Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Love Me Never by Sara Wolf Book Review


BLURB
Don’t love your enemy. Declare war on him.

Seventeen-year-old Isis Blake hasn’t fallen in love in three years, nine weeks, and five days, and after what happened last time, she intends to keep it that way. Since then she’s lost eighty-five pounds, gotten four streaks of purple in her hair, and moved to Buttcrack-of-Nowhere, Ohio, to help her mom escape a bad relationship.

All the girls in her new school want one thing—Jack Hunter, the Ice Prince of East Summit High. Hot as an Armani ad, smart enough to get into Yale, and colder than the Arctic, Jack Hunter's never gone out with anyone. Sure, people have seen him downtown with beautiful women, but he's never given high school girls the time of day. Until Isis punches him in the face.

Jack’s met his match. Suddenly everything is a game.

The goal: Make the other beg for mercy.
The game board: East Summit High.
The reward: Something neither of them expected.

Previously published as Lovely Vicious, this fully revised and updated edition is full of romance, intrigue, and laugh-out-loud moments. 

  
REVIEW
FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

You can also find this review on YA Books Central here:
http://www.yabookscentral.com/yafiction/19744-love-me-never

Love Me Never, is hands down one of my favorite reads of the year, so far. 

Witty. complex characters--with an equally complex plot make this story, a sure winner. What seemed like a story that was simply good for a laugh, was far deeper than it's surface humor--and boy did it serve humor.

What I liked:

Isis--she puts the snark in snarky. Her vicious insults and witty humor kept this reader laughing throughout the day--which is about how long it took me to read this one, give or take a few hours. It's an "in one sitting" kind of read. 

Isis' "chubby" past has left her jaded and humorously wary of all individuals--boys in particular. That includes Jack, whom after insulting an innocent girl--becomes the victim of a revenge plot constructed by Isis herself, that kept me entertained and glued to the pages of this book until it was finished--and even after that.

Jack: Jack is a jerk and Isis is determined to make him pay for his faults. It's what ensues between these two characters (the banter, the love-hate) that made this book so easy to love. 

Jack, is for all intents and purposes hot, but he's mean--very mean. He walks through the halls with a glacial stare, and a total lack for anyone's feelings--especially those of Isis--the new, loud, and rambunctious girl who can't seem to get from  underneath his skin.

These two battle, and they battle hard and that was my favorite part of this book. There was enough wit between the two to make anyone feel shame for not being just as clever. The back and forth was so good, I honestly couldn't get enough. 

But, don't let the many laughs (because there will be many) fool you, this book has a dark plot and a even darker agenda. Thee characters have dark secrets and I spent the better part of the novel trying to figure it all out. There's a foreboding sense of "What happened?," throughout the novel--and the author does a great job of making it very vague--so as to not give anything away until she's good and ready.

Let me tell you when you find out, it's not to be expected. 

The secondary characters: The "Rents," Avery, Kayla, and Wren. The whole 'lot of them play important parts to this story and are very strong all their own. Some superficial but perfectly fitting. Three dimensional characters abound in this novel.

This book has a purpose, although by the end I'm not entirely sure what it is, because it's not fully concrete. I am dying to find out. I want to pull this book's layers apart, piece by piece until I know all of it's dirty secrets.

The book's all around dark, clever humor will suck you right in, and keep you there.

You'll laugh, you'll flinch, but you'll fall in love--quickly. With so many layers of goodness--romance, humor, and even mystery--there is nothing not to love about this novel.

The cliffhanger, that is the end, will hang over your head like a cloud on a severely stormy day. I had an immediate, "I NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW," kind of feeling. Readers will be shocked, because what you get, you don't expect

What I didn't like:A big fat goose egg. I loved it all.

Final Verdict--Stunningly clever writing, humorous characters, with a dark and chilling plot that will set the reader in a frenzy to figure it all out. It wows, and it will stay with you long after it's sequel appears--which is until fall unfortunately, and even after that.

But, don't worry, you can wait with me while I sit here in a glass case of need.

13 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before but it sounds like one I must read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK this sounds amazing, Jazmen! I'm so glad you're having better luck with books lately and even more that you're sharing with me. I love it when a book can make me feel all kinds of emotions and this sounds perfect for that.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved this book. I hope you get to read it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yay for a 5 star read!!! I hadn't heard of this one but will totally have to check it out now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah another rec from you! I have you to thank for Imperfect Chemistry, so hells yeah, I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't come across this one before. Wow, 5 stars. I'll have to look this one up. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Witty, clever characters are my favorite things in books, so this will be a perfect read for me! I'm so glad you loved this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO this sounds like a great one Jazmen! Snarky, witty, I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 5 star review from you always stops me in my tracks and makes me take notice. This is the first I've heard of this one and I'm liking everything I hear! I'm a sucker for great, clever banter. And - bonus - it sounds like there's a lot more going on than meets the eye. Awesome review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete