Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Level Up (Fandom Hearts, #1) by Cathy Yardley Book Review

28451927
BLURB
Geeky introvert Tessa Rodriguez will do whatever it takes to get promoted to video game engineer– including create a fandom-based video game in just three weeks. The only problem is, she can't do it alone. Now, she needs to strong-arm, cajole, and otherwise socialize with her video game coworkers, especially her roommate, Adam, who’s always been strictly business with her. The more they work together, though, the closer they get… 

Adam London has always thought of his roomie Tessa as “one of the guys” until he agreed to help her with this crazy project. Now, he’s thinking of her all the time… and certainly as something more than just a roommate! But his last girlfriend broke up with him to follow her ambitions, and he knows that Tessa is obsessed with getting ahead in the video game world. 

Going from friends to something more is one hell of a challenge. Can Tessa and Adam level up their relationship to love?


REVIEW--of sorts
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*Thanks Olivia for sharing your review of this book*
Likes:
The Fandom, Geekdom: I am all for the geeks and the nerds. I think they're the coolest people. I like to think I'm somewhat of a nerd. Anyhow, this book definitely has that going for it. There's gamers, fans of sherlock and whovians galore. I mean come on, I love Sherlock.

The world of gaming: I enjoy video games but I'm far from a gamer. But, I always enjoy reading about gamers and the world of gaming because the characters always tend to be quirky and fun and Tess and Adam weren't in short of being interesting characters.


Tess: Cheers to the Latina coder/audio girl. I'll say it forever--I'm all for color in novels. So I really dug that not only was Tess Latina--but she wasn't painted in a negative light as a hispanic woman. She was portrayed as a determined, fiery--kick a** gaming woman and I was all for it!

Adam: He managed to be hot and awkward all at the same time and I dug that. Because of the lack of romantic growth I feel like I didn't get to see him at his full potential.

Dislikes: 
Speedy romance: The romance portion wasn't insta-love but it progressed at a faster rate then I cared for. I definitely would have liked more of a slow burn. I AM ALL for the slow burn.

Choppy chapters: The chapters ended abruptly and didn't flow easily from one to the next. It was disjointed and I found it kind of distracting.

I don't have too many complaints--just that I would have liked the story to have been longer--the characters, and the romance could have benefited from it. But, all in all I was left feeling pretty satisfied if not in love--and I guess that's okay in my world.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds kind of cute, but not for me. Sorry you didn't like it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've kind of been sucking at picking books lately.

      Delete
  2. Sounds cute enough but the choppy chapters would totally bother me. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet sweetie! I think it's Olivia that you mean. But.....I really really want to read this book. I love that freaking cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops I swore I seen it on your blog. But yeah, hope you read it and enjoy!

      Delete
  4. That cover is seriously adorable! I think this would be a fun read despite some of the flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you read this one so quickly! I'm impressed. I'm sorry that you couldn't head over heels love it, but it sounds like there were aspects of it that you really could enjoy despite you finding the romance a little too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't play video games (the whole gaming concept is pretty foreign to me, so that aspect would be lost on me) but this one does look awfully cute. Too bad the romance didn't move at a slightly slower pace - seems that would have given a chance to connect more with both characters and get to know them more. And the choppy chapters - unfortunate. I think I would have been yanked out of the story each time.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds great and I just love the cover - it is super cute! I would like to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. gurrrrl you've been getting so much 3-star-reads lately. i feel for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold the hell up girl, this book is right up my alley! First of all, I love the fact that she's Latina anddddd a coder! Not to forget that the story is about gamers and girl look at that cover it's so cute. GIRLLLLLLL I want thissssssss huhuhuh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun, quick read and I'm loving the diversity! ;)

    ReplyDelete