Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Black History Month: Ten Of My Favorite "African American" Novels and Authors


1. Native Son by Richard Wright--This book starts off with a bang. Bigger Thomas is accused of raping and killing a white woman--and what happens there after was for sure a shocker. Set in the 1930's this book was a scary reality.

2. Midnight by Sister Souljah--Midnight is the story of a young islam male and his family. The story tells the struggle of his faith and the reality he's surrounded by. It was rich in culture and even at close to 500 pages it kept me intrigued.


3. Manchild in the Promised Land--This was a rite of passage for me. My mother read it and then I did. It's a realistic and startling coming of age tale that is deeply rooted in a scary truth. Great for young teens.


4. Pretty much anything by E.N. Joy--She writes drama like novels that focus on church and christian life. As a christian myself, it was nice to see novels that were rooted in church but weren't too religious. 


5. Breath, Eyes, Memory--I read this book for a college course and loved it. It's intense but so rich and vivid with haitian culture. It's not for the fainthearted but it's an amazing read.


6. True To The Game Teri Woods--Teri Woods was a staple in any urban neighborhood and otherwise. Her works are pretty heavy in drug dealing and drama but they were good for entertaining.


7. Pretty much anything by J. California Cooper. Her books made me laugh, cry, sigh. They're just all around great and I couldn't pick a single one to recommend. They're all good!


8. Anything by Langston Hughes but mainly his poetry. He uses words like negro, so they're pretty old lingo wise. But they powerful and give a strong sense of self.


9. JJ Murray--Her novels are what Sylvia Day, Cora Carmack or any other romance writer has written. The MC's tend to be female and black, and the men tend to be caucasian. She's heavy on the interracial romance but her books are spicy just like any other romance. 


10. Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self--I'm not a real short story fan but this is a great series of short stories that range in topic and are easy to read and relate to.





11 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fact that you did this post! I need to read more PoC books so this gives me a really good start! I may star with J. J. Murray since you compared her to Cormack! <3 I can't wait for that! And the other one, like the coming of age one sounds flawless as well!

    Thanks for sharing this with us girlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you get to read some of these. They're kind of a must!

      Delete
  2. Love this, thanks so much for sharing it and putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree tat this sharing is great! As for me I'm very interested in reading Native Son book. I think this is that one book that I'll feel through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I really want to read some Langston Hughes. I've heard great things about his writing. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! I'm familiar with a few of these, but some are new to me. I'm not really a fan of Sister Soulja's writing. There are so many great books written by African-American authors, but people refuse to read outside their comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all these! Definitely going to check some of these out. Also I have a recommendation :D Laurie Halse Anderson isn't an American American author but she's the author of some great inspiration middle grade and YA books. I think you'd really like Chains by her. It takes place in the time of slavery and I read it a while ago but lvoed the message. Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3002300-chains

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. Sad to say I haven't read any of these or the authors but there are a some tha definitely going on my TBR. Native Son sounds amazing and the JJ Murray novels are right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of these authors I'm not familiar with but there are a few names I know (or know of) like Langston Hughes and Sister Souljah. The title of that last book really caught my eye. Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self. I love it. I'm not a big fan of short stories either but with a title like that it's tempting...

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm feeling so much shame on myself because I actually haven't read or heard of ANY of these books before! I've bookmarked this page, and hopefully in time I can start to read my way through them. I need to read more books of this type :3

    ReplyDelete