Friday, March 18, 2016

The New Guy (And Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding ARC Book Review

23232950
BLURB
A ridiculously cute, formerly famous, new guy dropping into your life? It’s practically every girl’s dream.

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan’s.

I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn’t get to be the editor of my school’s long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year — early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college — and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to “live a little,” or boys. 

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you’re thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don’t understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I’m not going down without a fight.

* Okay, I sort of did. But it’s a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn’t go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

*** Some people think I’m overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with tons of romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that’s sure to have you falling for The New Guy.
REVIEW
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*


This book is so...it's so, *sigh*. This book. I had high hopes for this one. After hearing copious amounts of praise for Spalding's previous book, Kissing Ted Callahan (And Other Guys)--I thought this would be a cute story about the last year of high school, and the new guy and whatever other silly, crazy things might occur.

And it was that but it was so darn cheesy and annoying. 

Let's start off with the beginning. No, let's start off with what the story is about. 

Alex is a former band boy member. He has great hair and an amazing smile. Everyone adores him. I mean, what's there not to like about him? He instantly fits in, he gets along with everyone and he's not even stuck up even though he used to be famous. He's great, right? Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Then there's Jules, who's full name I will not include, because it's too long, and so is this sentence. Anyway--Jules is primed in J. Crew's latest wear, she's apart of every committee there is. She works hard, she volunteers to walk dogs. She's the product of two moms. She has her life mapped out. She's damn near perfect.

So when Alex shows interest her, no matter how perfect she may seem--she doesn't get it. Why her? What is it about her?

Although that lingers in the back of her mind she can't help but fall (during the amazingly long stint of a week and a half) for Alex and him for her. I didn't know if I should have been impressed that by 25 % into the book the characters had reached a semi climax or annoyed that they did.

I really hate to say insta-love when there's really the presence of insta-like. But I think what authors fail to realize is that the slow burn gives the reader something to look forward to--in the case that romance is involved. I mean on the one hand I get why it happened the way it did--but quite frankly it annoys me. It's like now what?

Oh, right I got an idiotic rivalry. That's what.


What essentially winds up coming between Alex and Jules has got to be the biggest miscommunication ever. It goes downhill quickly and for what I felt was not only a stupid reason--but a disappointing one as well. 

The whole thing is just silly and childish and eye roll inducing.  I literally felt like punching a hole through the screen of my tablet--because this book was getting on my nerves something terrible with it's juvenile arguments, lame romance and lackluster characters.

I'm not dissing the writing because there's nothing wrong with it but I didn't care about anything that happened in this book--like at all.  The characters, the so-called drama, none of it.

And if I have to see the word grin in a book in the next oh, 25 years, it would be too soon.

Oh, two stars for this one.

*sigh*






30 comments:

  1. Aww..that's bad. It feels pathetic when you have such high hopes from a book and it turns out so meh..especially when you get a free copy for review. I feel guilty giving a bad rating to the ARCs I receive but you have to be honest. Any ways I hope your next book turns out good because you have had a trail of bad or ok books for some time now(but with some good ones in between too). Why don't you try something totally different from what you usually read and may be, surprisingly, you will come across something superb! This works you know, I have tried it. It is difficult to come out of your comfort zone but you should try it. It often turns out good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought about that yesterday, reading something completely different. I wanted to try to get through my review copies--but I'm definitely trying something new soon! Thanks, Nita!

      Delete
  2. :( This makes me sad. I really really liked Kissing Ted Callahan, so I have huge hopes for this one. It doesn't sound a lot like that book though-- even though the use of the parenthesis made me think it was a spin-off or something. Also NO to grinning. I hate that too!! And blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept hearing that Kissing Ted Callahan was really cute. I think I actually read your review, I can't recall. But I hadn't realized right off it was the same other but when I did I was glad to be reading it. Unfortunately it didn't pan out. Oh well.

    I don't mind grinning and blushing too much but the word grin was seriously overused in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one to stay away from. You know I hate cheesy books like this. I will never be able to understand why older readers love books like this. To each their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I think you get caught up in, it's so cute. But cute it was not and irritating it was.

      Delete
  5. Oh boo! I can't do cheesy books anymore. And also miscommunication? Yeah, bye!
    Sorry this wasn't as great as you hoped it would be, Jazmen! I hope your next book is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for me to move it along. No more cutesy romance for me.

      Delete
  6. Darn girls in YA books that give girls in real life a complex. I mean, if this girl is nearly perfect and she she doesn't see it, then what are the chances of girls outside of the literary world to embrace who they are and love themselves? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you didn't care for this one. Books that are cheesy are the worst if not done right. I hope your next read is wayyyyyy better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hoping for the same. I got one good ones so far!

      Delete
  8. Childish and cheesy stories are the worst! Sorry this one wasnt better for you, I will be staying away from this book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so I'm all for cutesy/cheesy/oh-so-adorkable YA now and then. It's fluffy and romantic and swoony and it's like the literary equivalent of sorbet. But as soon as you said miscommunication... I. A. Out. When it coming to annoying tropes/pet peeves that is my #1 with a bullet. I LOATHE plot devices that hinge on a single freaking miscommunication that could be solved with a single freaking conversation. Gah! Okay, now that I am sufficiently riled up I'm off to go punch a pillow or something. *storms off dramatically*

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWWW. This book sounded so great. Darnit, cheesiness, DARNIT. You did it again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oy, this does not sound like something I need to read. At all. I am picky with contemporary to begin with, and cheesiness is kind of a fatal flaw for me haha. I shall be seeking a good home for this, I don't think I can handle it! Great review, sorry it didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I think I'll have to give this book a miss! I've read enough overly cheesy books to last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost requested this one but decided against it. So glad now!! Too many things i rather stay away from seem to be in this one. Sorry it wasn't better or you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really lucky to have skipped this one. I am telling you!

      Delete
  14. You don't like cheesy books? It seems like sometimes things in this book were a little trying. I have a favourite book which is Cinder and Ella by Kelly Oram and it is kinda cheesy. I don't mind it too much, but this one would have me rolling my eyes a little too much I think...

    ReplyDelete
  15. darn! This sounded like it was going to be a good one!! I hope you enjoy your next book more =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry you didn't end up liking this one but yes, sounds super cheesy and something I wouldn't like either. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kissing Ted Callahan was just ok for me but I thought this one would be cute, too! Both of them suffer from the same issue for me and that is the MC's atrocious treatment of her friends. And the insta-like was so overwrought too! Ugh! Great review, this one did not work!!

    my review

    ReplyDelete