Monday, December 28, 2015

Solitaire by Alice Oseman Book Review

22588585
BLURB
In case you're wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that's all over now.

Now there's Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don't know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don't care about Michael Holden.

I really don't.

REVIEW
TWO OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

No, no, no. This book, just no. This book was for lack of a better word irritating. I spent most of the time forcing myself to continue--and insisting that I do not DNF.

It was all in the characters. Tori, is emo. She is sad, depressed, rude, judgmental, and hard to be around. She was like this black cloud that hung over everything, sucking the life out of everything joyful. I mean she tried--when she wanted to but for the most part, she didn't.

I don't know if she was depressed, or mentally unstable, and just lacking a diagnosis, or what. (Someone call Doc Mcstuffins, this girl has toomuchsadnessinonebodyitis.) But I legit rolled my eyes for practically the entire book, and it's not due to the writing or anything--which was fine, btw.

It was Tori, goodness gracious, how can I not stand thee--let me count the ways. She was pretentious, judgmental, rude, nasty, and dark. I can go on and on. She's completely misunderstood yes, but the girl didn't even try when she was trying. She pushed everyone away and made them feel like crap. I thought at some point, the sun was going to come out and it was going to be all rainbows--and Tori would be over herself and her crap and be semi happy. But no, I just knew I would crack and throw this book back--but I persevered. To prove what, I don't know.


The book's saving grace was Michael, he was odd, and probably also mentally disturbed but he attempted to make the best of it despite it all, and I dug him for that.

The other characters like her brother and his boyfriend were cool, casually funny. The parents were damn near non-existent. I mean all around I was pretty underwhelmed by the story. I'm not entirely sure what the point was but I didn't get it, and quite frankly that's okay. I'm happy to move it along and forget this ever happened.

I was never here. 

OH, and if I never have to see, er..., or erm... in another story it would be too soon. TOO. SOON.


6 comments:

  1. Sorry this one didn't work for you. Doesn't sound like one I would like either. Great review though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this does seem like a depressing read. Sorry, I'm not even sure if Doc McStuffins can diagnose and treat the MC. LOL! Just no. Sorry this was a bust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! These are the type of books that usually put me in a book slump after. Sorry this wasn't for you and I hope your next read is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeeesh. I'd've DNF'd, for sure. You have the patience of a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. There's nowhere to go when the main character is that unlikable and unsympathetic. I hope your next read makes up for this one!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this was why I ended up not reading Solitaire, because it definitely was a book I anticipated in 2015. But just hearing about this judgmental MC further proves that it was a good idea that I didn't buy this book!

    Also that gif is definitely familiar. I forget what its from though.

    ReplyDelete