Monday, March 14, 2016

Dreamology by Lucy Keating ARC Book Review

Vibrantly offbeat and utterly original, Lucy Keating’s debut novel combines the unconventional romance of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with the sweetness and heart of Jenny Han.

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together, they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.

But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. Real Max is nothing like Dream Max. He’s stubborn and complicated. And he has a whole life Alice isn’t a part of. Getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.

Alarmingly, when their dreams start to bleed into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
3 out of 5 stars

Dreamology was pretty middle of the road for me. Not amazing but far from terrible. What started out as an intriguing tale of dreams and dream boys--quickly became kind of meh. Maybe, meh is a bad word. Because I don't want to imply the story is boring. It just got kind of dull after a while. Mostly because the story didn't seem to really be doing anything.

This review will seem somewhat contradictory because I did like the story.  I was fascinated by the idea of having a literal boy of your dreams. I can't imagine dreaming about the perfect boy for me and having him become reality. That's amazing right?

But it's not if the boy doesn't have the same feelings. Essentially that's what happened with Alice and Max. Max is complicated and he's not what she expected. He doesn't seem into her in the way she was hoping.

Honestly that was the part that sort of ruined it for me. He just was so against everything. I was just like, come on man! Get with this program.

Things took a turn for the better towards the end and it pleased me but I still don't have any strong feelings about this book. 

But then again there was Oliver. If Oliver were the love interest, this book would have been substantially better. He was charming, and witty--and odd. I loved him. There just wasn't enough of him. 

Max and Alice were interesting enough but they weren't standout characters.  I don't know guys I just feel like I'm trying to fill these pages with words. I don't have that much to say. I'm finding it harder and harder to review books like these. So I'm just gonna leave with a few more words. 

Dreamology is a good read but I wouldn't expect too much from it. The characters are okay. I will say I really loved the relationship between Alice and her father. It was really positive and they made me laugh. But all in all it's entertaining enough to keep you reading but you might not think about it much after.

18 comments:

  1. Yeah these meh books are so hard to review! I always have a tough time knowing what to say. This one doesn't really sound like an exceptional read even though parts of it do appeal to me. I'll have to think about if I want to read this one or not.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer!!! I just wrote a post about books with cool sounding titles... and this one was totally on it because the word Dreamology just SOUNDS interesting for a title. Too bad this didn't live up. I kind of hate when characters seem to be one way to the point where it's annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt pretty neutral about this one, ah well.

      Delete
  3. I think I'll pass on this one. I'm trying to avoid as many meh reads as possible, if I can help it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lekeisha. I totally wish I wasn't reading so many meh reads!

      Delete
  4. Bummer this wasn't better but at least it wasn't terrible either right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been on that kind of streak lately! It sucks when a book starts off well only to falter towards the middle. Good luck on your next pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am not winning at this pick out a book thing./Thanks, Joy!

      Delete
  6. So far, I've been hearing a lot about how this book is mediocre. I don't know if I'll be picking this one up or not yet. Thanks for the review!

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's pretty meh unfortunately./You're welcome!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the great review. I keep seeing meh reviews for this one, so I think I will pass. Btw, it is super hard to review middle of the road books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being excited about this book when I first saw it. But as the release date comes closer, I just end up not feeling so up to it anymore.. From the looks of things, I think that I won't exactly miss anything from skipping this. Thanks for the review, Jazmen :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really like the sound of this one. It's too bad it didn't make more of an impact. It sounds like nothing really stood out - story, characters, nothing. Such a shame. I won't be rushing out to get it but I still may give it a try at some point because I am so intrigued by the synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked this one too! I really liked the idea behind Dreamology, but I couldn't get behind Max and Alice. Max was just so wishy washy with their relationship, and I could never really get why.

    Awesome review Jazmen!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had been seeing this book around a lot but there was something about the synopsis which made me sure it wasn't going to be something I could love as much as I would want to for one I chose to pick up for myself. I think I made the right decision, because I don't really want to pick up a mediocre book at the moment... I'm reading too many of those already xD

    ReplyDelete