Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro Book Review

The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar.

From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.

A Study in Charlotte is the first in a trilogy.
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
4 out of 5 stars

I had a lot of fun with this novel. It was like being in an alternate universe where Sherlock and Watson were a teenaged boy and a girl. It gave me all the Sherlock feels--the newer, more modern version anyway.

Charlottle Holmes
Charlotte was true to the Sherlockian style. She was snarky, and smart and inside of her own head. She had an odd sense of caring about anything or anyone--she didn't do it, yet she did in an odd way. She wasn't easy to understand but I really liked her. I liked how mysterious she was and how she seemed to know everything. It's everything I love about the BBC Sherlock.

Sherlock is not an easy character to love because he can come off as rude, and self centered. But I love him and I loved Charlotte for the same thing. She was a piece of work but she made this story. She wasn't concerned with looking pretty, or falling in love and though I might usually miss romance--the lack of it in this book didn't deter my enjoyment.

Charlotte won't be for everyone but if you're a Sherlock fan you're sure to like Charlotte.

James "Jamie" Watson

James was adorable and quirky and sort of clueless just like Watson. He wasn't Sherlock smart but he had his moments. He just meshed so well with Holmes. He was everything she wasn't and it worked for them.

(Can I be honest, I feel like I'm stretching this review.) I liked this book but I don't feel like I have a lot to say. There was no shortage of enjoyment but I think because I took so long to start and finish the book that I just lost something along the way.

So let's finish this before I bore you all to tears with my incessant rambling about nothing. 

This book was fun and well written. It was clever and surprising. There was no romance and I still loved it. The mystery was compelling because let me tell you I had no idea who was doing what. So, I was pleasantly surprised with the reveal. And, I am even more excited to be able to get more of these characters--because yes folks it's a trilogy. No cliffhanger included.

A great YA well ahead of it's time. 








25 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure about this one initially after seeing all the mixed reviews, but I'm very intrigued now, Jazmen and I think I'll pick it up. I love the BBC show and also the US show, Elementary. Truly, I just love anything to do with Sherlock Holmes. I hope I enjoy this one as much as you did!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. So glad to see another Sherlock fan! Hope you read and like this one!

      Delete
  2. I just got this from the library, so hopefully I will read it before it expires. So glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I've seen a few negative reviews around and it was making me quite wary about reading it. But now I MUST read it! I love Sherlock!

    Lauren @ My Expanding Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why some people would like it but I thought it was fun!

      Delete
  4. This really does sound like something I would love! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm practically the only person in the world who hasn't read/followed the world of Sherlock Holmes. Ugh. Anyway, it's great to see this was a great interpretation of series you adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Joy! You gotta get in Sherlock. I love it!

      Delete
  6. I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and I can't wait to read this book! It sounds absolutely amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! It sounds really great and I'm glad it was surprising! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually know nothing at all about Sherlock Holmes so I was kind of reluctant to read this book, but then again that cover is just SO BEAUTIFUL! But after your review, I might just give it a chance. It's always nice and RARE! to have a good book with no romance!

    http://novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it. I thought it was pretty fun!

      Delete
  9. I'm really excited about this book! I have never read the original Sherlock books or watched the BBC show but I adore the movies with Robert Downey Jr. and have always been really fascinated with Sherlock's personality and way of solving mysteries. I loved that in this, Charlotte is the person representing Sherlock. I'm glad you enjoyed it but I'm sorry it lost something in the middle since it was so long. Still, awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this today. I enjoyed it. I liked it as it went on though. The characters had to grow on me a bit. I am looking forward to more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I just thought they were so quirky and odd and fun!

      Delete
  11. When I first saw this one I was kind of meh. But then I saw a trailer for it at Epic Reads and now your review so I'm rethinking my original opinion. I love that Charlotte doesn't sound like a typical YA heroine. And doesn't it drive you crazy when you actually enjoyed a book but there just isn't a whole lot to say? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been a big Sherlock Holmes fan, but I feel like this might be the story to get me into it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read Sherlock nor have I watched the TV series but I'm really hoping to read this! This is, perhaps, one of the books I'm strongly looking forward to this year. So glad to know that you enjoyed it! Charlotte also sounds like a character I'll love. Great review, Jazmen! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  14. NO ROMANCE? Oh I don't know, I love me romance in books since it is generally what sort of drives me to keep reading, at least something slow burn. But maybe this IS slow burn, right? Later on? I'll keep my hopes up! But it's nice to know that the story is gripping enough without having to involve matters of the heart. That's not easily managed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY! I'm so glad you liked this one. We have the same rating :) I really enjoyed reading it and couldn't put it down. Especially as I already love all things Sherlock including the BBC one. It was so cool to have Sherlock portrayed as a girl and the plot was unpredictable and full of twists and turns!

    ReplyDelete