Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Imperfect Chemistry (Imperfect, #1) by Mary Frame A New Adult Book Review


Lucy London puts the word genius to shame. Having obtained her PhD in microbiology by the age of twenty, she's amassed a wealth of knowledge, but one subject still eludes her-people. The pendulum of passions experienced by those around her both confuses and intrigues her, so when she's offered a grant to study emotion as a pathogen, she jumps on the opportunity. When her attempts to come up with an actual experiment quickly drop from lackluster to nonexistent, she's given a choice: figure out how to conduct a groundbreaking study on passion, or lose both the grant and her position at the university. Put on leave until she can crack the perfect proposal, she finds there's only one way she can study emotions-by experiencing them herself. Enter Jensen Walker, Lucy's neighbor and the one person on the planet she finds strangely and maddeningly appealing. Jensen's life is the stuff of campus legend, messy, emotional, complicated-in short, the perfect starting point for Lucy's study. When her tenaciousness wears him down and he consents to help her, sparks fly. To her surprise, Lucy finds herself battling with her own emotions, as foreign as they are intense. With the clock ticking on her deadline, Lucy must decide what's more important: analyzing her passions...or giving in to them?

4 out of 5 stars
Imperfect Chemistry was a breath of fresh New Adult air. Forget the story, because to be truthful it's not that unique. I mean it's not a love story we haven't heard before. But these characters they're so unique. They're nothing like your typical NA characters. The girl is neither whiny or love struck. She's quite the opposite actually and it wasn't because she was some sassy bad as*. She wasn't even that. She was about as emotional as the grinch--and it worked. 

Lucy is a scientist in every sense of the word. Everything for her is a sense of questions with researchable answers. She's been studying science since she could speak and it's literally the way she lives her life. Clinically and to the point. She has no room for emotions because she doesn't quite understand or feel them. And that was why this book was so funny. I mean you won't be splitting your sides but you'll get a laugh out of this for sure. 

Watching Lucy struggle with the emotions she doesn't understand, and making friends with people she didn't know she needed--it was all pretty funny. (She can come off kind of dry so beware)
What also made me really like Lucy and her story was that there was nothing wrong with her. Not that she was perfect but she didn't have any problems with her family. She wasn't harboring some crazy secrets, and she had a solid background. How often does that happen?

Then there's Jensen. He's a supposed man whore. He's the guy all the girls want--but he winds up being someone not even I expected, and it was so refreshing. Without giving anything away, I think readers will be pleased to see there's more to Jensen then being your typical NA bad boy.

It was just a refreshing and decent story that didn't have to do much to be good. There was no insta-love, or a bunch of drama. It was just a good story with good characters, and I can't recommend it enough if even for just not being what all the other books are.

BTW, it's free right now on Kindle, or you can get both books, the first and the 2nd for only 2.99!


12 comments:

  1. I like it when a book has great characters. It's sounds like a nice read and although I'm not a big NA reader, when you said it's free right now, I'll just go ahead and download it, lol. I'll definitely read it soon! Great review, Jazmen! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like the sound of Lucy. The practical, thinking kind of heroine will remain one of my favourite characterization. Definitely downloading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh she's a scientist! As a scientist myself, that makes me happy! Also, no drama or crazy intense family pasts?? I'm in!
    This sounds like it was a great read!
    Lovely review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you called this a breath of fresh air in the genre, that really is hard to do in NA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good! I'm definitely in for a breath of fresh air in NA. I haven't read much NA, but thats because of that reason. Fantastic review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that this book isn't like all of the other NA out there these days! I've had enough of all of the weak heroines and the same drawn out plots! (But not the bad boys. The bad boys...hecks yes, they can stay) ;) I'm glad Lucy was so different as well. It's always refreshing to have a new type of character to run to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing a NA novel get some love and some points for uniqueness! And the fact that Lucy doesn't thrive on drama, doesn't have a dark past, and isn't a victim overcoming some trauma... hallelujah! And even Jensen isn't the typical man whore. Great review Jazmen and I'll be checking this one out for sure.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I don't have a degree in microbiology, but I feel like this will be me in a couple of years! In another subject or so. So I feel like I would completely connect with this novel. Thanks for putting this on my radar Jazmen! I wonder if I can still get it for freeee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally just one clicked this. I like the sound of this because the characters are different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for reviewing! It was definitely my intention to reverse some of those romance cliches and stereotypes that have become typical within the NA genre. I love that you totally got it!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this book sounds like it has a unique main character. I love the idea of her being scientist to a fault and how that is going to affect the relationship in certain ways. You always get a sassy character or a mushy one. It's nice to have something different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound good. I haven't read a NA in awhile so maybe I'll check this one out. For this type of book, the story doesn't need to be original, it's all about the characters. At least for me! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete