Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Five Seven Five (The Boy With Words, #1) By C.E. Wilson Book Review

BLURB

White Frost has only known the darkness. 


Luckier than most, White’s cousin provides her with what seem to many as little more than scraps of paper, but they hold deep secrets. The papers he provides are cryptic collections that hint at a world beyond dusty hallways and candlelight. These words give White hope that she can be one of the great people in her colony. A Chosen One. A member of a group of the strongest people who are allowed to escape the darkness and venture out into the Unknown. At eighteen years old, White is too young to become a Chosen and decides to take her cousin's advice and wait patiently. But when a tragedy upends her life, White realizes that if she wants to truly understand what the mysterious words on paper mean, she’ll have to go beyond every boundary set by her society – including ones set by her own cousin. 
When White finally decides to seek the truth, what she finds is more astonishing than anything her cousin could have prepared her for. 
Blinding light. 
Colors beyond black and gray. 
A world where tears fall from the skies. 
And an incredible being who may or may not be the Creator of it all. 
Everything she’s ever wanted is right in front of her, but this information comes at a price White is not sure she can pay. She has always suspected that her hunger for knowledge is simultaneously her greatest strength and weakness, and now she must ask herself if the answers she sought are worth endangering not only her life, but the lives of everyone she’s ever known. 


REVIEW
3.5 OUT OF 5 STARS
For those of you who are new to this blog or don't remember, I've reviewed one other book by this author that kind of centered around the idea of the lives of little people, and no I'm not being callous and calling midgets, little people. I mean legit little people, inches tall small. 

I didn't quite expect to encounter the same "kind" of story. It wasn't the same exactly but it's definitely in the same vein and I initially couldn't figure out if this pleased me or disappointed me. 

The novel is labeled as dystopian and it is in the sense that there is this isolated, and controlled world in this story. The main character lives in a world where the skies don't exist, and collecting papers are the only way the MC can truly learn what the world is, and how it really looks. 

She is not allowed outside of her zone, but of course she ventures out and begins to question everything that's she' ever been taught.

It is through death, and new friendships, that our MC, White really truly grows. At least mentally. I didn't find that the story grew much as a whole (until the end) but like I say all the time when series are involved. I always find some things are left out so there's set up for additional books.

That's definitely the case for this novel. There's  some unanswered questions that I feel will be found out in book two.

By the end of the book, I was excited to see where the story would go. Intrigued by the possibilities.  I will say it looks like there will be some romance in book two that will be really intriguing.  Aside from that I thought the novel was pretty well done and all around decent reading. 





12 comments:

  1. Sounds decent, but not great. Thanks for the honest review! I hope if you read book two thay t you enjoy it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good. I'm intrigued to see where the story goes./Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Definitely sounds different from anything I have read. Glad it was a decent, solid read for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to see what your thoughts are of the next book. I'm so done jumping on every dystopian series that comes along, only to be disappointed. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I haven't read a book with little people, so kudos to you, and thanks for putting this author on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little over dystopian novels these days, but I'm curious about this one especially because it features little people. I haven't read that in any book before! I love that White grows mentally throughout and it sounds like there are some exciting things coming up in the sequel.
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! Dystopian can be exhausting because so much of it is already so over done!

      Delete
  6. Well this definitely sounds different. Not sure there's enough there to really draw me in but it's good to see that you enjoyed it enough to continue on with it.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete