Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Twinmaker by Sean Williams Book Review

17296692
BLURB
High-stakes action combines with issues of friendship and body image in this timely and thought-provoking exploration of the intersection of technology and identity.

You can be Improved....

In a near-future world in which technology can transport you anywhere instantly, can a coded note enable you to change your body—to become taller, stronger, more beautiful? Clair is pretty sure the offer is too good to be true. But her best friend, Libby, is determined to give it a try, longing for a new, improved version of herself.

What starts as Libby’s dream turns into Clair’s nightmare when Libby falls foul of a deadly trap. With the help of Jesse, the school freak, and a mysterious—but powerful—stranger called Q, Clair’s attempt to protect Libby leads her to an unimagined world of conspiracies and cover-ups. Soon her own life is at risk, and Clair is chased across the world in a desperate race against time.

Action and danger fuel Sean Williams’ tale of technology, identity, and the lengths to which one girl will go to save her best friend.
REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
Fast-paced, heart-pounding action from page one. Williams literally wastes no time at all thrusting the reader into a world we all fear--a world in which technology has become king. In this world you can be anywhere you want in minutes, things can be remade at the drop of a hat. You can be whoever you want, look however you want--all by stepping into a machine and stepping back out. You can be improved. It's all very Jeffersons-esque--but of course a life like this one comes with a cost. Improvement comes with a cost--and Clair's friend Libby is paying it.

In this story Clair is the one that is dead set on being both a leader and a follower. She wants what every teen girl wants, happiness, and a boy she can't have. Lol. That might not be true but it is for her. Clair's friend Libby wants to join this elite group of popular kids and she attempts to do so by throwing a super exclusive party. They have the party, are instantly popular--but Libby is still unhappy. She wants to look better--so she attempts to improve.

Improvement isn't all its cracked up to be and it changes Libby. Libby is different but she's beautiful. Clair thinks these changes are not for the better but for the worse and she enlists the help of the school freak/outcast Jesse. This team up changes Clair's outlook on life, and her literal life. Her attempts to help Libby brings her world into a tailspin.

It's all very exciting, and fast paced but I had a problem with it all. This novel was heavy laden with information. I mean heavy. For a large part of the book ( I mean what do you expect at almost 500 pages) there is a lot of info dumping--which can be essential in a book of this type and this length. But for me it all felt a little overwhelming. I'm happy the author took the time to develop a world and explain it at length. But I could done with a little less of it. I wanted more time getting to know the characters, and less of their world. I know this sounds crazy but once you've read the book you'll understand.

I think spending some much time with the actual world left me wanting more from the characters which deviated from my enjoyment. I mean it's a great world--very intriguing and very scary but very information heavy and at times hard to wrap your head around.

The characters themselves are interesting but I feel like I needed more to fully connect with them. I didn't dislike them but I didn't feel enough for them and I think that's due to too much information and not enough time spent on the characters themselves.

I'm saying all of this but I'm not saying that this was a really good book, great world building, interesting characters, and an even more intriguing world. It's definitely realistic in that something like this can actually happen--so there's that. I just wanted more of an emotional connection which was lacking.

It's a great read for people who love a lot action, don't need romance, and don't care about connecting--great for thrill seekers.

12 comments:

  1. Boo for the info dumping especially because the mystery sounds so good otherwise. Wonderful honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sci-Fi novels tend to be packed full of info, to be honest. It's probably why I stay away. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book around, and I've been debating whether to read it or not. I like my stories with more emotional building, so I'm still hesitant on reading this. Great review!
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sci-fi, so I might like this. I know what you mean about needing more from the characters, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but if you like sci-fi you might enjoy this!

      Delete
  5. I don't think this would be for me. I really like to connect to my characters even if it fast paced. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One reason why I don't like reading Fantasy and Sci-Fi books is the information dumping. I can't handle too much info, I'm shallow like that, lol. And I'd also like to connect with the characters. But glad to know you still liked this book otherwise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started the final book last month, but I stopped until I can read the first two. It was madness because I had no clue as to who the characters were. I like trying to see if a series ender can be enjoyed without reading the other books, but you can't with something so heavy with science-fiction. I didn't DNF it, because I plan to read this one and the sequel soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete