Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Zero Day by Jan Gangsei Release Day Book Review


23197623
BLURB
Eight years ago, Addie Webster was the victim of the most notorious kidnapping case of the decade. Addie vanished—and her high-profile parents were forced to move on.

Mark Webster is now president of the United States, fighting to keep the oval office after a tumultuous first term. Then, the unthinkable happens: the president’s daughter resurfaces. Addie is brought back into her family’s fold, but who is this sixteen-year-old girl with a quiet, burning intelligence now living in the White House? There are those in the president’s political circle who find her timely return suspicious.

When the NSA approaches Darrow Fergusson, Addie’s childhood best friend and the son of the president’s chief of staff, he doesn't know what to think. How could this slip of a girl be a threat to national security? But at the risk of having his own secrets exposed by the powerful government agency, Darrow agrees to spy on Addie.
It soon becomes apparent that Addie is much more than the traumatized victim of a sick political fringe group. Addie has come with a mission. Will she choose to complete it? And what will happen if she does?
REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

A political thriller for fans of Scandal.

This novel is a tamer, teen aged version of Scandal. It's filled with intrigue, mystery and lies but to be honest it wasn't as exciting as I anticipated. To make a long story short, Addie--the now president's daughter was kidnapped 8 years prior and now she's back--out of nowhere and it has everyone on their toes. Well, just about everyone. She's up to something and her return is causing more of a hiccup than they anticipated. Her return befuddles NSA, and the FBI--it sweeps her former best friend, Dawson into the mix and mixes up life. She's not acting right even for a girl that's been missing from her family for 8 years. 

 Addie was an interesting character. I didn't like or dislike her but she interested me. A lot of her emotions seemed a little lacking in depth. I didn't quite believe her--maybe I just didn't get her. She was kind of all over the place, and even when I found out what's going on--I felt nothing for her. I think I was going through the motions.

Dawson--whom could have been an amazing book boyfriend wasn't due to lack of presence. It was like he was there but he wasn't. The whole thing was kind of--it felt like I just barely scratched the surface of this story--and if this is not going to be a series--a lot is left to be desired. 

 All in all the pacing was done right, and the writing was perfectly readable but for something that touts itself as a political thriller I was left feeling a little underwhelmed.

 I'd recommend it to readers that like their thrillers ranging from tame-brave, not a lot of romance required--and characters that make you question their motives.

18 comments:

  1. I'm definitely Pro Scandal, so a YA Scandal-ish would have to be on point for me to read it. Hmmm, not sure about this one yet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this didn't quite live up to your expectations but I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were a bit underwhelmed. I think I'll pass on this one since its political. Lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a synopsis. It sounds absolutely riveting. Unfortunately it also sounds like the characters weren't developed and that led to a pretty underwhelming connection. This could have been so much more... sorry it missed the mark for you, Jazmen.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely could have been but eh. They should make this a series and expound on it!

      Delete
  5. You had me at Scandal but as I was reading your review my excitement for this book fizzed out ever so slowly. This seems like the type of book that may have need a second part. I mean what is a book without well developed characters? That seems like it's the main issue of Zero Day.

    Such a shame since the synopsis is so damn intriguing. As they say on to the next one.

    As always great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem like me Jaz in that WE LOVE our book boos! I'm not going to settle for my book boo being barely present in the book. :( And the main protagonist? Don't even let me get started on that. I HAVE to be able tow connect with the main character and in this one, it does' seem like you did so I highly doubt that I'm going to have any better luck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, sorry this one wasn't one you liked more. Again, one that sounds really interesting but is lacking. I hate it when the characters of the books seem to be missing something. I'm never sure what it is but there's a certain aspect of really great characters that make them really great. Sorry you didn't like this more - hopefully the next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New look right?? I like it! Anyway Scandal YA style sounds so good. Too bad it wasn't pulled off better. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace it is new--and thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  9. Oh boo. I so want to read this! But I'm bummed you didn't like it as much. Still infinitely curious about this book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, you'll wind up enjoying it far more than I did!

      Delete
  10. I have been seeing this one around quite a bit lately which is funny because it hasn't been on my radar until now! I love my politics when they are done well! It's just a shame you weren't as thrilled by this one as you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll like this one since you're into Politics. It was just okay for me.

      Delete
  11. I like Scandal and wanted to read this one, but got denied on Netgalley. I'll still pick it up though. Great review!

    Ang @The Gilded Pages

    ReplyDelete