Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Instalove by Lexy Baker ARC Book Review

29347873
BLURB
A steamy New Adult romance of celebrity love on a college campus!

A month after losing her mother, Avery Edwards arrives on campus alone and shattered, hoping just to make it through the year and stay under the radar. Until she meets Declan Hargrove, ex-teen heartthrob and campus celebrity, who just so happens to be her Resident Advisor. With dark hair and striking blue eyes, Declan definitely lives up to the rumors…...unfortunately, so does his reputation.

The night before Avery arrived on campus, Declan was caught with his pants down. Literally. The “Stairwell Video”, as everyone dubs the sex tape, only makes Declan more desirable on campus, while it turns the girl into an instant pariah. Livid at the double standard, Avery does everything she can to stay away from him, which is easier said than done since they live in the same building…and considering the rumors definitely weren't exaggerating about his amazing abs.

But when they finally stop denying the sparks flying between them-in a closet at a frat party, no less-Avery panics and throws Declan under the bus in front of an entire audience ready to record them for posterity all over Instagram. But Avery's mistake on social media will affect more than just their social life. It turns out that rumors don't always tell the full truth, and when a new movie threatens to take Declan away from school, Avery might realize that falling for a star might not be so bad after all.
 

REVIEW
THREE AND A HALF OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to Bloomsbury Spark for this review copy*

I have to admit I had a tiny bit of concern before I started reading this book. I mean the title is Instalove. Enough said. But fret not there was no instalove here. But there is a bit of unnecessary arguments and a little bit of cheese. And, no it's not the kind you eat. 

To make a long story short, this story is about Avery and Declan. Avery, a now motherless child and smart-mouthed new student enrolls in college. Has a bit**y roomate, and is taking classes because she has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She's only a teen. So, no fault there. And then she comes across Declan. *duh duh duh*

Declan Hargrove, Resident Advisor and untouchable hottie--kind of famous hottie. He's the guy every girl wants, and he wants Avery--and boy, do the girls not like that. 

This is pretty much a typical NA romance, brooding boy falls for damaged or kind of damaged girl he really shouldn't have.  It's not really all that original but because I really liked Declan I won't put it in a box with the others because of that. Declan, was I guess what you would call a manhore, or at least he appeared to be. But, deep down he wasn't. He wasn't as callous or shallow as he seemed. He was actually kind of sweet.

And the relationship that eventually bloomed between Declan and Avery was cute, at times painful to deal with (read) but cute. I wouldn't go singing on any mountains about this book but, it was good for what it was...

A cute NA with some moments that made me smile and left me with a general feel good feeling.

I did roll my eyes at some points but it wasn't so bad that I had to put the book down. So I'd say for new adult--that's a win.

Recommend for New adult lovers that like their NA light. The blurb does mention it being steamy but it's about as steamy as the smoke coming off of slightly hot tea.

9 comments:

  1. My first thought was, omg it's titled INSTALOVE so I will have to pass. Lol! I'm glad you said that there wasn't instalove though. It sounds like a cute NA book, but maybe not for me. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about this one. I respect what the author wrote, but I'm so beyond the same old story told with different characters. I really need someone to blow me away with an awesome NA romance. Glad that you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for NA but I'm not sure about this one. The part in the synopsis that mentions Avery throwing Declan under the bus (knowing that he deals with his share of rumors and crap) makes me automatically dislike her. LOL Yeah, she's young but that a crappy move. As much as I like the overall premise I feel like now I'm predisposed to get all ragey if I read this one. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always dislike when a synopisis will build me up for disappointment. I would have never picked this up given the title. But this wounds like it turned out ok.
    Great Review!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I don't mind cheese. ;)

    Great review, glad there was no insta love even if there was some unnecessary drama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to be honest... I was pretty worried when I read the title because I really can't stand insta love at all. I'm glad it wasn't present in this book though. I doubt I'll be reading it because it sounds a little too typical for me. But I am glad it was a decent read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a TERRIBLE title?! Could they not have found something else???
    Anyways, I'm glad the book doesn't have insta love though! It does sound like a typical NA book, but I'm glad that Declan made the book for you!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah that title does it no favors at all! Glad it was cute. I sometimes can go for NA lite. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay. i don't mind reading this. the title is a little worrisome, but i'm glad we need not worry. lol.

    ReplyDelete