Monday, January 18, 2016

City of Halves by Lucy Inglis Book Review--The Mortal Instruments That Couldn't

24891819
BLURB
Ancient myth collides with modern technology in this gripping urban fantasy.

London. Present day. Girls are disappearing. And strange things are roaming the streets.

When sixteen-year-old Lily is attacked by a two-headed dog, she's saved by hot, tattooed, and not-quite-human Regan. As Guardian of the Gates, it's his job to protect both halves of the City--new and old--from restless creatures that threaten its very existence. But an influx of these mythological beasts has Regan worried that something terrible--and immense--is about to happen.

The missing girls may have something to do with the monsters wandering around London, but what do they have in common? Can Lily and Regan find the girls and discover the truth in time to save London from being torn apart?
 

REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
This was the Mortal Instruments before it became Mortal Instruments. It's a tame version of the beloved series. I definitely noticed the similarities right away. I wasn't too much of a fan of The Mortal Instruments series initially--but after the movie believe it or not it grew on me. This sort of felt like that--except in reverse. I started off really intrigued, enjoying what I thought the characters would become. But it felt like they never grew, they never progressed--never reached their full potential.

That was my biggest issue with this novel. It just felt like these characters could have been more than they were--and it was a little disheartening. Regan was like Jace but a tamer version--not as quick witted, not as sharp.

Lily was Lily. She wasn't particularly special in any real way. I mean I liked that she was a hacker. I liked her relationship with her father. It had typical problems but they loved each other and I liked that. I have a certain special place in my heart for father daughter relationships.

There were supporting characters but they were very in the background--and to be frank, I don't have much to say about them because there isn't much to say. They were there, they served their purpose. Done and done.

*le sigh* The book was cool, the romance was tame, and the characters were odd balls. A decent read for what it was.

I have come to the conclusion that I no longer know how to pick books I will enjoy. *heavier sigh*

23 comments:

  1. Sorry this one wasn't better!!! You are so due for a great book soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading the summary I could see the similarities between this and Mortal Instruments. Sorry this one didn't live up to the expectations. Don't you hate it when a book does that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, it's like stand on your own or don't compare the two. Ugh!

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm still curious regardless of how this book pretended to be what it couldn't. You know I'm a huge fan of TMI, so really want to try this one out, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe this one will give you a little bit of what you liked about TMI although I don't think they're all that comparable--not the characters anyway.

      Delete
  4. TMI is one of my favorite series, but I don't want to read an imitation. Just no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, this book sounds interesting, but if it's pretty much TMI, I'm going to have to skip it. Thanks for the review!

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry this one wasn't better for you. I think I'll pass on this series and just re-read the mortal instruments at some point instead lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cover for this! Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I loved the cover, the book was just meh. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. aw, lol ... Just let us pick your books from now on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I read books with similarities to other popular books, I end up squinting my eyes and raising one eye brow. Don't like them, I want unique or different, something that will make me remember it exclusively. Don't think this is the type of read that would give me that. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will. Thanks for your comment, Melissa!

      Delete
  10. I really do recall one time when all the books I seemed to be reading were max three stars or under, and that really got me down :( Because it seems like nothing was really blowing me away. You'll find a book which is perfect for you in enough time! Don't worry about it. Secondary characters are really a big deal for me, so I would like them to be present!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is quite similar to TMI, no? And if it was a let down, then I guess I probably won't read it. Cool review and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Cloe @ Mornings and Epilogues

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, I don't know about this one. You know I don't really have an interest of reading the TMI series, mostly because it's so many damn books lol. I'll definitely have to pass on this. The cover is kinda cool though lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh whaaat this sounds like a published fanfic of TMI... >.>
    I really hope you find a better book soon! :/

    ReplyDelete