely living, barely breathing. She struggles to come to terms with what happened on that fateful day--because no matter how hard she tries that day remains a mystery to her--and the reader. 

I didn't even realize this was dubbed as a mystery until I went back to Goodreads to update my reading status. But it makes sense because the mystery of what happened to Eddie takes the length of the story to solve. 

What I liked: I liked the flow of the story. It was paced well. I was curious and things seemed to move at a nice pace. 

The mystery: This is kind of a mixed bag. I was intrigued because I had no idea what really happened to Eddie, so in that regard I was happy. But, I wasn't happy when it all came down to the "big reveal," it was pretty lackluster--which was disappointing. 

The family dynamic--I liked the fact that there was a complete family--because we all know in YA--it's rare when both the mother and father are present. There were some hiccups but it was nice to see, regardless.

What I didn't like:

The romance: It wasn't that I didn't like the characters. I did. But the romance was pretty meh. It was like, oh you two are together, okay. That's nice. I like more in my romance, even in YA. 

The reveal: Which I mentioned, was pretty lackluster but it's kind of to be expected for anything labeled mystery in YA. Ya Mystery is a toss up.

To make it short, this was a decent read--nothing to go crazy over but I didn't want to put it down either. So, there's that. It was not one that will stick with me forever but it's a decent contemporary. I will mention our MC is somewhat plus-sized, so yay, for that. I'd recommend this to people who like contemporary with a little intrigue. 

30 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this one soon, but that's a shame the reveal turned out to be a bit disappointing. :(
    But yay for the MC being plus-sized!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like this one. It just wasn't for me.

      Delete
  2. Losing a sibling would be hard but a twin? I imagine that really would be devastating!

    Wonderful honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine so, because of that connection. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ugh I hate when the reveal is disappointing but I do love a book about twins. Sorry it wasn't better for you overall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like there's nothing extraordinary about the premise. It's certainly been done many times over before. Glad you gave it a chance, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I just don't know why I gave it a chance though. Lol.

      Delete
  5. Wait, wait... This is a mystery? I thought it was a contemporary novel. Huh. Not sure if I would like this one or not then. Sorry it wasn't the greatest for you. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one on my TBR, so I hope that I love it. I didn't know it was a mystery, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one I have and will be reading... but it's a shame it was only an okay read. I always love the build up when there is a mystery, but if nothing comes from it, then it really is disappointing :/ It seems like everything about this book simply said "okay"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall it sounds like a big helping of meh. And when the mystery is solved and you're just kind of... okay, so that's it, huh? Yeah, not so good. Where's the pay-off? A lame reveal can really taint the whole book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of this one before & I actually wanted to read it, but I'm not so sure now. I've recently gotten into mystery books and I'd rather not take time to read one if the reveal is nothing spectacular. Honestly what makes or breaks a mystery book for me is the reveal. I want mystery books that will shock me.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good when a book keeps you reading, despite how the end is, but that is a bummer that the end/reveal was a bit lackluster. I like romance, but I feel like it's not necessary in every novel and it seems like it's pretty "meh" in this one. Nothing to write home about, if you will. haha

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge romance fan so I love to see it but when it's meh it's meh.

      Delete
  11. Ah man, this definitely had the opportunity to be a decent read. You know me, I can't do MEH books. I didn't even know this was a mystery until you mentioned it, which could of been really great but lackluster? Hell no.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I honestly wish I had not read this book. It sounded so good but when I finished I went, "WTF did I just read?!"

    Great thorough review though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate it too when the entire book is all about the big reveal waiting to happen and you as a reader along with the characters in the book, are all pumped up to know about it. But, some times the big reveal is not big at all and just lays flat. So, I can understand your disappointment after having read few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started reading this one! I'm not sure where it is going to be honest, and I'm not sure if I like the MC. She's just too... plain (up until now). I am curious about the "big" reveal tho. Will hurry up and see if our opinions match :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, if the big reveal is lacking in a mystery, it pretty much ruins it for me. Oh well! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. "It was like, oh you two are together, okay. That's nice"

    Hahaha! Oh geez. Yeah, really GOOD mysteries in YA are kind of hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review! I feel like so many YA books lately are just ok -- nothing amazing but not bad! Those are also the hardest books to review!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still on the fence on whether I should read this or not! I might have to give it a pass, maybe when I'm in the mood for a mystery? I didn't even know it focused on the loss of a twin!

    Sorry that the reveal wasn't as amazing. I hate when that happens because it's like...all that build up for nothing :(

    ReplyDelete