Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Book Review

BLURB
Last fall, sixteen-year-old Camelia fell for Ben, a new boy at school who had a very mysterious gift – psychometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Camelia and Ben's romance began to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry and experiencing strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have somehow been transferred to her.

Ben returns to school, but he remains aloof, and Camelia can't get close enough to share her secret with him. Camelia makes the painful decision to let him go and move on. Adam, the hot new guy at Knead, seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't. But when Camelia and Adam start dating, a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events uncovers secrets from Ben’s past – and Adam's. Someone is lying, and it's up to Camelia to figure out who – before it's too late.

REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
I've forgotten why I was so hard pressed to read this book. I distinctly remember wanting to read it pretty badly after reading the first book. I remember enjoying it immensely. I just don't know why anymore. With the large gap in time between books, I can't say I really like this series as much as I remember liking it. 

TIME GAP
I think pausing between the first and second books in a series is a major problem. It's essential to having plot holes in a book. Things don't add up. I don't remember much about the characters specifically but I do remember the basics. It just felt like visiting an old friend who's life details are blurry at best.

THE ROMANCE
Someone tell me again what it was I felt so swoony over. The romance in this book was pretty meh. There was a lot of back and forth that just felt kind of unecessary. It's like I get it, you can't be together but you want to, blah blah blah. Ironically as much as I still like Ben (believe it or not) I wanted the whole thing to be over. 

THE SCARE/MYSTERY
This was the one aspect of the book that managed to intrigue me. There was quite the mystery surrounding the who. I didn't know who the mystery person was or what they wanted. When it was finally revealed there was some surprise but it was pretty anti-climatic. 

THE BESTIES
Her friends could have told this story from their perspective and saved this book. They are hilarious. With quirky and bold styles I was quite amused by them. I actually would love to see them star in another book in some kind of way.

THE ENDING
The ending was so dramatic. The main characters had a Titanic I'll never let you go moment. The end. 

CONCLUSION
I must say I'm not totally against this series but it's not at all the series I remember--or should I say, I don't have the feelings I remember. To be honest, I'm less than thrilled and a little bored. Maybe this series was better for the younger me. 

I'd recommend these books to anyone who likes their YA a little paranormal and a little lighter on the romance.



19 comments:

  1. This series is one of the first ones I've read when I first discovered YA. I don't remember much about it now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading the first book and liking it but that was so long ago. I barely remember what this series is about. I will have to look it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boo! "meh romances" are the worst! And I agree, time gaps between series can be really hard. I'm sorry this one wasn't as great as the first book for you! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. I feel like if it's going to be meh. Just don't have romance./Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen this series before. I may have, just can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really been a while since this one's been out!

      Delete
  5. It's too bad this book was just a "meh" read for you. It sounded like it could have been a good one with the romance and all that but even with the romance it sounded like it was super disappointing to you. :( So sorry boo! I hope your next read is better! (I agree, the time gap between books sometimes really makes it hard to get back INTO a book!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds super interesting but I can totally understand your criticisms. I think the time gap would throw me too! Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this series. I hate when I forget things between books in a series though. Sometimes I realize the first book wasn't as good as I thought it was when I first read it.:X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sucks but I guess you win some and you lose some.

      Delete
  8. It bothers me a little when there is too big of a gap between reading the sequel because the excitement you previously felt dampens down a little. But I am glad that you were able to enjoy the mystery even though things ended up being a little too dramatic and the romance was a bit of a let down :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really hurts the whole enjoyment process. Thanks, Olivia!

      Delete
  9. Nothing worse than loving book one in a series and then having the second be underwhelming. Glad it wasn't all bad, but I agree that time jumps sometimes hinder the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I'm one of the few who haven't read the first one *ducks* But I agree that time gaps can truly dampen the excitement of a read. I may still check it out since you didn't seem to totally hate it lol
    Good review :)

    www.quiteanovelidea.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never heard of this series but it's pretty bad when there's too much of a gap between books. It's a good way to lose readers. Not only has it been too long to remember many plot points but after a while readers move on and lose interest. Even so, it still sounds like this was a pretty lukewarm follow-up. Blah.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete