Wednesday, January 6, 2016

This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin Book Review

BLURB

Ramona fell for Sam the moment she met him. It was like she had known him forever. He's one of the few constants in her life, and their friendship is just too important to risk for a kiss. Though she really wants to kiss him...


Sam loves Ramona, but he would never expect her to feel the same way-she's too quirky and cool for someone like him. Still, they complement each other perfectly, both as best friends and as a band.


Then they meet Tom. Tom makes music too, and he's the band's missing piece. The three quickly become inseparable. Except Ramona's falling in love with Tom. But she hasn't fallen out of love with Sam either. How can she be true to her feelings without breaking up the band?
REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
TWO AND A HALF STARS OUT OF FIVE

Well, what to say about this book. Give me a minute here.

Okay, I still kind of don't know how to talk about this but I'm going to give it a shot. The book is called This Song is Not For You it should have been called This Book is Not For You--as in me. 

I don't get this book, it was like being dropped in the middle of a story only understood by the people telling it. It's like an inside joke nobody understands but them. It was just odd and not the way I wanted to start my book reading new year. 

The characters are interesting but they're so darn odd. I just didn't quite get them--or should I say appreciate them. I liked the overall feeling of romance and music but it was never quite expounded on--and it left me feeling disconnected from an already weird story.

The characters: Ramona secretly loves Sam. Sam loves Ramona. They're also in a band. That should have made for the cutest story--but sadly it wasn't. Ramona is supposed to be like this cool, don't really care--drummer chick. And she is but she's not that exciting at least she wasn't to me. 

Then there's Sam who could have been super adorable but I didn't learn enough about him to fully appreciate him.

Then there's Tom who Ramona also falls in love--woo-hoo an awkward love triangle. Just what I wanted. Tom is a strange young boy. He loves to put glitter where it isn't wanted and he leads an odd life. He's into no one and not at the same time. He's asexual which was a really different and interesting take. Not one I really understand but hey it's different--so there's that. 

I just don't have much to say because I didn't really like this story. It was strange and the plot was pretty boring. Maybe if it was longer and more emotionally involved I might have enjoyed it more.

Guys, I just didn't care for this one and I don't know what else to say about it. This Song Is (Not) For You is a book that's not for me.

11 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around, but haven't had the urge to add it to my TBR or anything. I've seen more 2 and 3 stars, than 4 and 5, for this book. Sorry this wasn't what you expected. I hope your next read is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly wouldn't bother. But, if you do read it I hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. This one sounds a little strange, even from the summary. I feel like I definitely would have been frustrated and probably wouldn't have liked it, either. At least you gave it a shot!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Sounds like a total dud. The synopsis doesn't look half-bad but it sounds like the execution bombed. You're so due for a 5 star read.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure this one would be for me either. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally had me laughing at " it should have been called This Book is Not For You" ! I don't think it is for me either. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds pretty good, but I haven't seen many good reviews for it. Sounds like the summary is better than the reality. Sorry it wasn't for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah well. that's a shame. i hate books like that. i don't think it'll be for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the feeling from the synopsis and your review that it wouldn't work for me either!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings Enter my 2nd Annual Blogoversary Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your review, I can understand you finding the plot odd. It really does look boring. Also, insta love does not work for me all the time. So, I don't think this book will work for me either. And, again I wish you find some AWESOME BOOK to read :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I don't think this one would work for me either. The whole band thing, and love triangle but not really... nope. Can't do it. I DO like that there was an asexual character, but did he have to be thrown in the love triangle? Yikes, sorry this didn't work out for you, but thanks for the great review- now I know to pass on it for sure!

    ReplyDelete