Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1) by Danielle L. Jensen

17926775
BLURB
For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the mountain. When Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she realises that the trolls are relying on her to break the curse.


Cécile has only one thing on her mind: escape. But the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time…


But the more time she spends with the trolls, the more she understands their plight. There is a rebellion brewing. And she just might be the one the trolls were looking for...

REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
Okay, Melissa, okay. I've read the book, and now here it goes. :P

While I didn't find the concept of Stolen Songbird unique, the characters, and the clever way with which they spoke--the tantalizing magical world of Trollus--and book boyfriend worthy, Tristan made this story a real win.

Let me just elaborate on what I considered a lack of uniqueness. The girl saves the proverbial day idea is not new. Neither is the forbidden romance--but what I found to be less than unique was one of the many things I liked about this novel.

With magic, kidnapping and romance as a backdrop it wasn't hard for me to get pulled into Stolen Songbird.

Cecile is a songstress with a voice of wonder. With plans to leave her hometown to live with her Mother and travel the world, singing and becoming an instant sensation--things quickly go awry.

She's kidnapped by a family friend and sold to trolls in this intriguing world called Trollus. Cecile is determined to escape. But things are never, ever that easy.

What really pulled me in like the girl I am was Tristan. As soon as he started talking I'm like, yup that's my kind of guy. He's abrasive, and obnoxious. He spoke in circles around Cecile but he's  satisfyingly clever. I like a guy with a smart mouth, so sue me.

Secondary characters are also a plenty and the whole lot of them are pretty likeable. There's a pretty powerless Queen and an evil father. 

The father, of course, uses his power for bad. Naughty, naughty, man.

The story as a whole moves slowly but progresses greatly in the second half--which is to be expected for fantasy. World-building, and info serving are imperative starts.

Aside from that, once the action starts--it's heart stopping. The author does a good job of keeping the reader guessing as to what will happen next--not only with the story but most importantly the characters. 

The romance is slow burn, the magic is plentiful--and the story is good. Readers will be taken on a fun journey with otherworldly characters, and odd happenings--Fantasy fans will enjoy this romance based YA.

Book two is definitely on my radar.


20 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAAAAAAY! Hahah I will stop pushing now. I'm so glad you liked Stolen Songbird and my love, Tristan. The rest of the trilogy is just as good,tho the final definitely goes for the kill. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I guess there's no need now. You were the ultimate book pusher and you won me over. But I liked it, so I'm happy!

      Delete
  3. I CAN NOT WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK! I love all of the covers for them! Even though I haven't read them yet, I'm already in love with Tristan even though you say he's rude and mean. What can I say? I'm a sucker for those types of guys (in a book, I mean) If a guy was a butthead to me in real life.... yeah...we're not even going to get into that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I love rude guys because although they have this tough exterior they tend to be sweet on the inside. I really hope you like it!

      Delete
  4. Okay so maybe the overall plot wasn't super unique in a broad sense but it sure sounds like this had a lot going for it anyway. I mean, first of all... trolls? I don't think I've *ever* read a book that featured trolls. Pretty cool. And slow burn romance? Yes please! Glad that this one was mostly a hit.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on this series for quite some time! I definitely will be checking it, especially since the cover is so neat!
    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on reading this over summer and I'm so excited to see that you really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you loved this. I only enjoyed it (kinda), but that's all because I don't do well with fantasy reads. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the rest of the books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this series! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's an underrated series for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book, so looks like I need to add it as part of my TBR Pile Challenge. I'm glad that you enjoyed this, even though the concept isn't unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a book I have on my TBR, so I am so glad that you were able to love it! The idea of a book about trolls is unique to me - I don't think I have seen it done anywhere else before. And of course, there are some things that are utterly recycled about this book, but it seems like the world and the secondary characters really do make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I was kind of iffy on whether or not this book looked good, but after reading your review I'll have to give it a go one day. I'm so glad you liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. If done well I don't think a book needs to be super unique or whatever. Sounds like this one was good so yay!! Plus pretty cover :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good fantasy read. I'll look out for this one for now since I'm still not completely sure with my relationship with fantasies. So glad to know you enjoyed this. Great review, Jazmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a good read! As if I need any more books on my TBR list! lol And Tristan sounds amazing haha
    Great review doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I have been literally wanting to read this book forever, and I'm really glad you liked it. I know that the trope is so overdone, but eh whatever I WANT to read that trope hahahha!

    Awesome review Jazmen. I just want to pick this up NOW. Maybe I should. This is short, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this one and yes, basically because of Tristan. Loved the hate to love romance as well. Glad you liked it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete