Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Burying Water (Burying Water, #1) by K.A.Tucker Book Review

18687114
BLURB
Left for dead in the fields of rural Oregon, a young woman defies all odds and survives—but she awakens with no idea who she is, or what happened to her. Refusing to answer to “Jane Doe” for another day, the woman renames herself “Water” for the tiny, hidden marking on her body—the only clue to her past. Taken in by old Ginny Fitzgerald, a crotchety but kind lady living on a nearby horse farm, Water slowly begins building a new life. But as she attempts to piece together the fleeting slivers of her memory, more questions emerge: Who is the next-door neighbor, quietly toiling under the hood of his Barracuda? Why won’t Ginny let him step foot on her property? And why does Water feel she recognizes him?

Twenty-four-year-old Jesse Welles doesn’t know how long it will be before Water gets her memory back. For her sake, Jesse hopes the answer is never. He knows that she’ll stay so much safer—and happier—that way. And that’s why, as hard as it is, he needs to keep his distance. Because getting too close could flood her with realities better left buried.

The trouble is, water always seems to find its way to the surface.

REVIEW
THREE AND A HALF OUT OF FIVE STARS
Heavy laden with emotion, Burying Water is a gripping, emotionally charged tale. These characters weren't made to make you happy. To keep it brief, two people fall in love at the most inopportune time ever. They're love is forbidden and it can possibly mean death or life for one of them.

To be honest, as much as this book evoked, "feels" I didn't quite reach that feeling of love--and I wanted to love it. I really did. I just didn't feel strongly enough for the characters, even though their story is a heartbreaking one it just didn't quite do it.

I can't really say I was looking for something with this book but I wanted to connect with it more, and for whatever reason I didn't. But that's not to say that it wasn't well-written and enjoyable because it was. It was a love story heavily grounded in reality with the kind of emotional pull I look for in my contemporary romances. The characters were very three dimensional and I could truly grasp their feelings and emotions. Jesse was very closed off but brave and wise. Ginny was a sassy old-coot but I adored her. I am all for strong female characters both old and young.

Water is a force to be reckoned with in the most mellow way possible. She's strong but has natural human weaknesses but I liked how resilient she was. All in all the foundation of this novel was solid, the characters, the mystery and the romance all very solid, well done. I think it's just one of those cases where everyone loves it, and I'm the odd ball out. It happens. I wasn't disappointed by any means I just wasn't in the same boat as every one else.

Highly recommended for Amy Harmon, Katja Millay, and Colleen Hoover fans!

20 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't quite deliver like you wanted it to in the emotion department but I'm glad it was still a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was hoping this would be the book to really get you out of the MEH. I have this but still didn't get to it yet - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted it too, but at least I enjoyed it, right?!

      Delete
  3. I've read all of Tucker's Ten Tiny Breaths series but have not started this one yet. Sorry that you didn't connect with it more. It's hard to truly love the book/story when you don't have a strong connection with the characters.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Ten Tiny Breaths would be a better one for me!

      Delete
  4. Sorry this one wasn't as good as you wanted. It sounds pretty good and I love books that give me the feels! I hope your next read is even better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack. When I first saw the title of your post, I was wishing wishing wishing you'd have liked it more. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I wanted to love it more. I really did.

      Delete
  6. Aw shucks, sorry you didn't like this as much. I wish you did though, lol! Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored Ginny too. I have such a soft spot for characters like her. As much as I love this series, this was my least favorite out of the four.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about trying out this one but it kind of seem that I can never really be sure.. Sucks that this book just didn't connect with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll really love his one, give it a try!

      Delete
  10. I want all of KAT's books! I absolutely love He Will Be My Ruin, and I have read great things about this series and her other one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing she's amazing which is why I tried it but that one just didn't grab me the way I hoped!

      Delete
  11. I had the same reaction to Burying Water as you did! I really wanted to love it, but I found it really hard to connect with the characters, and so, even with some feels, I never got to the point where I absolutely had to know what would happen to them next.
    Great review :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen K.A. Tucker love everywhere but I'm still unsure about picking them up. Maybe if I do, I'll start with her Ten Tiny Breaths series. :D

    ReplyDelete