Thursday, January 21, 2016

Identity Crisis by Melissa Schorr ARC Book Review

25877205
BLURB
When curvaceous Annalise Bradley’s scandalous freshman year hookup sparks the anger of her female classmates, three of them decide to get her back by "catfishing" her, creating a fake online profile of the perfect boy to toy with her affections.

Against her better nature, introverted Noelle Spiers, goes along with her friends’ plan, hoping to distract Annalise from dreamy Cooper Franklin, her lifelong crush who has fallen for Annalise instead.
As Annalise discovers she is being played and seeks revenge, Noelle increasingly regrets her role in the cruel hoax and tries to salvage their relationship.

Told in alternative perspectives, IDENTITY CRISIS covers romance, betrayal, and timeless friendship in the age of modern technology. 

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
*THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS*
Identity Crisis--Not so much an identity crisis. Not in my opinion. It's more of a story of growth and understanding--it's one of those learn a lesson novels.

While I quite enjoyed the fact that our MC was a curvalicious chica--her curves and her attitude towards them although understandable could have been handled by the character differently. I mean I can't imagine being the only "noticeably" curvy girl and having every member of the males species staring at your boobs. That has to be extremely uncomfortable but there was a total displeasure coming from the character. I get that it's realistic but I would have loved to see her embrace it a little bit more. I'm not holding it against the author but I would have liked that.

The romance: Or lack there of--the romantic portion of this novel was pretty meh. I liked the guy but Annalise's treatment of him again understandable rubbed me the wrong way a bit. I mean for the love of Pete she didn't have to be so cold towards the poor guy.

The friendships were pretty typical high school mostly catty and sort of friendly. 

The enemies--typical jealous, gorgeous group of girls--with the one friend who isn't nearly as mean.

The plot: I'm all for revenge plots. I'm weird. So, what? But this didn't feel very revenge-y. It was more like here's these group of girls who are supposedly helping their friend but not really because it's all about getting revenge for themselves--and not really their friend. I mean-eh. 

As it goes on, it kind of never gets really exciting. Everything is found out and it's all gumdrops and rainbows from there--sort of. I mean there's conflict there wouldn't be a novel without it. The ending is resolute and that's good because it probably didn't need to end any other way. 

All in all, I'm okay with this novel--not blown away not in love--but I'm good with it. It's more for people that don't need their novels to be strongly any one thing--but a novel that's readable and mildly enjoyable.

7 comments:

  1. Not another 3 star read, nooo....! I swear if a genie appeared to me now I'd use one of wishes for you to have a spectacular, unforgettable book in January. OMG, you're overdue. Sounds like this one was totally middle-of-the-road. Meh.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tanya, I hope you have a five star read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are killing me with these 3 stars chica! I get it, because not every book will be awesome. I'm not really jumping to get my hands on this one. I've seen it around and it looks interesting enough that I put it on my to-read list on GR. I'll put it on the back burner for now, at least. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I hate meh books. They are even worse than horrible one stars, in my opinion. These girls though... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally dig revenge plots too so you are so not weird. But man you need to find a book to blow you away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...sounds a little too lackluster for me. I'll have to pass on this one. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking into this one lately because it sounds like a light hearted fun read. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for when I've read too many thick and heavy novels and need a bit of a break from it!

    ReplyDelete