Thursday, January 14, 2016

Number Thirteen by Bella Jewel Book Review--The Beauty and Her Beast


This isn't a dark romance, nor is it a light fluffy one. It's broken, and captivating, and a story of two people putting themselves back together. It's a story of a broken man who found his way to heal with Thirteen Girls. It does not have a cliffhanger. 

We're thirteen girls, captive to a man we rarely see. 
Obedience will become all we know. It is the only emotion we're permitted to feel. 
When we're bad, we're punished. When we're good, we're rewarded. Our scars run deep. Yet we survive, because we have to, because HE teaches us too. 
All of us are special, we feel it with everything we are. 
He has us for a reason, but it's a reason we don't know. 
We've haven't seen his face, but we know that something deeply broken lies beneath the darkness. With every touch, with every punishment, we know it. 
Then came the day he saved my life, and I saw him for the first time. He released something inside of me. 
He showed me who he truly is. 
Now I want him. 
I'll go against Everything I know to be with him. 
A monster. 
My monster. 
Loving him is a sin, but a sinner I am. 
I won't stop until I see every part of him. 
Even the parts he keeps locked deep down inside. 
I am Number Thirteen, and this is my story. 


REVIEW
*THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS*
Let me start off by saying this book is not for most people, and by most I mean probably all. This book is kind of out there with it's plot, and it's characters. It's frustrating and mostly unrealistic but I still enjoyed it. I'm weird like that. *shrugs*

I must be a special kind of person because I find the whole stockholm syndrome thing fascinating. Is it rational? Absolutely not but it is what is. 

I both liked and disliked this story. I disliked it because what kind of freak falls for her captor? ( I sound crazy, don't I?) But, I also liked it because despite the dark there was a bit of light. The characters were able to find love--whether it be romantic or not. 

The entire thing is kind of coo coo for cocoa puffs but it's an interesting fictional story. I think one has to remember that this is fiction. I think it's easy to blur the lines and say this story isn't realistic--but that's okay because they it doesn't need to be.

If it got any more real I'd be cowering in the corner calling for my Mother. 

The beast: William. Master. Will. He's something to wrap your head around. On the one hand--his story is tragic, and I get what he's trying to do. But it's crazy pants and to be frank I didn't quite understand even if I did find it entertaining.

This review sounds crazier by the minute but I had a sort of love hate relationship with this book.

Back to Will--he was commandeering and at the same time gentle. He was pretty bipolar in his actions and my first impressions of him were very beast from beauty and the beast. All this I'm an ugly creature, I'm going to hide in the shadows nonsense he was doing.


But when he came out--it was kind of--cute. I mean the story is just odd. To think that he felt like in order to fix the inherent wrongness in people--was to lock them and deprive them of their humanness, is something in itself. I don't know...

The girls were pretty hum drum--and of course there was the one girl that refused to cower--and fought him at ever turn.

Yeah yeah yeah. She's tough--she saves. She's wonderwoman.

I mean I liked the story because of it's readability and the taboo stockholm syndrome thing it had going on but the more I think about the more wrong it seems...

This book is making me question my sanity--so I think I'll go now. :P

Read it or don't--just prepare for some eye-rolling, some eye squinting, and quite possibly some enjoyment.

29 comments:

  1. Stockholm Syndrome? Okay, I may need to stay away from this one then. I don't even like reading about real life stories with this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I am intrigued. I like dark stories and cases with Stockholm Syndrome tend to keep my interest.. However I'll keep in mind that there will be some eye-rolling!

    Aeriko @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  3. the stockholm syndrome caught my attention.. but as you said, it might not be everyone's cup of tea.. and judging by your words, it might not actually be for me. Great review, Jazmen :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this sounds interesting. Maybe I'm weird too because I think Stockholm Syndrome is fascinating and I'm adding this to my to read list Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely sounds interesting but little too crazy pants for me!! Gad you did enjoy it though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if this would be one for me or not if it was so frustrating but I'm glad you were still able to like it despite all its faults.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's that kind of story. Not gonna lie, you've got me curious. Have you read Stolen by Lucy Christopher?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the cover of this novel! I am not sure how I feel about the Stockholm syndrome aspect and the the unrealistic aspects of it, but as you said sometimes there are books we just like and there isn't a particular reason for it, even if it is different from your usual kind. But that's also just fine because we like it nonetheless :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have an issue with it and I don't blame them, ya know? It's something to take in.

      Delete
  9. Heaven help me, but I'm intrigued. I find the captive thing interesting (in fiction, obvs) and the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing as well. This one sounds way dark and out there but I can't help but want to experience it for myself. Thanks for sharing the crazy. ;)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this one and it seems so middle of the road that I don't really think I will make time for it
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my Ultimate Scavenger Hunt Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nothing to go crazy over but it was intriguing!

      Delete
  11. Nice gif usage! I must say, your first line is very correct - this probably isn't something for me! I have a hard time with the "tough issue" types of books. Three stars isn't bad but isn't amazing! I'm glad you didn't hate this one though. Lovely review! :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol - I'm weird like that too. I enjoy this type of book when it's done right. Sometimes they're just plain aggravating. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. It definitely sounds quite interesting. I'm not sure if it's a bit too dark for me too. I struggle with books like this, especially with Stockholm Syndrome. Though I'm not going to lie... it sounds REALLY good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This definitely sounds like a weird read but I can like weird too. This might be right up my alley despite the three star rating

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might really like this one! Check it out and let me know what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read books similar to this and I have to say while I enjoy dark themes in romance some of these Stockholm syndrome type romances can be executed terribly. I guess that counts for all books though, doesn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete