Friday, February 19, 2016

The Mistake by Elle Kennedy Book Review

25381533
BLURB
He's a player in more ways than one…

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hookups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he'll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he's worth a second chance.

Now he's going to need to up his game…

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She's not a charity case, and she's not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He'll have to work for it. This time around, she'll be the one in the driver's seat, and she plans on driving him wild.
 
REVIEW
3 OUT OF 5 STARS
The Mistake, what to say about The Mistake...

I didn't care for it. What worked for The Deal did nothing for The Mistake. The humor was flat, the romance was...meh, and the story itself was pretty--I hate to say it boring.

I just didn't care for these characters. Grace starts off as this sweet, cherub-faced, shy girl--who blabs and likes a guy she can't believe we even give her a second look.

Logan is sort of charming. He sleeps around like most of his teammates and he has no interest in a relationship--at least he hasn't. Until Grace of course.

Grace and Logan come together by chance encounter. They have fun--they enjoy each other--then Logan screws up. 

Some months go by and Grace is back--a little jaded, and far from the weak shy blabby girl she used to be. And, now Logan realizes how much he wants her--but she won't let him back that easily.

This is where the book lost me. It wasn't so much the winning her back--because that was cute. It was the change in Grace. Sure she was stronger. But in my honest opinion she was unnecessarily meaner. Sure what happened between them was humiliating but I just found some, SOME of her behavior unwarranted. I didn't find it endearing. Not at all.

Logan was better in the second half of the novel. He seemed to find himself and he was slightly more charming--once he put his player days aside. But it was just something about him that did nothing for me. Not like Garrett in The Deal. Even without comparing the two, I just, Logan was just okay to me.

This entire book was okay to me. I just have zero care to give for any of it. The characters, the story, their background--whatever. It felt like I was going through the motion--and that's the worst feeling to have.

I don't think I'm going to bother with The Score because I'm not sure it will be any better than this one. This might be one of those scenarios where the original is all you need.

7 comments:

  1. Aw shucks. I hate when a character takes a turn for the worse. I mean, good on her for having the spine, but that doesn't mean you turn into an a**hole. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read The Deal, since everyone thinks highly of it. Sorry this sequel wasn't up to par.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I felt the humor was much less than the first book. I too did not find it at par with The Deal

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I sometimes stay away from companion novels. They almost never live up their predecessors, like in this case for you. I think if I ever read this book, I would dislike Grace for thinking that being harsh is the definition of being stronger and more mature. Logan sounds alright though (bc I can't stop loving jerks LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man. I'm always gutted when I read one book and then the sequel kind of pales in comparison. It seems like an okay read but everything just didn't work out the same here. I'm probably going to skip over this one and maybe just read book one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that stinks. I thought it was pretty funny, and I enjoyed the change in Grace. Definitely looking forward to The Score.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe I'm sorry you didn't care for this one. :/ I hope your next read is much better.

    ReplyDelete