Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Skyscraping by Cordelia Jensen Book Review

23281788
BLURB
A heartrending, bold novel in verse about family, identity, and forgiveness

Mira is just beginning her senior year of high school when she discovers her father with his male lover. Her world–and everything she thought she knew about her family–is shattered instantly. Unable to comprehend the lies, betrayal, and secrets that–unbeknownst to Mira–have come to define and keep intact her family’s existence, Mira distances herself from her sister and closest friends as a means of coping. But her father’s sexual orientation isn’t all he's kept hidden. A shocking health scare brings to light his battle with HIV. As Mira struggles to make sense of the many fractures in her family's fabric and redefine her wavering sense of self, she must find a way to reconnect with her dad–while there is still time.
Told in raw, exposed free verse, Skyscraping reminds us that there is no one way to be a family.
 

REVIEW
4.5 out of 5 stars
This book hit me with an intensity I wasn't prepared for. Pulled in by the cover, I wasn't expecting to unfold a story that actually almost made me cry. To almost make me literally cry is no easy feat. I wasn't quite expecting this story to be so intense, so heartbreaking, so realistically sad.

To put it short this book in verse was more powerful than a book with all the lines filled in with all the words it could squeeze in.

I really rather enjoyed this. Mira is a senior in high school with a family that is shattering from the inside out, both literally and figuratively. Her father sleeps with men, the mom knows about it--and to top it off he's battling HIV given to him by his almost live-in male lover. It's more than Mira can handle. Heck, it's more than any average person can handle.

I was completely thrown by the entire story. How could this book dressed up as a song be so heartbreaking. Guys, I had a lump in my throat, okay. A lump. That's big. Because I honestly wanted to cry.

I honestly don't know what to say--it's not that it's mind-blowing or OMG, swoon, this boy, this girl. It's just that it's raw and perfectly timed even though it's set in the 90's. The story is poignant, and it moved me--and well a book hasn't been able to do that in a while.

Glorious, quick reading, perfect for any reader looking to feel something. 

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a really good book instead of just a meh one. This is on my wish list so hopefully i can get to it soon. Love emotional books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm so glad this one did not disappoint!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! It wasn't on my radar, but now I really want to read it. I love how it was able to make you tear up too because that just goes to show impactful the book was. I'll have to find myself a copy of this at the library!
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You must and I really hope you wind up loving it!

      Delete
  3. Wow this sounds great! I am so glad that you loved this one. It sounds so emotional. I need to read it sometime for sure! :) Fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great ass book! Adding this to my list now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really sounds like my occasional heartbreaking story read. But in verse? Glad you loved it though. Great review, Jazmen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for books that take you by surprise and sweep you away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a hit with this one! And it truly does sound emotional and impactful. I'm not usually a fan of verse format but I'm tempted to pick this one up anyway.

    Taya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! The hell of 3-star books is finally broken! Lol. I love free verse novels - I've not read one that didn't hit me where it hurts [thumps chest], come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds amazing. I'm so glad I decided to come and check out your blog today and discovered this book. Plus I really really love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading your review it looks like this book is quite interesting. As long as I have some free time, I'll find this book and read it. I hope it's worth of my team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief! Sorry you didn't love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's high praise. I don't know why but I just can't seem to like books written in verse. But maybe I should give it another try?? Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAS girl YAS! YOU HAVE FOUND A BOOK YOU CAN LOVE <3 I know, I know, that shouldn't make me as happy as it does, but well. It does xD I actually really judged this book by its cover. I don't know why but there is something about the girl's knees at that odd angle which put me off... >.> I know it is shallow of me! But knowing how much this one hit you, I think I am gonna have to give it a chance anyway!

    ReplyDelete