Thursday, February 11, 2016

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia Quick-ish Book Review

17661416
BLURB
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal. 

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.

REVIEW
FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS
Made You Up was mind screwy in the most ingenious way possible. I didn't quite know what to expect--but despite the fact that the MC was so unpredictable, it did nothing to deter from my enjoyment of the story. In fact, it enhanced it. I found myself wondering what was real and what wasn't, right along with our narrator. I definitely thought that aspect of it was well done. Nothing about it although unreliable seemed unrealistic. That was a hard thing to accomplish but the author did that, and then some.

I don't know what it was specifically that made this book so darn likable but I think it had a lot to do with the way the story was structured. The characters, the pacing--the everything. It was just a great book that read well. I still fdon't know what was real and what wasn't--and I still feel nothing but love and admiration for this story.

The characters were well fleshed out, the story and the pacing was well done. For a book about mental illness it was particularly easy to relate to. I think some of Alex's misconceptions about reality or not are some of the things everyday people feel concerned about--maybe just a little amped up. 

I can say a million things you've already heard but I won't. Just read this one if you haven't. You won't be disappointed. It will keep you guessing, and you won't want to put it down.

15 comments:

  1. Glad to see you enjoyed this!! I have it and hope to get to soon. I think it's great that it was relatable. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I was planning on reading this one last year, but I never got around to it. It has really good reviews, so maybe I’ll get to it this year.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a lot of elements I love in this genre, so glad this was such a great read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my favorite YA Mental Illness read last year. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds super interesting. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY loved this book when I read it. I found that the fact that she had schzophrenia and it not being the main plot but just something effected the main plot was so well done. Because yes, even though it is her life, it isn't everything about her and how she lives even though it does have an impact. It was cleverly done. And oh, it messes with your mind so much DD:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard nothing but good things about this book and I've had it in my TBR for a while now. I just need to squeeze it into my reading. The story sounds great and there's nothing more I like than well-fleshed out characters.
    I'm so glad you liked this one, Jazmen! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I want to read this one! I love the whole idea of a character pushing against her condition to live her life as normally (or made up) as she can. And the cover is amazing!
    Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the readers sometimes feel unhinged as well. Like we can't separate fact from fiction. This is one of my best 2015 reads. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I've seen this one around before, but never really been that intrigued by it. I like mind screwy books though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing I noticed was the cover...it is so beautiful! I love it. I think I should try this one. I am glad that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this one, glad you liked it too! Unreliable narrators…love them. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore unreliable narrators, so I really need to read this one. Glad you loved it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of the books on my must-read list. Glad to see you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So good to finally see a review of this one from someone I know. I feel like I see the cover everywhere but never see an actual review. I really like the sound of this one - and I know if it got 4 stars from you it has to be good. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete