Thursday, March 24, 2016

Signs of Life (Rough Romance, #2) by Selene Castrovilla Quickish ARC Book Review



BLURB
The tables are turned with a vengeance in this tour de force love story. Nearly a year has gone by and now it’s Dorothy who is fragmented and lost, while Joey keeps the promise he had made her to better himself —even though she’s gone. Joey talks about what is happening in the present while Dorothy describes what happened before— in the moments and hours after the Glock dropped. This time the stakes are even higher, as Joey forces himself to move forward while Dorothy is frozen in place. But when he learns of a devastating decision, Joey races to find her before it is too late. Truth, consequence, repercussion and modern medicine collide as pieces converge in this psychological, thrilling story which begs the question: Can love really conquer all?

REVIEW
FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS
There are so few books that make me feel something--not that I'm heartless or anything. I just tend to be affected by things in different ways than a lot of people. But besides all of that this book was, this book did, this book made me feel.

It was like oh, hey heart. How are you? Are you well? You are? Okay...*kick, shred, punch.* Much better. This book toyed with my heart. It gave me everything I loved and appreciated from book one right back in book two.

The sharp succinct prose read like sucker punches to the throat. There was nothing soft  about this novel. It was all sharp turns, unexpected hits and rough love. Told from the perspectives of then and now, him and her, this book was a roller coaster ride.

Dorothy is broken, pieces of who she used to be, and Joey is trying to deal with the damage he's caused. All the while never letting go of the love that changed his life.

The book started off slow. Slowly bringing the reader back into the world and its characters--slowly building up to what turned out to be a momentous and powerful ending. 

At around 70 or 80 percent I was completely blown away by the revelations that were occurring. I had to steady myself against a wall for fear of stumbling backward as I read on the train platform. I literally did not see those things coming and I was shocked to say the least. And don't even get me started on that ending--that was a wallop for sure.

I can go on and on and tell you about how much I loved this book, and literally count the way-- but I won't. I'll just tell you that this is a sharp novel, that will puncture you at every turn. It's well written and it's powerful in it's own right.

I highly recommend it!

21 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I have never heard of this series before, but I'm headed to Goodreads now to look up the first book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. It sounds like a painful read. While I don't shy away from those, I need to be in a specific mindset before I can tackle something so emotionally taxing. Glad you loved it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, have I ever seen you give a book 5 stars? I realize I haven't been following you *that* long but still... I'm not sure I've seen a 5 star review in a long time, if ever. That alone is enough to make me sit up and take notice. I'm headed to GoodReads to look up the first book NOW.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I know how it has been such a long time since you've read a book which has managed to bowl you over fully that you could enjoy. I am glad this one managed to do it for you. It sounds like an epic kind of sequel and I want to try the series now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this series before. Definitely will have to look into it now. So glad you loved this - yay for 5 stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygoodness, this series sounds amazing. Definitely going to go on Goodreads to search up the 1st book because I NEED IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an emotional roller coaster ride that I could live again and again!

      Delete
  7. ohmygod, this is a sequel to Melt? I never knew it has one. I really love it! I felt so much for both Dorothy and Joey. SO glad you liked this. I'm definitely reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it. I don't know anyone who reads it. You must read this book!

      Delete
  8. I really loved the first book, so I'm sure I'll be reading this one soon. I just know it will be as emotional as the first one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jazmen, I love the way you write your reviews! You always make my laugh, not that I enjoy your suffering over a book or anything o.o I SWEAR. But I love how you make me want to grab the book, like this one, and feel EXCITED about how it'll ruin my heart. Crazy.
    I really hope to read Selene's books, I've read one of her YA books and I enjoyed it a lot. Heart punching and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, okay, I'm for sure reading these. I absolutely love when a book puts my heart through that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW this sounds so good! I did not give Melt much of a chance, I am afraid. It sounds like it got a lot better though, so now I am second guessing myself- I never DNF, it is one of three books of ALL TIME bwhaha. But this sounds incredible! So now I kind of want to reverse my decision. I love when a book can really give you SO many feels! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete