Monday, December 7, 2015

Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander Book Review

BLURB
Charlie Hanson has a clear vision of his future. A senior at Brighton School of Mathematics and Science, he knows he’ll graduate, go to MIT, and inevitably discover solutions to the universe’s greatest unanswered questions. He’s that smart. But Charlie’s future blurs the moment he reaches out to touch the tattoo on a beautiful girl’s neck. 


The future has never seemed very kind to Charlotte Finch, so she’s counting on the present. She’s not impressed by the strange boy at the donut shop—until she learns he’s a student at Brighton where her sister has just taken a job as the English teacher. With her encouragement, Charlie orchestrates the most effective prank campaign in Brighton history. But, in doing so, he puts his own future in jeopardy. 


By the time he learns she's ill—and that the pranks were a way to distract Ms. Finch from Charlotte’s illness—Charlotte’s gravitational pull is too great to overcome. Soon he must choose between the familiar formulas he’s always relied on or the girl he’s falling for (at far more than 32 feet per second squared).


REVIEW
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
Stories like these are why I read. To put it plainly I really loved this book.

A quirky set of teens that often reminded me of the Peanuts, I loved that Charlie's bestie called him Chuck--gave me total Peanut feels. Charlie is MIT bound, smarter than most of the kids in his class, dedicated to math--and painfully single. Not that it bothers him but he's never been in love. Until he reaches out to touch the tattooed neck of a beautiful stranger.                                                                                    
Charlotte: Charlotte was hard to love at times because she was so here one minute, gone the next--all very aloof and hard to understand. But it does kind of make sense considering her story line. But I liked her for the story all the same. 

With a quirky revenge plot, and a couple of mixed up smart nerdy kids--this story was a treat from sarcastic joke, to crabby old ladies, to sarcastic joke. I loved how the author weaved together these characters. They were all different but meshed so well, and she even made the story diverse. Cheers to diversity.  I love it. 

The plot line itself I will admit wasn't all that original but it was the characters that made this book the winner it was. Charlie was nerdy and funny. His two best friends were fun and quirky--his sister was low key sassy and the romance was heart warming. 

Not to mention they threw in an amusing older women who cracked me up whenever she appeared in the story. 

I could've done without the illness--not to be insensitive but it feels overdone. I feel like the story could have survived without it and it wouldn't have broken my heart either. 

All in all I liked this book. I really did. It was an unconventional love story with a less than HEA ending. It will appeal to FIOS lovers.

10 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this novel. It sounds like a nice and fun read although not completely new. Might still give this one a go though. Great review, Jazmen! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely not new but good nonetheless!

      Delete
  2. I love stories like this one as well, so happy you had so much fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this but sounds like I would love it. I love good characters and these sound quirky in a good way. I don't need a crazy strong plot if I love the characters. Totally checking this out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really liked this one. Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this! I've been waiting for the right motivation to read it and just haven't found the push. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! I loved how all these women messed with Charlie's plans (Becca, Charlotte, Mrs. Dumwity, Ms. Finch, Greta), and made him grow and become a better Charlie. But the part that got me the most, was the author's note at the end. It just gutted me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, an illness?? I don't know if my heart can handle that! But other than that, I love how this book sounds and I've been dying to get my hands on it! So glad it was a great read for you, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete