Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhionielle Clayton Book Review


BLURB
Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be the prima at their elite ballet school.

Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the author for this review copy*
DRAMA LLAMA.

Drama is the name of the game folks. Tiny Pretty Things is anything but pretty. It is very Black Swan dramatic. These young prima ballerinas are vicious. Even I clutched my pearls.

I was doing this for almost the entirety of the book. Pushes, and pranks, and sneaky vindictive behavior. These girls are no sweeties.

Tiny Pretty Things tells the story of girls from all walks of life--diversity was present folks. They're a trying to be the best ballerinas they can be--in this elite school that has housed all of the best--and propelled them into greatness. 

You definitely get a feel for the world of this type of dance in this novel--as the author has obvious experience. It's all very well done. 

I think what I enjoyed most was the authors ability to tell the story from multiple POV's and never let it feel overwhelming. I still don't trust anyone but they did a great job of telling a story with a couple of point of views. It does tend to get crazy but they did well.

What I liked: How conflicting your feelings can become for the characters. You love them, you hate them, you just don't know. For me, this was wonderful because it made the book that more exciting to read. I didn't know what to expect, and I love the unexpected!

This fabulous crazy world of dance: I always thought ballet was so well put together and beautiful but it takes such hard work, and it really is something.

The diversity: I'll say this every single time a book haas diversity because I don't see it enough to not mention it when I do. 

The romance: This was a sketchy area, while I could clearly enjoy the hookups I seen--I didn't trust all of the feelings. Guys everyone has it out for everyone so I don't trust everything I'm reading. 

I have to say I was very intrigued by this story because despite my distrust of practically every character--I enjoyed the world I was thrust into--and the characters were very realistic.

The struggles were all very real and I couldn't anticipate pretty much anything--which for me was quite refreshing. I'm quite thrilled with this duo-logy and I very much look forward to the next book.

For a debut they did a bang up job.

*WARNING* You will not get a conclusion in this one if that's what you're seeking--so yes ladies and gents there is a cliffhanger of sorts. So beware!*

18 comments:

  1. This one is on my TBR and I can't wait to read it. I don't usually like cattiness in my YA, but there's something about a school setting that makes me enjoy them more. Add in some rich bitches and I go all in. Glad that you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover gets me every time i see but I actually had no clue what this was about. I am actually more intrigued now. Thanks for the heads up on the ending too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love the cover, and the second book's cover is just as pretty!

      Delete
  3. This does sound good but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that drama yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this during the fall and absolutely loved it! I was lucky enough to meet the authors at a book festival and they were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when there are characters like that - can't decide if you love them or hate them. lol. And that cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I'm curious. Great review. This seems like a good one. With drama, multiple POVs done right, crazy world of dance, and of course romance is in the midst? Gimme gimme. This is my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GIRL! You had me at "drama" Teehee I love books that deal with this even though there are some that beg to differ. I think that as long as it's not just thrown in there for the sake of the book, I'm good! I need a good plot and some good characters and the drama adds to it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know. It sounds like something that will stress me the eff out. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww I'm so glad you loved this. I don't know if you read my review but I was practically raving because this book is pure awesomeness. The author has such a gift for like creating such a dark story with beautiful and intricate characters. They were as delicate as feathers.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete