Thursday, December 17, 2015

Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers Book Review--A 2015 Favorite

23879893
BLURB
Silas Hart has seriously shaken up Westlin Beck's small-town life. Brand new to town, Silas is different than the guys in Green Lake. He's curious, poetic, philosophical, maddening-- and really, really cute. But Silas has a sister-- and she has a secret. And West has a boyfriend. And life in Green Lake is about to change forever.

Truest is a stunning, addictive debut. Romantic, fun, tender, and satisfying, it asks as many questions as it answers.

REVIEW
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
I put off this book for so long, I could smack myself upside the head for neglecting myself of this beautiful piece of literature. 

Truest was everything the blurb claims, "fun, tender and satisfying." Truest touched me because it touched on aspects of my life that are dear to me, love, God, and real life. 

Books too often leave out God for reasons I can assume are fear of judgement and possible misunderstanding. This book is NOT religious, it's not really about GOD, but it has it's moments that were profound and realistic for both a believer and a non-believer. I think that's the beauty of it--being able to be understood by anyone.  I may be bias but I liked that inclusion.

The Romance: Can I just have Silas? Can I have him a la Weird Science style? I just want him to be real. All boys should be this charming, this unintentionally nerdy, and that in love with books. I mean he loves books?! COME ON!

Silas is a twin with a wacky sense of humor, and a deliriously delicious smile--I adored him. I think I smiled just about every time he appeared in the story--which was a lot. I just want to go on and on about him but I won't. I'll spare you, but I really did love him and I know you will too.

West is the daughter of a never there Pastor, a sibling and a girlfriend to the town's football star. She's quirky, and lost, and flailing around at this thing called life. I think that in itself is relatable to just about anyone. 

The story is filled with small town goodness, the kind that leaves you yearning for open skies, and small Podunk shops--where everyone knows you. It's filled with slow growing love, that reaches inside you and hugs you from the inside out. It's complicated and irrational at times, and it's beautiful--and I quite loved it.  Everything is simple, and it's not. Remarkable.

Readers will enjoy this heartwarming romance, and will swoon over Silas--who will steal a piece of your heart right before your very eyes. Highly recommend it!

9 comments:

  1. So since I own this your saying I should read this soon ?? I have heard blogging but great things so I really need to pick it up. You had me laughing at having Silas weird science style. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love it when this happens and also hate it too because you have been missing out for so long? Great review, glad this was fabulous! I still need to read it as well if it makes you feel any better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this book. I have to say that I don't know too much about it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Definitely piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES YES YES! I LOVE this book and want to shout it from the rooftops whenever I see a glowing review. I totally agree with you on the religious themes - they were SO well done and relatable. This made my top ten list for 2015!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I haven't seen this around but it sounds really great!
    I do like a love interest that likes books. That makes them all the more irresistible to me! I'm glad you enjoyed this so much :)

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds great and beautiful! I've always loved book that's set in a small town (not sure why), and Silas sounds like my next book boyfriends ;) Anyway, glad you picked it up, and great review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost jumped on the blog tour for this one. I knew that it would be a great read, and I love YA contemporary, but I had my plate full already. So glad that you love this! Silas sounds like my kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY I am so glad that you loved this one too! It is a favorite of mine, and I am SO glad that more people seem to be picking it up- it needs and deserves more love for sure!! Fabulous review :D
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete