Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Heartbreakers by Ali Novak Book Review

BLURB
"When I met Oliver Perry, I had no clue he was the lead singer for The Heartbreakers. And he had no idea that I was the only girl in the world who hated his music."
Stella will do anything for her sick sister, Cara—even stand in line for an autographed Heartbreakers CD...for four hours. She's totally winning best birthday gift this year. At least she met a cute boy with soft brown hair and gorgeous blue eyes while getting her caffeine fix. Too bad she'll never see him again.
Except, Stella's life has suddenly turned into a cheesy love song. Because Starbucks Boy is Oliver Perry – lead singer for the Heartbreakers. And even after she calls his music crap, Oliver still gives Stella his phone number. And whispers quotes from her favorite Disney movie in her ear. OMG, what is her life?
But how can Stella even think about being with Oliver — dating and laughing and pulling pranks with the band — when her sister could be dying of cancer?
REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
I will start off by saying I can totally see how some people might read this book and think about how superficial it is, how unoriginal the cancer plot is, and even how cheesy the romance is. But maybe I'm a cheese ball--because I dug this book. I'm not going to rant and rave about it but I liked the book. I enjoyed it. 
I have this thing for girls who get to meet superstars and/or rockstars and they actually click and date--despite the Herculean efforts it would take for this to actually happen in real life. I think because I'm a boy band (B2K for life) lover, I can connect with this story in some way. 
I appreciated how easily the characters were to relate to--I mean come on most of have this mindset that celebrities are like these otherworldly creatures that are so far out of our reach--they may as well be on another planet.  But these celebrities were just normal guys--and I liked that. 
Again, I could have done without the whole cancer theme but it is what it is. I shall not dwell on that. Please don't take this the wrong way. I've had a love one die from cancer--and I am not unaware of the perilous nature of it. BUT it is so overdone, sorry, not sorry. I wouldn't mind seeing stories feature other diseases, that someone may struggle from--give it a new perspective. BUT...
Moving along...I wasn't as blown away with this one like I was with My Life with The Walter Boys but I enjoyed it enough. I loved the boy band, the triplets were cool but all in all it was just an enjoyable read to pass the time. No reasons to go crazy about it but if you see it sitting on the shelf grab it, if it so moves you.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes just enjoying a book is enough. I don't always need it to blow me away. I agree he cancer plot line is a little over done. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a fun light read and definitely a good one after those more emotional or hard reads. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, as long you enjoyed it. :) That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have trouble getting into books with the boyband theme and I can imagine it would be harder with the cancer theme mixed in. But from the sounds of it, the characters were great and that's my main thing when reading Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete