Thursday, January 7, 2016

Shade Me by Jennifer Brown ARC Book Review

25579630
BLURB
Nikki Kill does not see the world like everyone else. In her eyes, happiness is pink, sadness is a mixture of brown and green, and lies are gray. Thanks to a rare phenomenon called synesthesia, Nikki’s senses overlap, in a way that both comforts and overwhelms her.


Always an outsider, just one ‘D’ shy of flunking out, Nikki’s life is on the fast track to nowhere until the night a mysterious call lights her phone up bright orange—the color of emergencies. It’s the local hospital. They need Nikki to identify a Jane Doe who is barely hanging on to life after a horrible attack.

The victim is Peyton Hollis, a popular girl from Nikki’s school who Nikki hardly knows. One thing is clear: Someone wants Peyton dead. But why? And why was Nikki’s cell the only number in Peyton’s phone?


As she tries to decipher the strange kaleidoscope of clues, Nikki finds herself thrust into the dark, glittering world of the ultra-rich Hollis family, and drawn towards Peyton’s handsome, never-do-well older brother Dru. While Nikki’s colors seem to help her unravel the puzzle, what she can’t see is that she may be falling into a trap. The only truth she can be sure of is that death is a deep, pulsing crimson.

REVIEW

*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*sigh* If I read one more book that just doesn't do it for me I think I'm going to scream. This book is not terrible by any means but it was just so, okay. I wanted more than okay. I needed more than okay. 

*sigh* Here we go. Shade Me was a story about a teen girl that sees life in colors, happiness, sadness, anger--all in color.

Cool, right? Right? 
No. Okay, cool, but not as exciting, or intriguing as I thought it would be. 

Nikki Kill is the definition of a slacker. Life is hard, and school is even harder with synesthesia. She can't focus, and she can't think so it's made school that much more difficult. But to be honest I think she just didn't care, and wasn't even trying. But hey she's fictional, right?

Then there's the Hollis' whom I found to be the kind of people I expected. I can't say what I think without spoiling but the big revelation wasn't all that mind-blowing. I think it was kind of to be expected--but I will give it to the author her pacing was pretty spot-on. 

Nikki is a loner--so no besties to speak of. But the male characters were pretty likable even if you didn't know if you could trust them. 

I loved Detective Martinez, and now realizing this is a series of sorts--I read more just to find out what happens with Detective Martinez. Something about him rubbed me the right way. 

I won't go on and on because I don't have much to say here. Shade Me was a decent book, that was well-written but fell flat where it mattered.

I'd recommend this to readers that don't need much on the romance (there is a relationship of sorts but it's far from romantic) end--and likes their mysteries well paced.

20 comments:

  1. Yeah, this was a hard one for me to rate. 3.5 stars is the best I could do. Confusing as all hell and Nikki sort of got on my nerves. It's an okay read, but I don't think I will be reading the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I liked Nikki but she was like the worst slacker ever. I get it the colors mess with your vision but give it a break already!

      Delete
  2. Jeez, you've had a spate of mediocre books lately. You are so (over)due for a winner. It's a shame this one fell flat because the synopsis makes it seem like it has so much going for it. Very unique concept.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm not doing too well with the book picking lately!

      Delete
  3. Sorry this wasn't quite the read for you, it was rather different and hard at times to like the MC and her choices. I really hope your next read is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, sorry it was just ok. I wouldn't expect that from the awesome summary. It sounds so fantastic. I hope your next read is kick ass!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have not been able to find any good books lately. Are you sure that the books you are picking are not good or did you read something so good some time back that you are still hanging on to it? It happens with me when I read something fantastic and every book that I pick up after that appears mediocre. Any ways I hope you soon come across some amazing books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything really good in some time. I think the books are just meh. I'm hoping my next read is great!

      Delete
  6. Sorry this wasn't better for you! I really hope you get a real winner soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might give this one a try, I could do just fine with little romance and more mystery!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been having a similar problem lately. The books I read aren't necessarily bad but they aren't good and I really want to be able to pick up a book and just not put it down again. It's disappointing this one wasn't good. After reading the premise, I was really interested. Oh well. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's like books just don't get it these days. Where are the great reads?!

      Delete
  9. It seems you really need a book you can just undeniably love to come up next on your reading list! I have this one and I am pretty curious about it because I have a best friend who has synesthesia. I am just surprised that there wasn't as much excitement in this one as you anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do and I'm hoping to find one soon! I didn't know synesthesia was a real thing. Never bothered to look it up because I didn't care enough. But that's really interesting. Must be a crazy life to live!

      Delete